Jump to content

Just Wow


spenser1058

Recommended Posts

On 7/28/2022 at 1:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Is life really worth living without a Choco Taco?

 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:42 PM, angela1117 said:

They were totally worth the calories and the sugar! I'm sad and will have to go drown my sorrows at Kelly's. :)

Don't despair just yet.

There's a possibility they may rethink that decision, possibly based on the public's reaction.

I heard it reported on Sunday Today with Willie Grist, that the Klondike company executives plan to discuss the matter.

In the meantime, if you really loved them, let the company know.

Voice your displeasure directly to them via social media.

I recall just a few years ago, people got some kind of similar corporate decision reversed.

Some candy bar, I think.

Maybe Peeps. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re right, of course. I try to forget Shatner when I can and my mind blocks him out. The Great Bird of the Galaxy was not a big fan of Sir Patrick, but he, along with Voyager’s captain  Kate Mulgrew, are my favorites.

Avery Brooks was fine in DS9 but I’ll always think of him as Hawk in Spenser: For Hire.

Speaking of the 1st pilot, it’s interesting to ponder if Jeffrey Hunter (aka “Malibu Jesus”) had been available for the second pilot.

@JFW657, were you ever a Trekkie or (as Shatner put it), did you have a life <g>?

Nope.

Never cared anything about Star Battle  Galactica Trek Wars.  

Etc, etc.

I did find Flesh Gordon highly amusing, though.  

And CE3K is one of my all time fave flicks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

 

Don't despair just yet.

There's a possibility they may rethink that decision, possibly based on the public's reaction.

I heard it reported on Sunday Today with Willie Grist, that the Klondike company executives plan to discuss the matter.

In the meantime, if you really loved them, let the company know.

Voice your displeasure directly to them via social media.

I recall just a few years ago, people got some kind of similar corporate decision reversed.

Some candy bar, I think.

Maybe Peeps. 

Unilever can’t desert me - I’ve been using Lipton tea bags forever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/choco-taco-might-not-discontinued-152521121.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/choco-taco-maker-klondike-discussing-next-steps-fans-mourn-discontinuation-2022-7

:thumbsup: 

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Unilever can’t desert me - I’ve been using Lipton tea bags forever!

They might continue to dessert you, though. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of the 1st pilot, it’s interesting to ponder if Jeffrey Hunter (aka “Malibu Jesus”) had been available for the second pilot.

Well, he might have lived a lot longer.  Although, 4 years is a long time  and who knows how many other decisions he would've made in the middle.  Would a Hunter led Star Trek have lasted 10+ seasons?  Would it have been cancelled midway through season 1?  No one knows.

If you don't know Star Trek: The Original Series (often abbreviated TOS) filmed the 1st pilot a lot differently than the version most of us watched in reruns as kids, except Spense who watched it live.  It was a pretty different tone/feel from the Shatner version.  Most people who watched TOS  know they took that pilot (called "The Cage" originally) and re-used some of it to spread the series out.  They were behind production schedule and low on budget, so they filmed a mid-season two-parter called "The Menagerie" that basically just had a few characters in a limited set showing the previously filmed pilot as a trial film.  I'm not sure how they retconned the perfect filming into the story, but I'm sure they flimsily did.  Usually, this was just left to "well this is the future, in the future they have the ability to do stuff like that."

I'm no Trekkie/Trekker, but I'm Trek-adjacent because I enjoy it without the extreme love of it.  I couldn't win a trivia contest, but I probably know more than the casual viewer would ever know.

A fun thing that cutting the pilot up into a future episode did was force them to put a time gap between the pilot and TOS.  The events of the pilot were shoved backwards in Star Trek time to 11 years before the first episode of TOS.  This meant absolutely nothing in the 60s.  I'm sure it was a random decision and a thing of little to no consequence.  In 2022 that means they have an eleven year gap to play with for the latest series, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.  Hunter's character of Captain Pike is back.  It just wrapped what I thought was a very solid first season.  Bringing this back to the lovely Nichelle Nichols, a young Uhura is in this series and although Nichols was already pretty lost to dementia by the time the casting was done, apparently the news of bringing her character back as a young woman made her smile.  

Edited by HankStrong
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s frustrating that the nomenclature for the UCF Knights has been set for several years now but sports writers are still messing it up (I just read a story about Big XII Commissioner Yormark from an AP writer who got it wrong again).

It’s UCF, not Central Florida. We haven’t been the “Golden Knights” (isn’t that Vegas’ hockey team now?) in a decade or more, about two or three AD’s ago - we’re just plain Knights.

