Just Wow

spenser1058

https://mises.org/library/fiasco-fiat-money

It is the artificial lowering of the market interest rate that also induces an artificial boom, which leads to overconsumption and malinvestment, and which must ultimately end in a bust. Mises put it succinctly:

The boom cannot continue indefinitely. There are two alternatives. Either the banks continue the credit expansion without restriction and thus cause constantly mounting price increases and an ever-growing orgy of speculation, which, as in all other cases of unlimited inflation, ends in a "crack-up boom" and in a collapse of the money and credit system. Or the banks stop before this point is reached, voluntarily renounce further credit expansion and thus bring about the crisis. The depression follows in both instances.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

Oh dear, I rather liked it - the city could stand a little to something to get us geezers excited every now and then. Back to the pablum, I suppose. 

I had the thought that Aaron DeGroft’s new job was writing emails for the city!

Oh, this is just so Orlando in late-stageBuddydom. The FOP leading the charge on this is the height of hypocrisy- they’re one of the most divisive groups in the city.

A little snark is good for the soul and I thought they hit all the unity notes in the process. Oh, if only Buddy had stayed in jail just a little longer and Billy Manes had taken charge…one thing’s for sure, we wouldn’t be The City Boring.

Orlando censures staffers who cited ‘division’ in 4th of July newsletter 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-july4-newsletter-controversy-20220708-c6rztzaaijednhnffarooopulq-story.html

From The Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

The debt literally doesn't matter. The fed could wipe it out today with a keystroke and send us into a massive recession/depression if they wanted. Like holy crap these are some insane thoughts in this thread.

Debt doesn't matter??

On 7/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, jack said:

And plunge the world into a recession? What about individual debt owners? All of that debt is held by an entity. Some of it is the US government, other are foreign investors, US citizens, etc. 

This.

Money isn't real and debt doesn't matter... until it's your personal investment, hard earned dollars, or nest egg that evaporates.

@orange87, are y’all smoking some really strong Nutmeg up there in Connecticut or is it something in the water? UCONN football coach Jim Mora is telling recruits he’s looking to join the ACC. Hmmm, one of the worst teams in college football that couldn’t even survive in the AAC…

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/09/uconn-commit-jim-more-says-his-goal-is-for-program-to-join-acc

From Sports Illustrated 

I’m also curious how all those folks up there who moved Heaven and earth to get hoops back in the Big East are taking to that idea.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

OCLS is now automatically renewing your books shortly before the due date unless someone has a hold on it. Not to mention they have free delivery to your door if you want. I like that.

We’re blessed with one of the most user-friendly public lending libraries in the country. It also goes to show what a difference it makes when public services have a dedicated funding source and don’t have to go constantly begging for money from the county commission. 

Hopefully, Lynx (and SunRail, if it ends up where it should), will soon benefit from that.

VOTE “YES” IN NOVEMBER!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

“At $4.42 per gallon, Florida’s average gas price now is 42 cents lower than the peak, and lower than it has been since mid-May, according to AAA — The Auto Club Group.”

“However, there is still concerns about global fuel supplies, which is keeping somewhat of a floor on prices,” Jenkins added. “Unless there’s a sudden rebound in the price of oil, the state average should drop below $4.30 this week.”

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

Nothing Runs Like a Deere!

“A Florida man was arrested over the weekend after trying to outrun deputies on a John Deere lawn mower, according to the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-lawnmower-chase-florida-man-john-deere-20220711-3d2vmqbpirf7rh4xg3f4vcdnue-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

Oh, this is just so Orlando in late-stageBuddydom. The FOP leading the charge on this is the height of hypocrisy- they’re one of the most divisive groups in the city.

A little snark is good for the soul and I thought they hit all the unity notes in the process. Oh, if only Buddy had stayed in jail just a little longer and Billy Manes had taken charge…one thing’s for sure, we wouldn’t be The City Boring.

Orlando censures staffers who cited ‘division’ in 4th of July newsletter 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-july4-newsletter-controversy-20220708-c6rztzaaijednhnffarooopulq-story.html

From The Sentinel

Imagine being so soft that you have to complain to City Hall about this.

A society this sensitive will have a tough time making it in life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, jack said:

Imagine being so soft that you have to complain to City Hall about this.

A society this sensitive will have a tough time making it in life.

Well, it was the FoP. We’ve been seeing just how soft the police are lately so I guess we shouldn’t be shocked..

