Just Wow

spenser1058

Knowing @jrs2is a big Popeye’s fan, this might be just the perfect Thanksgiving:

Popeyes’s pre-roasted turkey might be the Thanksgiving shortcut you need
https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/11/01/popeyes-cajun-roast-turkey-review/

From The Washington Post

laissez le bon temps rouler!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Knowing @jrs2is a big Popeye’s fan, this might be just the perfect Thanksgiving:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/11/01/popeyes-cajun-roast-turkey-review/

From The Washington Post

...if it's anything like that Classic Chicken Sandwich, then...that's my crack#2!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From The Washington Post

Damn that looks good. I weigh 260 pounds, so food excites me more than it probably should. lol

• Haha 1

Unless you’re a boomer or older, you may wonder why we old folks wax so rhapsodic about downtown department stores.

They were just a place to buy stuff, right? Nope - they were so much more, as we learn in this article from MPR about the grand downtown Minneapolis emporiums (a Simon & Garfunkel concert isn’t something you’d ever see at a Dillard’s in the mall).

A couple of fun facts: MTM was standing in front of Donaldson’s on Nicolette Square when she threw her beret in the air for her CBS series. Dayton’s, its big rival across the street, was the founder of Target. As it would happen, Target outlived the department store (although Target still has its hq downtown, complete with a good sized store). The Daytons were also good Democrats (Mark Dayton would go on to be governor of Minnesota). That’s one reason for the big cultural rivalry between Target and Walmart, where the Walton family is a huge supporter of the GOP.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/15/a-history-of-minnesotas-homegrown-department-stores

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Although not the same one, this is the type of store today’s SoDo would eventually replace along Orange Ave. There was a drive-in theater behind the store.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zayre#/media/File%3AZayre%2C_Addison%2C_IL_1.jpg

Are you talking about SoDo, ala, the store that was fronting Orange Ave and the drive in theatre behind it?

10 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Are you talking about SoDo, ala, the store that was fronting Orange Ave and the drive in theatre behind it?

Yes. The neon letters on top of the store were awesome. There was also one of these on FL436 in Casselberry. The other Zayre stores we got later were much blander.

Fun facts: “Zayre” was an anglicized spelling of a Yiddish word for “very good”.

Zayre was responsible for other chains such as Hit or Miss, TJ Maxx and BJ’s Wholesale Club.

Edited by spenser1058

56 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Yes. The neon letters on top of the store were awesome. There was also one of these on FL436 in Casselberry. The other Zayre stores we got later were much blander.

Fun facts: “Zayre” was an anglicized spelling of a Yiddish word for “very good”.

Zayre was responsible for other chains such as Hit or Miss, TJ Maxx and BJ’s Wholesale Club.

yeah, that was pretty cool. My fondest memories of Zayres was their video games and star wars figures circa end of the decade ('70's, of course...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I can still smell the popcorn! 

• Haha 1

This is really cool - the European Space Agency has selected a disabled Paralympian for astronaut training:

Who is John McFall?

“In a world first, a disabled British man has been selected for astronaut training by the European Space Agency.

John McFall will join the space training corps to work with designers and engineers to see if he can be the first disabled person to go into space.

John is a British Paralympic sprinter from Surrey who lost his leg in a motorbike accident when he was 19-years-old.

The European Space Agency (ESA)announced the Astronaut Training Class of 2022 in a news conference in Paris today.

John will join the training corps as a para-astronaut as part of a feasibility study to see what needs to be adapted and redesigned.

But it may be several years before he is able to go into space.. if at all. 

British astronaut Tim Peake trained with Esa in 2009 before finally going into space in 2016.”

From The BBC 

As the Vulcans would say, “Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination” - OK, NASA, you’re up next!

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Like, how?  I'm curious b/c I don't have Twitter.

In what way does it resemble InfoWars now? Have a look at these screen shots I took of what was (supposedly) trending on Twitter right before I deleted it. I have a hard time believing that nearly everything that is (supposedly) trending on Twitter are topics that look like they're from Breitbart and InfoWars.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 4.21.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 4.25.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 4.30.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 5.10.29 PM.png

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, orange87 said:

In what way does it resemble InfoWars now? Have a look at these screen shots I took of what was (supposedly) trending on Twitter right before I deleted it. I have a hard time believing that nearly everything that is (supposedly) trending on Twitter are topics that look like they're from Breitbart and InfoWars.