It is fine to call us the Florida Tech Citronauts, though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 ‘Regulars of downtown Orlando say that, while seven people being shot in a single incident might be surprising, violence feels commonplace to the area. Johnny Prevatt, who has worked security for multiple downtown bars, says he refuses to go downtown at night anymore because it’s “too sketchy.” “Downtown has gotten steadily worse in the last 10 years,” Prevatt, 43, said.‘

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-ne-orlando-downtown-shooting-mayor-safety-measures-20220801-6on3cg5bozeejogq5fmzmc4nh4-story.html

From The Sentinel

The thing is, they knew they had a problem 20 years ago when Mayor Glenda left. Of course, she tried to bring it under control and the bar owners began a smear campaign against her.

As soon as announced she was going to work for Jeb!, they looked for a candidate they could control and got him elected (it being a special election, they knew turnout would be incredibly light).

In the last twenty years, rather than taking the steps to revive the downtown core, reduce the number of bars and add other retail and attractions, Barkeep Buddy did the bidding of the bar owners and let it become the massive dive that only the bar owners profit from.

Buddy’s apologists will point to recent incidents at MK and City Walk to say it’s everywhere. Yes, Gun violence has gotten out of control but in those venues they’re isolated incidents.

In Buddy’s downtown, this has been an ongoing issue since he was first put in office.

But, hey, as usual, the apologists will tell you none of this is Buddy’s fault, because with his six-figure salary, he’s responsible for nothing. Welcome to Buddy’s Orlando- make sure and avoid downtown. That’ll be great for the Arena and DPCPA, won’t it? Ironically, it’s gotten so bade, recently even the bar owners are moving.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scott J revisits his ride from Oregon to Mass. 40 years ago on a bike:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/categoryblog/82-travel-log/scott-joseph-travels/6125-the-great-ride

It reminded me of my two longer trips, cycling from Nashville to NOLA on one and from Orlando to Nashville on the other.

He’s right about the logging trucks. There were three of us riding through South Georgia on US 23 single file and it was clear some of the truck drivers had it out for us. I was never so happy as when we got to Macon - we didn’t have any problems after that. 

That was in 1981 and 1982. I saw Breaking Away 17 times in 1979  (this was when you had to go to the theater - films on VCR were just becoming a thing and streaming was an episode of Star Trek). It’s still my favorite movie and why I’ll always have the warm fuzzies for IU.

Cycling was an eye-opener for me - I had never been athletic. As Bart says in “Making Love”, “the only thing athletic I ever did as a kid was jump to conclusions a lot”. That would lead me to rowing at UCF as a novice which was another great adventure and when I learned just how great it was to be part of a team.
 


 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It reminded me of my two longer trips, cycling from Nashville to NOLA on one and from Orlando to Nashville on the other.

He’s right about the logging trucks. There were three of us riding through South Georgia on US 23 single file and it was clear some of the truck drivers had it out for us. I was never so happy as when we got to Macon - we didn’t have any problems after that. 

Road biking is scarier than people think.

I used to work with a man that rode.  Twice a year he & his buddies would bike about150 miles away, stay in a lodge he owned for the night, and bike 150 miles back home the next day.  One year a semi hit the guy at the rear of the pack.  Thankfully his friend didn't die, but he was quite severely messed up.  I believe for life.

A woman I knew was training for a super bike race and some idiot decided it was a great idea to slap her on the butt as his buddy drove past her.  This caused her to lose control and get run over by a truck behind them.  She broke both legs, an arm, and I think her pelvis?  According to him it was "just an innocent prank."  Right!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something I’ve always wondered about: when Allied Department Stores decided to expand in Florida in the early ‘60’s, why did they choose to brand the stores Jordan Marsh after a nameplate primarily in Massachusetts rather than going with Maas Brothers, which was already well entrenched in the state, albeit mostly on the Gulf coast?

Both were part of Allied (Maas being one of the earlier to join them). After all these years, no one has ever been able to answer that for me. Of course, when JM came to CP in 1962 (had it not been for a failed land deal, it would have been downtown), my thoroughly Southern mother referred to it as “the Yankee store” and kept shopping at Ivey’s. I didn’t like that because I was amazed with all the escalators at JM. They also had a huge faux oak tree on the first floor that was decorated for each season which impressed me as a kid.

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From WaPo comments:

Apropos of nothing, the use of waffle as a verb always reminds me of the Guardian headline for an article detailing Parliament liberals' ambivalence about a brief war with Argentina: 

“British Left Waffles on Falklands”

Did they ever get them back? Or did they have to wait for a Waffle House in the UK? Enquiring minds want to know!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In other news, the past 24 hours have been really tough for Donny

FBI executes search warrant at Trump's Mar-a-Lago in document investigation

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/mar-a-lago-search-warrant-fbi-donald-trump/index.html

Appeals court says House can obtain Trump's taxes from the IRS

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/politics/appeals-court-house-trump-taxes-opinion/index.html

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, orange87 said:

In other news, the past 24 hours have been really tough for Donny

FBI executes search warrant at Trump's Mar-a-Lago in document investigation

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/mar-a-lago-search-warrant-fbi-donald-trump/index.html

Appeals court says House can obtain Trump's taxes from the IRS

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/politics/appeals-court-house-trump-taxes-opinion/index.html

Not to mention what is brewing up in Fulton Co…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Not to mention what is brewing up in Fulton Co…

What’s fun is the wingnuts are calling to “defund the FBI” (even though this was a properly executed search warrant and access was gained with the assistance of Cheetohead’s Secret Service protection).

