Just Wow

spenser1058

It’s hard to break a nearly 50-year habit but I seem finally to have done it. It’s been almost six weeks since I set foot in Publix and I finally deleted the Publix app from my phone.

I want to thank Ron DeSantis and his fellow wingnuts (did you see who he just appointed Secretary of State, the person in charge of Florida elections?) for driving me away from those who pander to the GQP.

More and more, Target makes me happy. May Bullseye and I be happy together for a long long time. So long. Publix - mostly, it was a Pleasure.

This Target Circle thing is fun. Sometimes to get the deal I have to buy like 4 boxes of detergent to get the deal. Being single, I’d probably be ready for the nursing home before I used four boxes of Tide. But, sometimes, like today, I got $10 added to my account just for two $20 purchases. Bullseye takes care of me..

Edited by spenser1058

18 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Do you mean row like rowing a boat? No I didn't. I played baseball, football, basketball and soccer. My school was full of preppies when I was a kid though.

Just curious. I rowed for a bit with UCF and this year Edgewater’s hs team is tearing it up.

Growing up,I always wanted to row, but it seemed to be mostly a thing kids did up north. Then, just as I was finishing hs, Dennis Kamrad and some other folks began starting programs locally. Amazingly enough, some of the local programs have thrived (especially the UCF women).

@jgardnerucf noted in Orlando History about saving one of the oldest houses in OC, the Lancaster House. I do hope they’re successful.

Pine Castle and that section of OC does indeed have all sorts of quirky stuff, going back to the actual Pine Castle built in the 19th century. Sadly , it burned years ago.

I’ve always been intrigued by the Navy Sonar Station or whatever it’s called these days. It just seemed so odd to be on a lake instead of the ocean, but that was also true of NTC (that happened because of politics - Sentinel publisher Martin Andersen was buds with LBJ).

Speaking of politics, I rarely get down that way because it tends to be awfully conservative. Pine Castle Methodist, for example, tends to veer further right than most OC Methodist churches.

Also, since 1962, Olde Dixie Fried Chicken continues to warm MAGA hearts most Saturdays (until they run out of cheeken) in a storefront next door to the original. The huge neon sign is gone but they still have a big poster of it in the window at the next door location.

Nevertheless, it’s a funky part of town and here’s hoping they save their historic treasures.

Edited by spenser1058

-You don't know nuthin of these here parts.   The Olde Dixie truck is happily frequented and posted up ready with plenty o customers, come n get it.

-As for the Fort Gatlin sonor station. That's no where near.  Don't get it twisted man.    That is being redeveloped currently.    That depth there also is quite deep. No pun intended.

-PCUMC ain't even around anymore. So what are you even talking about.

-working on getting getting it relocated. Like the last one.

• Like 1

The media mentioned the race of the Buffalo shooter right away and included it in its headlines and showed lots of pictures of the guy. But the Orange County church shooters race hasn't been mentioned, and I had to do a lot of digging to find out he's not a white male. It was hard to find a picture of him at all. Do you think the media has a narrative and an agenda?

On 5/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of politics, I rarely get down that way because it tends to be awfully conservative. Pine Castle Methodist, for example, tends to veer further right than most OC Methodist churches.

I don't pay much attention to the Methodist Church, but apparently storms a brewing on the horizon... https://www.theledger.com/story/opinion/2022/05/16/feuding-methodists-split-imminent/9734930002/

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

The media mentioned the race of the Buffalo shooter right away and included it in its headlines and showed lots of pictures of the guy. But the Orange County church shooters race hasn't been mentioned, and I had to do a lot of digging to find out he's not a white male. It was hard to find a picture of him at all. Do you think the media has a narrative and an agenda?

I'm not sure it pardons the slight you perceive, but I think it is because this situation is more related to foreign issues- China vs Taiwan- as opposed to our home-based crazies. 

4 hours ago, orange87 said:

“Investigators are pursuing federal hate-crime charges against the suspect, identified as David Chou of Las Vegas. Chou already faces one felony count of murder and five felony counts of attempted murder for the Sunday shooting.