$44 billion seems a lot to pay for what is rapidly becoming a non-broadbased site. Elon seems to have found himself an expensive hobby. And, unlike Tesla and SpaceX, he won’t have the benefit of government largesse.

39 minutes ago, orange87 said:

so they show you what's trending and then you click on it?  like one of these threads?

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

$44 billion seems a lot to pay for what is rapidly becoming a non-broadbased site. Elon seems to have found himself an expensive hobby. And, unlike Tesla and SpaceX, he won’t have the benefit of government largesse.

I don't know why he bought twitter.  $44M is a lot of money to be burning a hole in someone's pocket...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so they show you what's trending and then you click on it?  like one of these threads?

Twitter shows what it claims are the most popular (trending) topics on it's website on the side of the page. While you're not required to click on it, it's very obnoxious to see such bias in your face. And people usually like to tweet about the topics in the trending section because there's a good chance you'll strike up a conversation with someone. The trending section on Twitter used to slightly lean liberal, but it at least attempted to seem unbiased. Now, nearly every single topic is far right, and it's not fun anymore. I've also noticed that far-right tweets kept being recommended to me on my feed even though nothing on my profile would suggest that I'd be interested in it. Elon Musk deliberately turned Twitter into InfoWars for his own amusement, to "own the libs." The difference when he took over is like night and day.

• Sad 1

It’s sad. Although it got so crazy I had to walk away from it, it was a treat to be followed by some of my favorite pundits and their staffs once they determined I wasn’t a flame-thrower. That was in Politics Twitter (maybe it was because of who I followed or maybe they just used another site but the discussions I had and tweets I saw were mostly from moderates and lefties).

Knights Twitter was also awesome with so many fans. I really learned a lot about the coaches, the fans and the AD’s staff I wouldn’t have known otherwise.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I don't know why he bought twitter.  $44M is a lot of money to be burning a hole in someone's pocket...

Btw, it’s $44B

”There are signs Twitter has already seen an increase in harmful content since Musk has taken over, putting the company’s apps at risk. In October, shortly after Musk became “chief Twit,” a wave of online trolls and bigots flooded the site with hate speech and racist epithets.

“The trolls organized on 4chan, then barreled into Twitter with anti-Black and Jewish epithets. Twitter suspended many of the accounts, according to the nonprofit Network Contagion Research Institute.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/23/apple-and-elon-musks-twitter-are-on-a-collision-course.html

From CNBC (the more conservative, pro-business of the Comcast internet channels).

Edited by spenser1058

‘In an interview with CNN+ about “Don’t Say Gay” and why he had tweeted his opinion before Disney (corporate) responded to the bill, (Bob)Iger said, “a lot of these issues are not necessarily political. It’s about right and wrong.” He went on to say that as CEO he faced that dilemma often — whether to go public on a big issue.’

Amen. That’s a big reason Bob Iger is regarded as one of the most successful CEO’s of the 21st century.

- via All Ears.net

Edited by spenser1058

On 11/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

Uh-oh… @HankStrongis not going to be happy!

No. 3 Michigan pulls away from No. 2 Ohio State for a 45-23 win — the Wolverines’ 1st in Columbus in 22 years

From The Sentinel 

And South Carolina beat Clemson! Do we think Dabo is going to spend more time with Urban Meyers family now? :tw_joy:

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

Uh-oh… @HankStrongis not going to be happy!

No. 3 Michigan pulls away from No. 2 Ohio State for a 45-23 win — the Wolverines’ 1st in Columbus in 22 years

From The Sentinel 

I missed a lot of college football this weekend.

I was stunned to see that Michigan made it two in a row.  Harbaugh.  Wow.  It took him a few years but it looks like he has got the program playing the way he wants.  He'll be in The CFP two years in a row now.  Michigan may be better than last year.  We'll see.  But having the CFP already under your belt from the prior year and the blowout loss to UGA can be huge motivation this year.  But Ryan Day's program...still impressive...but may be relegated to falling into the ranks of an also-ran (at 10-11 wins (I'll take that any day of the week over 6-6)).

LSU.  They had a shot and lost to A&M.  Still, the SEC is on the line in the SECCG.

Can Bama still get in?  Don't think so...

• Like 1