Just Wow

spenser1058

This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands,--This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England!”

-William Shakespeare, Richard II

Godspeed, Your Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. The only queen of the UK most of us have ever known, she ruled with class and maintained a uniquely British gentility even as she showed great strength. 

“my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service.” - Princess Elizabeth, 1947

Edited by spenser1058

53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

“my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service.” - Princess Elizabeth, 1947

Spoiler alert! It was really long.

She really seemed like quite an amazing woman.  She showed a lot of class.  I'm not a huge royal fan and I don't know a lot about them, but that woman really seemed to be an extremely respectable person.

Edited by HankStrong

20 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It’s not hard to see why some circles are concerned about the future of UK monarchy without her.

I’m cautiously optimistic. Prince William and Princess Kate seem to have the concept of being the perfect family down pat and their son Prince Louis appears to have the ability to keep things entertaining (assuming they can keep him out of trouble once he hits adolescence).

QEII imploring that Camilla be accepted as Queen Consort seems to be calming things down on the main front with King Charles.

Hopefully, Charles (or, for that matter, Canterbury) will never try to force any of the family to marry someone they didn’t love (not to mention it would have been near impossible to pick a worse match for Charles than Diana, or vice versa). That in itself will go a long way in preventing a huge disconnect.

Dows anyone else besides me see a similar dynamic between Harry and Meghan as there was with John and Yoko? If true, it explains a lot.

Edited by spenser1058

‘To promote his ideas on traditional architecture on what he calls “the human scale,” Charles has created — completely from scratch — an experimental planned community for 6,000 residents and 180 businesses, called Poundbury, with low-rise buildings, front gardens, reduced car use, designed upon the “new urbanism” that the king has called his “vision for Britain.”’

From The Washington Post 

Long Live the King!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/09/how-will-king-charles-rule/

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/9/2022 at 12:51 PM, spenser1058 said:

Dows anyone else besides me see a similar dynamic between Harry and Meghan as there was with John and Yoko? If true, it explains a lot.

Not John and Yoko so much but I do get a Duke and Duchess of Windsor feeling in that they gave everything up for each other. I saw a headline that the brothers have reconciled though so hopefully that works out for them.

• Like 1

Nebraska has fired Head Coach Scott Frost:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nebraska-fires-scott-frost-cornhuskers-pay-massive-buyout-to-dismiss-coach-three-games-into-fifth-season/

From CBS Sports

The assumption was that if a dismissal were coming, it would have been after Oct 1 when the payout to Frosty would have been cut in half from $15 to $7.5 million. Apparently, though, the Huskers simply couldn’t take it anymore after yesterday’s loss to Georgia Southern.

Coach Frost led our Knights to an NCAA-recognized National Championship in 2017 and was reticent about leaving. He even discussed many of the potential pitfalls with local folks including the Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi.

Nevertheless, due to pleas by his father in declining health and his former Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne, he made the decision to go. 

Ironically, the coach at Ga Southern who led to Frosty’s demise was Clay Helton, who is having some success at rebuilding the Statesboro program after being fired at USC. So, who knows, Scott may yet find his way back to Florida and an opportunity to bring UCFast back to life, even if it’s at another school.

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/9/2022 at 12:51 PM, spenser1058 said:

Dows anyone else besides me see a similar dynamic between Harry and Meghan as there was with John and Yoko? 

I don't get that at all.  I'm not super plugged in, but that seems like a very unfair assessment.  It seems Harry has been very much tortured by his mother's death, how everything was handled, and the like.  Meghan seems to come from a lot of strife as well.  If they truly married for love instead of their futures (his royal one, her Hollywood one) to make a better life together, I'm 100% for it.

Does it seem impossible that her mixed race played a factor in how she has been treated?  It's plausible, really plausible.  Is it surprising that an inbred and insular community like those that surround (even if it wasn't the royals themselves) the monarchy do not like outsiders, especially outsiders that are different than they are? NO.

Woohoo! Let’s all head out to Beautiful Downtown Osteen:

“In Volusia County, the Circle K station on the corner of State Road 415 and Doyle Road in Osteen remained the cheapest on Monday morning, selling regular gasoline for $3.05 a gallon. The nearby Walmart station at 105 Howland Blvd. in Deltona was the next cheapest, where its price for regular was $3.09.”

From The News Journal 

*JOEMENTUM!*

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! Let’s all head out to Beautiful Downtown Osteen:

“In Volusia County, the Circle K station on the corner of State Road 415 and Doyle Road in Osteen remained the cheapest on Monday morning, selling regular gasoline for $3.05 a gallon. The nearby Walmart station at 105 Howland Blvd. in Deltona was the next cheapest, where its price for regular was $3.09.”

From The News Journal 

*JOEMENTUM!*

Will probably be under $3/gallon nationwide just in time for the election. Nobody in their right mind could say things were better in the final months of Trump's Presidency than they currently are under President Biden. Sanity is slowly returning to America.

• Like 1

Krugman hits a home run with this one about MAGA’s belief in big, bad masculinity running into reality as Ukraine rolls over Putin’s troops - it would be hilarious if, sadly, it weren’t so accurate about how these wackadoodles think:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/12/opinion/ukraine-deflates-maga-macho-myths.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

The world has changed and they’re still stuck in a Rambo movie *sigh*.

From The New York Times 

Edited by spenser1058

More shooting downtown:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-shots-fired-downtown-orlando-20220919-iqp3pg35e5gzlfp2he73thex74-story.html

From The Sentinel 

I haven’t figured out yet what the better part of two days’ worth of upgrades got us exactly, but I’m glad we’re back!

So I don't know the whole history of it, but it was meant to be a mixture of different flags to represent the multi-cultural neighborhoods throughout the city including cuban, spanish, french, english, and italian.  Not sure on the shape, but I believe there was also a "T" with blue down the center for Tampa and the "Hillsborough River".  

It was basically, "let's try to cram everything into one" so that they represented all the main cultures/neighborhoods at the time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

So I don't know the whole history of it, but it was meant to be a mixture of different flags to represent the multi-cultural neighborhoods throughout the city including cuban, spanish, french, english, and italian.  Not sure on the shape, but I believe there was also a "T" with blue down the center for Tampa and the "Hillsborough River".  

It was basically, "let's try to cram everything into one" so that they represented all the main cultures/neighborhoods at the time. 

I like that. Thanks.

An interesting sign of how the world is changing: for the first time since it was created after the rest of Ireland separated from the UK, Catholics outnumber Protestants in Northern Ireland.

If you’re old enough to remember “The Troubles” and years of fighting between the two groups, the change is stunning. 

It’s just another part of the world where we assumed things would never change, but change they did. It’s something we need to remember here in the US.

Census 2021: More from Catholic background in NI than Protestant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394

From The BBC

A good bit of news: it was quite usual during The Troubles for folks to wonder why anyone would want to live in that godforsaken place, with everyone armed and barbed wire separating neighborhoods.

In the years since peace broke out (thanks to several American politicians in addition to the residents of NI and British leaders - from the US, there was a fellow involved you might know - Joe Biden), it’s great to see significant growth again.

• 2 weeks later...