Just Wow

spenser1058

Now, here’s what we’re missing out on - US Major League Cricket! Dallas is rapidly emerging as the epicenter of the sport, thanks to lots and lots of tech jobs attracting South Asians to the region.

Among the investors of the new league are Ross Perot, Jr. (is there a giant sucking sound playing cricket)?

Let’s forget about baseball, cricket is where it’s at! (We should note baseball is an American spinoff of cricket - which the Founding Fathers played - but cricket apparently requires a lot more energy.)

Call Pat Williams - our team can be called the Jiminy Crickets!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/20/texas-cricket/

From The Washington Post 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Meanwhile in Connecticut while red states go off the deep end:

- Still has reproductive rights.
- Relatively mild summer temperatures.
- State minimum wage will rise to $15/hr next year.
- Free community college for CT high school grads.
- Sensible safe gun laws.
- Marijuana is legal.
- Has it's own state-run health insurance marketplace.
- Robust environmentally friendly policies.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Meanwhile in Connecticut while red states go off the deep end:

- Still has reproductive rights.
- Relatively mild summer temperatures.
- State minimum wage will rise to $15/hr next year.
- Free community college for CT high school grads.
- Sensible safe gun laws.
- Marijuana is legal.
- Has it's own state-run health insurance marketplace.
- Robust environmentally friendly policies.

“Relatively mild summer temperatures” - wanna talk about those winter temperatures? Actually, the worst part of living in the cold zone wasn’t the temperature - it was having to bundle up in 17 layers just to run out to the 7-Eleven. Thanks, but I’ll take heat over cold any day although our state government going to h**l in a handbasket is making me reconsider that for the first time. Of course, much of that is because of the influx of northern retiree carpetbaggers along the I-75 and I-95 corridors. Since the infrastructure of the old Cross-Florida Barge Canal path is falling apart, maybe we can get The Donald to build a wall along there…

• Like 1

It’s PRIDE weekend in St. Pete, one of the biggest such events in the Southeast.

I’m pleased to report both Democratic candidates for governor, Charlie Crist (GO CHARLIE!) and Nikki Fried, marched in the parade.

As usual, Ron DeStingy, who gave us the Don’t Say Gay nonsense, was nowhere in sight. It’s always good to know who values your existence, especially since Clarence Thomas and his four wackadoodle buddies on SCOTUS are poised to come after our rights next.

@jrs2, this election for governor in Illinois is priceless:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/26/us/politics/illinois-governor-bailey-irvin-pritzker.html?referringSource=articleShare 

From The NY Times

It’s nice to know the Florida Democratic Party is not the most clueless state organization in the country. Illinois GOPers have us beat by a mile!

Hollywood wondered how to get old folks back to the movie theater. It seems the answer is to take them back to the Ike and Reagan eras (with “Elvis” and “Top Gun: Maverick” respectively). 

Never has a group of people been so obsessed with what happened back when they were young than the Boomers. I should know since I are one (albeit from the late end of the cohort) but, strangely, neither interests me (although I admit the idea of Tom Hanks as Col. Parker does make me smile).

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s PRIDE weekend in St. Pete, one of the biggest such events in the Southeast.

I’m pleased to report both Democratic candidates for governor, Charlie Crist (GO CHARLIE!) and Nikki Fried, marched in the parade.

As usual, Ron DeStingy, who gave us the Don’t Say Gay nonsense, was nowhere in sight. It’s always good to know who values your existence, especially since Clarence Thomas and his four wackadoodle buddies on SCOTUS are poised to come after our rights next.

Except the other four were clear Obergefell is not in jeopardy. Especially Kavanaugh. On top of that, Obergefell has strong standing under equal protection. Thomas is on an island. 

6 minutes ago, jack said:

Except the other four were clear Obergefell is not in jeopardy. Especially Kavanaugh. On top of that, Obergefell has strong standing under equal protection. Thomas is on an island. 

Kavanaugh also told Sen. Collins that Roe was established precedent. He lies. We were told how many times Roe was not in jeopardy? This rogue court does what it pleases. And it all goes back to McConnell’s ever-changing rules - Garland couldn’t be voted it on because it was too close to an election but it was OK with Barrett. Republicans lie, just like their president and their propagandists with the “Big Lie”. They have no honor.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Kavanaugh also told Sen. Collins that Roe was established precedent. He lies. We were told how many times Roe was not in jeopardy? This rogue court does what it pleases. And it all goes back to McConnell’s ever-changing rules - Garland couldn’t be voted it on because it was too close to an election but it was OK with Barrett. Republicans lie, just like their president and their propagandists with the “Big Lie”. They have no honor.

It is established precedent. It does not mean it cannot be overturned (Lochner, Plessy and Dread Scott). 

NASCAR champ Chase Elliott thinks Nashville races should be at their traditional Fairgrounds speedway close to downtown instead of the superspeedway built in BFE (out in Lebanon):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nascar/os-sp-nashville-folo-0628-20220627-cbfld6isxfafpm7egmohn4x63u-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I’m with Chase - Davidson County ROCKS! Wilson County - not so much… I’m guessing if we follow the money, however, the newer venue probably brings in more revenue *sigh*.

Fortunately, IndyCar still runs on the streets in town and SRX is still at the Fairgrounds.

Corporate execs being bad in Florida:

Attack the messenger: FPL consultants spy on newspaper columnist. | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-fpl-consultants-investigate-journalists-scott-maxwell-20220628-7dwa574lfzezbkie5oscuh5htm-story.html

From The Sentinel

Wanna guess which political party they’re in? I bet you can…

The attempt to take over JEA reminds me of an Orlando mayor who hatched the idea (along with his consigliere) of trying to sell off OUC when he first took office. Wanna guess which mayor it is? I bet you can…

Edited by spenser1058

Ooooh, Orlando’s getting edgy with its email about “Fireworks At the Fountain”:

A lot of people probably don’t want to celebrate our nation right now, and we can’t blame them. When there is so much division, hate and unrest, why on earth would you want to have a party celebrating any of it? 

But in all seriousness, you know in your heart, Fourth of July fireworks are amazing, especially when you are standing in 90° heat, 100% humidity, next to 100,000 of your closest friends. In that moment, something takes over and we all become united in an inexplicable bond. Yes, America is in strife right now, but you know what...we already bought the fireworks.  

From The City of Orlando 

i’d love to know what intern slipped that one through - it’s definitely a far cry from the usual pablum the City sends out. Maybe some of the geezers running the city are giving the postmillennial folks a shot. In any event, I’m impressed.

AG Nikki Fried is using the beloved Tom Petty song for her gubernatorial campaign with support from the Petty family.

That’s unlike The Donald, who stole use of the song for his rallies despite vociferous complaints from the Pettys.

Then again, that’s what we expect from slime who ignore the laws of the country.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/536300-nikki-fried-wont-back-down-and-shes-got-the-rights-to-the-classic-song-boosting-her/

From Florida Politics

17 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

timage.thumb.jpeg.f1334df04ea636ebce0851946a82b8da.jpeg

This was posted to twitter about a half hour ago

Oh dear, I rather liked it - the city could stand a little to something to get us geezers excited every now and then. Back to the pablum, I suppose. 

I had the thought that Aaron DeGroft’s new job was writing emails for the city!

Edited by spenser1058