Buncombe St. Mixed Use Project

vicupstate

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks pretty nicely planned out, and actually looks good after so much of the bland architecture we're used to seeing lately.  I like the use of the townhomes to transition to the existing neighborhood, and preserving some existing trees to create some green space instead of paving everything over.

This should be a great addition to Hampton Pinckney and Heritage Green.

Heritage Green is such a fantastic public space, but it's way under utilized due in part to its isolation. Having more residential immediately surrounding it should help, and simply having more pedestrians in that area should help slow traffic on those busy one way streets. Win for Greenville! 

23 hours ago, Gville2012 said:

Wow - I was assuming this was going to be the BB&T building but this is totally new. Beach Company is really moving in Greenville!

Yeah I was confused by the original post on this and was expecting a makeover of the building itself. I guess this is the parking lot directly across? I like this better than all the modern stuff going up but would like to have seen a little more density for this site with maybe a 6-7 story building. And also has one of my pet peeves; a flat roof. That's a long building to have nothing up top to break up the monotony. 

This will help extend development though, and I wonder what will become of the clone properties. There's lots of room down that way all the way to where McBees Diner used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Spero said:

Is there a resident Catholic here that knows what is going on with the Diocese-owned vacant parcel on Butler and Washington?

Not a Catholic, but that property is being held for a new sanctuary. The word on the street is that the priest is hoping/waiting for the Diocese to split, creating a southern SC diocese and a northern SC Diocese. This would allow them to build a cathedral (there can be only one per diocese) there instead of just a regular parish (Not that I know what the difference is, but I would imagine the cathedral would be bigger).

4 hours ago, GMoxley said:

Not a Catholic, but that property is being held for a new sanctuary. The word on the street is that the priest is hoping/waiting for the Diocese to split, creating a southern SC diocese and a northern SC Diocese. This would allow them to build a cathedral (there can be only one per diocese) there instead of just a regular parish (Not that I know what the difference is, but I would imagine the cathedral would be bigger).

A cathedral is the place where the cathedra (bishop's throne) is. No requirements as to size--there are quite small cathedrals in existence. Some Protestants/Independents use the word "cathedral" in their church names (with the apparent meaning "really big"), but the word "cathedral" etymologically evokes an institution (hierarchy of bishops) that they reject.

But you're probably right in this case: if Greenville is to become the seat of a new diocese--and there are more and more Catholics down South every day, so parish growth is probably part of the equation--then maybe they're thinking they need a bigger building. Just please not one of those geometric monstrosities that Catholics are too often apt to build (I say that as a Catholic).

• 2 weeks later...

BB&T building plans to be submitted with 30 days

The Beach Company is responsible for two high-profile, mixed-use apartment projects in recent years - SouthRidge on Church Street and Main + Stone on North Main Street and East Stone Avenue.

The projects have been built in a contemporary design popular across the U.S., but the redevelopment of the BB&T building won't resemble that. Instead, Doyle said, architects will be taking a fresh take on the 1970s-era style.

And because the apartments will be developed in a way that doesn't offer as many amenities, they will be more "approachable" in terms of affordability, he said. The price range hasn't been completely nailed down but could range anywhere between $150 to $400 less than other luxury apartments downtown, Doyle said.

The office building appearance will require the approval of the city's Design Review Board.

Archived