Just Wow

spenser1058

It seems the burghers of Jamestown, MI, just a hoot and a holler down the road from DeVos World Headquarters in Ada, have decided they must defund or shutter the public library if it continues to include LGBTQ titles in their collection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/10/02/jamestown-patmos-library-defund-book-bans-lgbtq/

From The Washington Post 

Edited by spenser1058

28 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Bradley International Airport, Connecticut's largest airport, has been named the second best airport in America.

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2014-11-24/the-best-and-worst-airports-in-america-readers-choice-awards-2014

Woohoo! What better vacation spot could there be to visit but Hartford (especially if you need insurance?)!

An awesome feel good story and a reminder why public education is so important. It not only builds kids, it builds communities:

A broke marching band parades on Capitol Hill to practice. Magic ensues.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/10/08/eastern-marching-band-capitol-hill-dc/

From The Washington Post 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Jury reaches verdict of nearly $1 billion in compensatory damages against Alex Jones in Sandy Hook trial

Article: https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-verdict-alex-jones-sandy-hook-connecticut-defamation-trial-20221011-20221012-4kofka5dtvc4ddxsj5xofocy64-story.html

There is a just and fair God even if it’s questionable how much he’ll actually pay- he’s proving to be as slippery as Cheetohead at never doing the right thing.

Edited by spenser1058

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There is a just and fair God even if it’s questionable how much he’ll actually pay- he’s proving to be as slippery as Cheetohead at never doing the right thing.

He will pay a fraction. Hard to prove this judgement is compensatory and not punitive. 

16 hours ago, jack said:

He will pay a fraction. Hard to prove this judgement is compensatory and not punitive. 

If its not overthrown entirely on appeal. On top of that, the severe malpractice by his attorneys should put them on the hook for quite a bit of it as well. They should have went with a more reasonable number that would still wipe out all the money he made from his lies and FUD.

House January 6 committee votes to subpoena Trump during Thursday’s hearing

Supreme Court rejects former President Donald Trump’s request to intervene in Mar-a-Lago documents fight

Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/politics/supreme-court-trump-mar-a-lago/index.html

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, aent said:

If its not overthrown entirely on appeal. On top of that, the severe malpractice by his attorneys should put them on the hook for quite a bit of it as well. They should have went with a more reasonable number that would still wipe out all the money he made from his lies and FUD.

but what did his attorney's do that was considered malpractice?  I wasn't following this.  

on another note, before you make the statement "his lies", i.e., before we start jumping onto bandwagons, I caught an episode of Infowars during the 2015-16 era and he brought this up out of the blue and made a disclaimer, and he harped on it for a long time, saying he never claimed it was fake, rather, that there were things (that he showed on his show) that didn't add up or whatever and that people needed to be clear about it (people that were accusing him of saying it was fake), and that he wanted answers.     I don't know what happened after that (or before that) involving those parents because I don't watch Infowars.

Implications: if they have a right to sue Alex Jones, then a retailer has a right to sue the MSM for mischaracterizing any one of these arrests and untimely deaths of Black individuals that end up triggering BLM riots that devastated entire retail strips (or resulted in loss of life or harassment) in cities across the US.  There's similar causality, especially when in Ferguson there were Black witnesses corroborating the cop's testimony, and with the other effigy guy, there was proof that the choke hold used was used across the department the prior year on both Black and White arrestees.  Yet there were still BLM riots after both incidences with no proof of racist intent or targeting. 

Or how about this one:  Democrats claiming that the NRA and gun owners are "the real terrorists in this country"?  And as a result, a gun owners experience harassment  and discrimination by gun-phobes.  

Freedom of the press, right?  Isn't Jones the press too?  Or do only liberals get a pass for "owning" or "claiming ownership of" the moral victim card?