Chou is a Chinese-born United States citizen who has lived in the U.S. for “many years” and was “upset by political tensions between China and Taiwan,” Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said during a Monday news conference.”

From The Washington Post 

The mainstream print media like the Post and Times aren’t posting the pics of the shooters much these days so as not to give them the unnecessary attention many of them crave. There’s a reason not to watch the internet and cable garbage these days and even the networks are iffy because they’re after clicks more than anything else.

I’d rather wait for the news and it be correct than have it just thrown out there before it’s verified and everyone’s hyperventilating.

The bottom line is that killing people is wrong no matter your race, sex, national origin, sexual orientation or anything else. Killing them because they’re not like you in some way is particularly heinous. The Vulcans had it right decades ago: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination (IDIC). Live long and prosper.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Investigators are pursuing federal hate-crime charges against the suspect, identified as David Chou of Las Vegas. Chou already faces one felony count of murder and five felony counts of attempted murder for the Sunday shooting.

Chou is a Chinese-born United States citizen who has lived in the U.S. for “many years” and was “upset by political tensions between China and Taiwan,” Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said during a Monday news conference.”

From The Washington Post 

The mainstream print media like the Post and Times aren’t posting the pics of the shooters much these days so as not to give them the unnecessary attention many of them crave. There’s a reason not to watch the internet and cable garbage these days and even the networks are iffy because they’re after clicks more than anything else.

I’d rather wait for the news and it be correct than have it just thrown out there before it’s verified and everyone’s hyperventilating.

The bottom line is that killing people is wrong no matter your race, sex, national origin, sexual orientation or anything else. Killing them because they’re not like you in some way is particularly heinous. The Vulcans had it right decades ago: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination (IDIC). Live long and prosper.

Violence is violence.  I dated a woman once that thought because I weighed 100lbs more than her and was almost 18" taller than her that she had free reign to hit me whenever she liked.  Not "awww shucks" friendly punches to the arm, but like hit me with force if I did anything she didn't agree with.  I told her it was unacceptable and she made fun of me.  That ended the brief relationship.  It didn't matter that she didn't actually hurt me, violence is still unacceptable and frankly it scared the crap out of me that if she's hitting me after 2-3 months of dating where does she go from there?  Does she move to crowbars after 6 months?

Man vs. man or vs. woman.  Woman vs. woman or vs. man.  Race vs. race.  Age vs. age.  Whatever vs. whatever.  It all sucks.

I've always been a fan of rude nicknames for these sorts of people.  The Basement Baby Killer.  The Pathetic Loser Killer.  The Weak Arm Terrorist.  The Brainless Buffoon.  The Inept Idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, orange87 said:

The shooter's ethic background was released immediately on Sunday. That is why the initial thought was it was not a hate crime. 

It probably helps that in Buffalo, it was live streamed and a manifesto was released. Also, most Americans could not pick Taiwan out on a map and/or have no idea about the history of those two countries. Yes I said two countries. 

• Thanks 1

It looks like marijuana will be legalized in both Rhode Island and Delaware by the end of this month. That will make it 20 states plus D.C. that have legalized marijuana so far. Biden needs to wake the hell up on this popular issue that has bipartisan voter support.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

It looks like marijuana will be legalized in both Rhode Island and Delaware by the end of this month. That will make it 20 states plus D.C. that have legalized marijuana so far. Biden needs to wake the hell up on this popular issue that has bipartisan voter support.

On the contrary, it’s less than a majority of states that have legalized it. Florida, the south, and the Midwest need to wake the hell up if you ask a sane person. 

The Federal government cannot take up every fight especially when Republicans are on a crusade to take down Federalism.

I’m far more concerned with women’s reproductive rights going into the slimy hands of men in southern states than I am if you and blaze in those said states.

