Just Wow

spenser1058

Get down and get funky! Downtown St Pete’s getting a totally retro disco, authentic right down to the shag carpet:

httpw://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/entertainment/2022/12/16/after-delays-good-night-john-boy-will-soon-bring-disco-st-petersburg/

From The Tampa Bay Times

Interestingly, its name is “Goodnight John Boy” and I’ll take a moment now to relive my teenage crush on Richard Thomas…

The joy of urban life and living in a free and open society:

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/news/beethoven-9-flashmob/

Beethoven’s “Ode To Joy”, the last movement of his 9th Symphony, is the official anthem of the European Union.

Edited by spenser1058

While red states worry that free school lunch will "make kids spoiled," Connecticut is considering making school lunch free forever. If you go to Connecticut public schools you (may soon) get free school lunches every year and when you graduate from a CT High School, you will get two free years of public community college. It's nice that some state prioritize the children of this country and their education.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, orange87 said:

While red states worry that free school lunch will "make kids spoiled," Connecticut is considering making school lunch free forever. If you go to Connecticut public schools you (may soon) get free school lunches every year and when you graduate from a CT High School, you will get two free years of public community college. It's nice that some state prioritize the children of this country and their education.

We sadly can’t do that in the South because the MAGA crowd is scared to death “those” people might get sumthin’. It’s been a big part of Jim Crow forever and ain’t much has changed. 

Of course, the GQP ignores study after study that conclusively shows well-fed children are much more likely to be successful in life and much less likely to be incarcerated (which is a heckuva lot more costly to taxpayers than providing school lunches).

Community colleges are uniquely American and provide huge bang for the buck. Best of all, while A.A. degrees are available, reducing the cost of a four-year degree, those students who could care less about Shakespeare can also opt into vocational programs that teach them a trade and put them to work quickly. A kid with skills is much less likely to get into trouble and instead pays taxes rather than being a drag on the community.

But, as we know, logic to Republicans is “a little tweeting bird” (yep, that’s a Trek reference) that they have no use for.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Of course, the cost of those "free" lunches gets tacked on to the property taxes of every property owner in the state.

If they don't mind, then have at it, I say.

As someone who's never had kids in public schools, I don't think I'd appreciate being forced to foot the bill for feeding other people's kids.

Especially given how much of those free lunches just end up in the garbage can.

Besides, even low income families can afford for mom to pack a peanut butter sandwich, an apple and some cookies in a lunch box. 

Give em a little carton of milk or juice at cost.  Problem solved.

But of course that would never be considered good enough in this day and age.

Today's precious little gems need scientifically formulated, nutritionally balanced, visually appealing food that makes them feel good about themselves.

Which they take a few bites of then throw the rest away.   <_< 

https://www.k12dive.com/news/report-nations-school-food-waste-may-be-as-much-as-530k-tons-annually/568599/#:~:text=A new World Wildlife Fund,46-school sample across nine

https://www.psu.edu/news/research/story/us-school-cafeterias-waste-more-food-those-other-developed-countries/

https://ensia.com/features/school-food-waste-solutions/

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Of course, the cost of those "free" lunches gets tacked on to the property taxes of every property owner in the state.

As someone who's never had kids in public schools, I don't think I'd appreciate being forced to foot the bill for feeding other people's kids.

Besides, even low income families can afford for mom to pack a peanut butter sandwich, an apple and some cookies in a lunch box. 

Today's precious little gems need scientifically formulated, nutritionally balanced, visually appealing food that makes them feel good about themselves.

https://www.k12dive.com/news/report-nations-school-food-waste-may-be-as-much-as-530k-tons-annually/568599/#:~:text=A new World Wildlife Fund,46-school sample across nine

You probably don’t like footing the cost of paying for them to go to school either, but just as people paid for you to go to school, we pay it forward. That’s called civilization, and public education exists to support our democracy. 

People living in their cars (and yes, way too many theme park workers do just that, or worse) have a hard time preparing lunches. It’s easy to pretend we’re all living Leave It To Beaver lives but it wasn’t true then and it’s even less true now.

And kids aren’t any pickier about school lunches now than they were when I went to school. The ones who are hungry aren’t the ones doing that stuff.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You probably don’t like footing the cost of paying for them to go to school either, but just as people paid for you to go to school, we pay it forward. That’s called civilization, and public education exists to support our democracy. 