Hypocrisy, thy name is GQP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What’s fun is the wingnuts are calling to “defund the FBI” (even though this was a properly executed search warrant and access was gained with the assistance of Cheetohead’s Secret Service protection).

Hypocrisy, thy name is GQP!

it's actually a brilliant deception and I would've done the same thing to get the same effect...Bravo Walt and your exclusive Club...Somehow I got on Cheetohead's text thing and I purposely left it active to track things.  This story came down yesterday around 6ish pm and the first text I got about it was this am.  If this was real He would have been screaming bloody murder immediately. 

I told you all before, it's k-fabe.  Does the FBI seriously think He would keep important documents there after "everything" he went through?  Common sense tells you that he wouldn't.  And for people to believe the media on this issue you have to be way more gullible than I even thought was possible.  Even the "wingnuts" are part of the deception.

And the timing of this is perfect too.   Man, the "veil" is really dark...sorry, guys, there's only so much I can do to "lift" it from your eyes...I can lift it, but you also have to "want" to see.  But too many of you need the veil, so, carry on...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it's actually a brilliant deception and I would've done the same thing to get the same effect...Bravo Walt and your exclusive Club...Somehow I got on Cheetohead's text thing and I purposely left it active to track things.  This story came down yesterday around 6ish pm and the first text I got about it was this am.  If this was real He would have been screaming bloody murder immediately. 

I told you all before, it's k-fabe.  Does the FBI seriously think He would keep important documents there after "everything" he went through?  Common sense tells you that he wouldn't.  And for people to believe the media on this issue you have to be way more gullible than I even thought was possible.  Even the "wingnuts" are part of the deception.

And the timing of this is perfect too.   Man, the "veil" is really dark...sorry, guys, there's only so much I can do to "lift" it from your eyes...I can lift it, but you also have to "want" to see.  But too many of you need the veil, so, carry on...

I think you miss that Cheetohead feels no need to hide things because he doesn’t believe the rules apply to him. Hubris will, in the end be his downfall, just like every other wannabe dictator.

In any event, I’m less concerned with his response than the GOP’s. It’s scary just how badly history will regard these folks. Fortunately, we won’t have to wait that long. They’ve already screwed up their chances in the Senate. They’re trending down in states like PA and GA where it should have been a cakewalk for them, just to name two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I think you miss that Cheetohead feels no need to hide things because he doesn’t believe the rules apply to him. Hubris will, in the end be his downfall, just like every other wannabe dictator.

In any event, I’m less concerned with his response than the GOP’s. It’s scary just how badly history will regard these folks. Fortunately, we won’t have to wait that long. They’ve already screwed up their chances in the Senate. They’re trending down in states like PA and GA where it should have been a cakewalk for them, just to name two.

it's all a scam.  Both parties; they each play their respective roles.  Cheetohead was controlled opposition.    I've said it before, the small government-minded GOP passes the Patriot Act; spends billions on nuclear arms, and even proposes the NWO; a major event for every decade- the '80's, '90's, and '00's.  And Trump was in the '10's, where He makes the big arms deal with Saudi, and creates another major branch of the military- in a vacuum, it sure sounds like the big government Democrats to me, wouldn't you agree, in the classical sense?  Yeah, it does.  At the end of the day, they package policies with certain figureheads to get them passed.  This is why Obama was chosen over Hillary by the DNC; The Cheetohead experiment (which is still ongoing) was  pretty clever.  It was done for many reasons.  The Dog and Pony Show continues.  I'll let the experts continue discussing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What’s fun is the wingnuts are calling to “defund the FBI” (even though this was a properly executed search warrant and access was gained with the assistance of Cheetohead’s Secret Service protection).

Hypocrisy, thy name is GQP!

Sarah Huckabee Sanders agrees.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 8.14.51 PM.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m still getting used to Hormel (the SPAM folks) now owning Planters, but they are starting to make it their own. 

After having the same plastic jar design for dry roasted peanuts (I still remember when it was a glass jar!), they’ve changed both the jar and label design (the PLANTERS logo is the same), but they seem to be going with “irreverent” Mr. Peanut on the product now, not just the TV ads. On the honey roasted peanuts, for example, honey is spilled all around (including on his suit) and he has this shocked look.

Anyway, quite an update for a classic product, but it works. Hormel’s a good company, so I’m looking forward to this.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

“More than half of Americans between ages 16 and 74 read below the sixth-grade level. ”

We’re still confirming most of those folks are FAUX News viewers…

Remember, democrats winning college graduates is a recent phenomenon, I think Obama was the 1st democrat ever. And trump was the 1st republican to ever lose white college graduates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.