• Like 1

Just a little something for all us Democrats who seem besieged by an opposition determined to return us to an era in the ‘50’s where one homogeneous group controlled almost everything in the country. It was fine if you were part of the “in” group, but Heaven help you if people like you were never seen on an episode of Leave It To Beaver or The Donna Reed Show.

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00CA89ZBA?do=play&trackAsin=B00CA89ZRO&ref=dm_sh_tSkR6XABbffs3bpFC8s181gAX

And, as Teddy Kennedy so brilliantly reminded us at the 1980 Democratic Convention:

For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.”

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

On the contrary, it’s less than a majority of states that have legalized it. Florida, the south, and the Midwest need to wake the hell up if you ask a sane person. 

The Federal government cannot take up every fight especially when Republicans are on a crusade to take down Federalism.

I’m far more concerned with women’s reproductive rights going into the slimy hands of men in southern states than I am if you and blaze in those said states.

Don't forget about the woman. They are just as likely if not more to be pro life. 

Woohoo! Time to send @HankStrongand @AndyPok1, our two former Ohio lads, off to Kings’ Island for a huge new 50th Anniversary nighttime spectacular. The fireworks will be four times longer and there will be 200! drones.

What a summer in Cincinnati!

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202205/8955/

From Theme Park Insider 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

About a dozen years ago, a friend told me she spent the day volunteering to clean pubic hair off soap. I chuckled that she was crazy, but...

https://thehustle.co/the-surprising-afterlife-of-used-hotel-soap/

• There are  ~5m hotel rooms in the US alone.
  • Pre-pandemic, the average occupancy rate was ~66%.
  • That means that, in normal times, hotels go through ~3.3m bars of soap every day.

Every year, it has been estimated that the hospitality industry generates ~440B pounds of solid waste — much of it soap and bottled amenities. That’s the equivalent weight of 2m blue whales.

What happens to all that leftover soap?

also, https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/travel/clean-the-world-hotel-soap.html

"The organization now has approximately 60 employees, but its beginning was far more humble, with Mr. Seipler and a small group of family and acquaintances scraping used soap by hand with potato peelers in a garage in Orlando."

I guess it depends on your perspective.

Per OBJ, Commercial Realtors ranked Orlando as the number 1 market. Factors:

"Here are some key stats about metro Orlando:

Wages are rising 9% in Orlando, compared to 4% nationally.
The multifamily asking rents are up 26%, compared to 11.4% nationally.
The office vacancy rate is just 8%, compared to 12.2% nationally.
The industrial vacancy rate is 3.6%, compared to 4.1% nationally.
The retail vacancy rate is at 3.8%, compared to 4.5% nationally.
Orlando is a vacation destination, with 19% of the workforce employed in hotel/lodging, compared to 10% nationally."

Let that bolded factor sink in for a minute.

Now, put in a different perspective:

"A family of four needed to make roughly $93,000 a year to afford to live in Central Florida in 2021, according to the latest numbers from Heart of Florida United Way." "The budget includes the following monthly costs:

Housing: $1,594
Child Care: $1,544
Food: $1,605
Transportation: $1,501
Health care: $803
Technology: $100

Miscellaneous: $621

Added up, the total monthly cost to live in Central Florida is $7,769, with an annual total of $93,228.

The least you could make to survive -- housing, food and transportation -- in Central Florida right now is $29,000 a year, according to United Way."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/05/16/nar-central-florida-commercial-market-orlando.html

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/05/16/by-the-numbers-heres-what-it-costs-to-live-in-central-florida/

Just sharing two sides of the coin...

• Like 1

Great news from Down Under - Anthony Albanese of Australia’s Labor Party is likely to be the next PM. Another step in the right direction.

Now it’s up to the good ol’ United States to toss out the odd mixture of anarchy and authoritarianism that has devastated one of our political parties. Get ready to VOTE!

Edited by spenser1058

Something I didn’t know - Anaheim is larger than Orlando (based on city population).

All of you that are in to how tall the buildings are will be glad to know we’re eating their lunch on that so far (it could change by 2025).

The More You Know…

Edited by spenser1058