People living in their cars (and yes, way too many theme park workers do just that, or worse) have a hard time preparing lunches. It’s easy to pretend we’re all living Leave It To Beaver lives but it wasn’t true then and it’s even less true now.

And kids aren’t any pickier about school lunches now than they were when I went to school. The ones who are hungry aren’t the ones doing that stuff.

Your assumptions about me and my attitude towards my property tax paying for public schools is as wrong as most of your other inaccurate assumptions about many other things regarding politics and social issues, etc.

I understand the need for a publicly supported, public school system and have no problem paying my share.

The rest of it, you are way off base about.

If a family is living in their car (something that is not as commonplace as you insinuated) there are services available to them get them into living quarters and federally funded food programs to get them free food for their kids to bring to school.

But if that doesn't suffice, I am not at all against a free school lunch program for truly needy kids, which already exists anyway 

But free lunches for Caitlin and Connor who live in Bay Hill or Alaqua Estates to pick at then toss in trash like an unworthy Christmas present, is unnecessary.

And yes, kids today are pickier about their school lunches.

Having worked in the local public school system for several years, I have, unlike you, seen it with my own eyes.  

See the links I posted above.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

https://www.psu.edu/news/research/story/us-school-cafeterias-waste-more-food-those-other-developed-countries/

https://ensia.com/features/school-food-waste-solutions/

For someone who (I believe) said he is a liberal, I wonder, are you actually liberal on any issue(s)? I'm starting to think you may be a LINO.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, orange87 said:

For someone who (I believe) said he is a liberal, I wonder, are you actually liberal on any issue(s)? I'm starting to think you may be a LINO.

I'm pretty sure I have said that I'm a centrist Democrat. 

What I am NOT is a "progressive" (a misnomer, I think - should be extremist) leftist.  

And I think that requiring families that can afford to pay for their kids' school lunches to do so, is a reasonable position. 

Especially given the kind of more costly restaurant style food they are served today.

b-G9j-YWw6-Ly8v-ZGl2-ZWlt-YWdl-Lz-Qw-Mj- 

I bet about half that lunch ^^^ would end up in the trash can.  

40 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm pretty sure I have said that I'm a centrist Democrat. 

What I am NOT is a "progressive" (a misnomer, I think - should be extremist) leftist.  

And I think that requiring families that can afford to pay for their kids' school lunches to do so, is a reasonable position. 

Especially given the kind of more costly restaurant style food they are served today.

b-G9j-YWw6-Ly8v-ZGl2-ZWlt-YWdl-Lz-Qw-Mj- 

I bet about half that lunch ^^^ would end up in the trash can.  

So in other words, you're basically Jeb Bush...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, orange87 said:

So in other words, you're basically Jeb Bush...

If that's what you want to call me because you're peaved that I don't agree with you on this topic, fine. 

But I'm nowhere close to being Jeb!. 

I prefer to think of myself as more along the lines of a Bill Clinton. 

A common sense Democrat.

Can I say that you're basically AOC?  Kamala Harris? Bernie Sanders? Karl Marx?  

I posted an article about a new oceanfront hotel proposed for Ormond Beach whose developer is touting all the construction features to mitigate the climate change issues they’re running into along the Volusia coast.

Given Ormond’s one of the most Republican places in the country, I had to chuckle about that. We now know the GOP lied in its denials of the issue (remember how they excoriated Al Gore and how Rick Scott forbade state employees from even mentioning it?). Now, the chickens have come home to roost right near at home and their denials are making efforts to work on the problem even harder because of the delays they insisted on.

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I posted an article about a new oceanfront hotel proposed for Ormond Beach whose developer is touting all the construction features to mitigate the climate change issues they’re running into along the Volusia coast.

Given Ormond’s one of the most Republican places in the country, I had to chuckle about that. We now know the GOP lied in its denials of the issue (remember how they excoriated Al Gore and how Rick Scott forbade state employees from even mentioning it?). Now, the chickens have come home to roost right near at home and their denials are making efforts to work on the problem even harder because of the delays they insisted on.

More republicans than not believe in climate change. The biggest difference is what to do about it. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

More republicans than not believe in climate change. The biggest difference is what to do about it. 

Most Republican voters support marijuana legalization. Most Republican voters believe in climate change. Most Republicans voters support raising the minimum wage. I could go on. The National RNC is out of step with even it's own voters.

• Like 2