As some of you may know, the United Methodist Church, following in the footsteps of other mainline denominations, has decided a split is in order between congregations who accept the world’s progression into the 21st century (and the fact that science has taught us a few things since the Bible was written - that was the message of UMC’s tagline, ‘Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors’) and those who desperately want to turn back the clock.

Well, the lawsuits have begun and we now have an idea of the churches content to go back in time. I had to chuckle about the congregation leading the retreat in Florida seems to be in Lawtey, which was infamous for one of the state’s worst speed traps for years.

As I have mentioned before, Pine Castle Methodist is there with its far-right thinking, along with a few other local congregations I’m sad to see.

Of course, FUMCO and St. Luke’s (Dr Phillips) are absent from the list as they are progressive beacons for the community here, as are Broadway (on Amelia St), and I’m pleased to report, Winter Garden. 

I’m proud to be a Methodist, and hopefully as we move beyond all the pain and sorrow from the split, it will allow each of us to return to the important work of serving our communities.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/2022/07/15/united-methodist-church-florida-lawsuit-gay-lgbtq-same-sex-marriage-bishop-schism/10071027002/

From the News Journal 

Cows on roadway block all lanes of Florida’s Turnpike in Osceola
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-cows-florida-turnpike-lanes-blocked-20220718-hx4tt5v4uvfxhj5trm3ubv3yaa-story.html 

From The Sentinel 

Looks like the USF football team has started camp a little early… I wonder if they each have SunPass?

The bad news is the price of a first-class stamp goes to 60c today (although your Forever stamps are still good whatever price you paid for them).

Since I wonder how many of us that actually has any effect on I have other news!

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Rick Scott telling us what wonderful jobs he was creating by Wawa coming to Florida. Although that might be a little dodgy (as are most things Skeletor does), it is great to have Wawa’s wonderful subs and sammiches here. To celebrate, coffee and fountain soft drinks are on the house today- woohoo!

Before our OCD folks start rioting, I thought I’d best move this here from the Downtown thread. Anyway, I was watching Lifeguard, the 1976 Sam Elliott film that I haven’t seen in years.

I hadn’t thought about it, but it made me immediately think of The Rockford Files. Both Rick Carlson and Jim Rockford were blue-collar types who lived at the beach in SoCal. Carlson had a ‘vette and Rockford a Firebird.

The background scenes were quite similar and the cocktail lounges from that era are very familiar. 

Lifeguard represented the return of the Hollywood beefcake movie after years of anti-hero films (Dustin Hoffman was many things, but a sex symbol he wasn’t).

Edited by spenser1058

Not only does revisiting the classic Broadway musical production of “Oliver!” (Dickens’ tale of childhood poverty and abuse) in a Central Florida rundown motel setting (like you’d find in “Florida Project”), make an important point, I’m thrilled it’s taking place at the very progressive St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Dr. Phillips.

This is what “Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors” is all about. Not only that, the Sentinel’s Matt Palm notes some fine acting and singing taking place.

Go see this one if you can.

Critic’s Pick: ‘Oliver!’ emotionally hits very close to home | Review
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-oliver-review-st-lukes-church-matthew-palm-20220723-7q4gjd2erfbhlkkn677c5obw7q-story.html

Edited by spenser1058

Suspected fireworks prompts active shooter scare at Florida Mall. No shots fired
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-florida-mall-active-shooter-scare-20220723-dq6lh7y2rjfidfds4kfwrd5hwm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Have you noticed that, compared to some of the other ones in town , Altamonte Mall is downright peaceful? We rarely hear about these “extracurricular activities” happening there.

While we’re at Altamonte, do you suppose Seritage has plans to redo the former Sears space anytime soon? When it comes to American retailing, Eddie Lampert continues to be an absolute nightmare.

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Suspected fireworks prompts active shooter scare at Florida Mall. No shots fired
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-florida-mall-active-shooter-scare-20220723-dq6lh7y2rjfidfds4kfwrd5hwm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Have you noticed that, compared to some of the other ones in town , Altamonte Mall is downright peaceful? We rarely hear about these “extracurricular activities” happening there.

While we’re at Altamonte, do you suppose Seritage has plans to redo the former Sears space anytime soon? When it comes to American retailing, Eddie Lampert continues to be an absolute nightmare.

Another one at Universal? I think I heard that on the radio this morning, but I missed most of the report.

• Like 1