And what about public or government officials?  If a liberal congressman or woman makes statements like that (above) which trigger discrimination to gun owners, then how does one justify going after Trump for the Jan 6 thing? 

double standard going on?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I wasn't following this. 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I don't know what happened after that (or before that)

Perhaps just stick with what you stated- you don't have a lot of background or knowledge in this case- so why create irrelevant and useless analogies as some sort of comparison.  Are you assuming all the jurors, attorneys and judges didn't think this through?  Maybe acquaint yourself with a lot more fact and detail before you form an opinion.

11 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Perhaps just stick with what you stated- you don't have a lot of background or knowledge in this case- so why create irrelevant and useless analogies as some sort of comparison.  Are you assuming all the jurors, attorneys and judges didn't think this through?  Maybe acquaint yourself with a lot more fact and detail before you form an opinion.

Are you kidding me?  This country is almost entirely full of a population that forms opinions based on what a Liberal or Conservative talking head said, without doing any critical thinking or research into the matter.  And then they just run with it claiming to be experts on everything.  And when someone does an iota of critical thinking, those same Kool-Aid drinkers call her a conspiracy theorist.  Please…

And, you?  Referring to “his lies”? What do you know about the case or the event itself? Only what a liberal MSM has to say about it on both accounts?  

Knowledge regarding the case is one thing; knowledge of the underlying event is another issue dealing with whether he had even an iota of justification ‘doubting’ the legitimacy of the event, in that, whether or not it occurred the way they claimed (not whether or not it even occurred at all).

Devils advocate for a minute: the event occurs; an AR-15 is involved, and there is a ton of data out there on things involving this event that I won’t go into.    Obama predictably runs with it before there are even any funerals with his human shields at his press conference.  Shouldn’t the act speak for itself? Wow.  Even after Feinstein’s fervor to compliment Obama’s, I guess that wasn’t even enough to sell anyone on their Marxist pleas- both GOP and Democrats, mind you.

As for whether or not Jones had his reporters harassing individuals, I have no idea, and that may or may not be actionable since he is a member of the press.  Is he not?  Chris Hanson, anybody? Every other investigative reporter known to man, even at the local news level?  

As for inciting the public at large, I don’t know what their proof was.  And even if there was proof, like I said, it is a slippery slope where you can say the same or similar for so many members of the press on so many other stories.  But this is the event that nobody dare question b/c kids were involved and the enemy are derivatively and ultimately (according to the liberals) white gun owners at large, the 2nd Amendment, and the NRA.  Because if this had to do with a Black person from an inner city neighborhood with a dozen knives, you would never hear about it again, and that you can take to the bank.

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

but what did his attorney's do that was considered malpractice?  I wasn't following this.  

on another note, before you make the statement "his lies", i.e., before we start jumping onto bandwagons, I caught an episode of Infowars during the 2015-16 era and he brought this up out of the blue and made a disclaimer, and he harped on it for a long time, saying he never claimed it was fake, rather, that there were things (that he showed on his show) that didn't add up or whatever and that people needed to be clear about it (people that were accusing him of saying it was fake), and that he wanted answers.     I don't know what happened after that (or before that) involving those parents because I don't watch Infowars.

Implications: if they have a right to sue Alex Jones, then a retailer has a right to sue the MSM for mischaracterizing any one of these arrests and untimely deaths of Black individuals that end up triggering BLM riots that devastated entire retail strips (or resulted in loss of life or harassment) in cities across the US.  There's similar causality, especially when in Ferguson there were Black witnesses corroborating the cop's testimony, and with the other effigy guy, there was proof that the choke hold used was used across the department the prior year on both Black and White arrestees.  Yet there were still BLM riots after both incidences with no proof of racist intent or targeting. 

Or how about this one:  Democrats claiming that the NRA and gun owners are "the real terrorists in this country"?  And as a result, a gun owners experience harassment  and discrimination by gun-phobes.  

Freedom of the press, right?  Isn't Jones the press too?  Or do only liberals get a pass for "owning" or "claiming ownership of" the moral victim card?

And what about public or government officials?  If a liberal congressman or woman makes statements like that (above) which trigger discrimination to gun owners, then how does one justify going after Trump for the Jan 6 thing? 

double standard going on?

I never watched InfoWars either, but I did watch portions of the deposition and select hearings. It is my understanding that Alex Jones gave his attorneys all of his text messages and other documents, many of which sounded bad and implicated him. There was a decision made by him and his attorneys to hide these messages during discovery of the case, which is not only against the law for Alex Jones to do since its actual documents, but also against the law for his attorneys to do, and they both argued they didn't exist multiple times to the opposing counsel, under oath.

Then, his attorney accidentally sent his entire case file to the opposing counsel, including all the text messages they claimed didn't exist, and their entire strategy and other documents that would have actually been protected by attorney-client privilege. The opposing counsel let his counsel know about the mistake, and Alex Jones' attorney failed to motion for the documents to be destroyed by opposing counsel (which obviously has a whole host of issues, but its likely they could have been forced to delete, hopefully without looking at the attorney-client privilege documents.

I'm all for allowing free speech, but its apparent from his own testimony that he was purposely causing harm, in the real world, by lying, to seek profit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Are you kidding me?  This country is almost entirely full of a population that forms opinions based on what a Liberal or Conservative talking head said, without doing any critical thinking or research into the matter.  And then they just run with it claiming to be experts on everything.  And when someone does an iota of critical thinking, those same Kool-Aid drinkers call her a conspiracy theorist.  Please…

And, you?  Referring to “his lies”? What do you know about the case or the event itself? Only what a liberal MSM has to say about it on both accounts?  

Knowledge regarding the case is one thing; knowledge of the underlying event is another issue dealing with whether he had even an iota of justification ‘doubting’ the legitimacy of the event, in that, whether or not it occurred the way they claimed (not whether or not it even occurred at all).

Devils advocate for a minute: the event occurs; an AR-15 is involved, and there is a ton of data out there on things involving this event that I won’t go into.    Obama predictably runs with it before there are even any funerals with his human shields at his press conference.  Shouldn’t the act speak for itself? Wow.  Even after Feinstein’s fervor to compliment Obama’s, I guess that wasn’t even enough to sell anyone on their Marxist pleas- both GOP and Democrats, mind you.

As for whether or not Jones had his reporters harassing individuals, I have no idea, and that may or may not be actionable since he is a member of the press.  Is he not?  Chris Hanson, anybody? Every other investigative reporter known to man, even at the local news level?  

As for inciting the public at large, I don’t know what their proof was.  And even if there was proof, like I said, it is a slippery slope where you can say the same or similar for so many members of the press on so many other stories.  But this is the event that nobody dare question b/c kids were involved and the enemy are derivatively and ultimately (according to the liberals) white gun owners at large, the 2nd Amendment, and the NRA.  Because if this had to do with a Black person from an inner city neighborhood with a dozen knives, you would never hear about it again, and that you can take to the bank.

It is not comparable at all as aent previously wrote. And comparing the MSM is not comparable as well. The MSM can be sued but plaintiff's usually lose. Alex Jone knowingly spread false information. 

The MSM is mostly just lazy and partisan. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aent said:

I never watched InfoWars either, but I did watch portions of the deposition and select hearings. It is my understanding that Alex Jones gave his attorneys all of his text messages and other documents, many of which sounded bad and implicated him. There was a decision made by him and his attorneys to hide these messages during discovery of the case, which is not only against the law for Alex Jones to do since its actual documents, but also against the law for his attorneys to do, and they both argued they didn't exist multiple times to the opposing counsel, under oath.

Then, his attorney accidentally sent his entire case file to the opposing counsel, including all the text messages they claimed didn't exist, and their entire strategy and other documents that would have actually been protected by attorney-client privilege. The opposing counsel let his counsel know about the mistake, and Alex Jones' attorney failed to motion for the documents to be destroyed by opposing counsel (which obviously has a whole host of issues, but its likely they could have been forced to delete, hopefully without looking at the attorney-client privilege documents.

I'm all for allowing free speech, but its apparent from his own testimony that he was purposely causing harm, in the real world, by lying, to seek profit.

wow.  I didn't know any of that procedural discovery stuff. wow.