UNCC Students & Center City

The blue line opens in March & 30,000 students are going to free light rail acces from the dorms straight to uptown.

i don’t think #11 North Tryon gets many students who want to go to Center city for the fun of it & lots of students may not have an affordable way uptown or those who drive may be off put by it being further away, drinking & driving, parking uptown, etc 

i think many students will hop on light rail just to walk around because they are bored. 

Anyone have any predictions how this could effect uptown or Center city businesses? Negligible impact?  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

free light rail access

Are you sure about this part? I just thought it was connected to their student ID's - i.e. they do not have to buy a separate pass...

I completely agree with your assessment (whether free or not), BTW.

Another reason I was ticked with the 9 month delay - there is a LOT of business opportunity lost here. Many of these kids have a credit/debit from mom and dad... if you know what I mean.

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Are you sure about this part? I just thought it was connected to their student ID's - i.e. they do not have to buy a separate pass...

Available soon: The Miscellaneous Transportation Service Charge entitles students to ride on Charlotte Area Transit Syatem (CATS) LYNX light rail and buses* without having to pay a fare. An RFID chip in the 49er ID Card has an embedded app for CATS systems. All Access Pass privileges activate when light rail expansion to campus opens.”

from PATS

So, they still pay for it, just one time per semester, and subsidized, most likely.

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Miscellaneous Transportation Service Charge

From here: https://lightrail.uncc.edu/ ( a very good deal for faculty and staff!!!)

The pass is all-access: When light rail service to campus opens, all students can ride CATS LYNX light rail, trolley, Special Transportation Service (STS), local and express bus routes, including the Airport Connector, fare-free. An addition of $50 a year to the Miscellaneous Transportation Service Charge covers the cost of unlimited, all-access riding privileges for students. Faculty and staff may purchase the same privileges for $75 a year.

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

So, they still pay for it, just one time per semester, and subsidized, most likely.

You guys on UP are being way to technical the past couple weeks.

If we want to be technical, yes. It’s not “free”. But it’s part of tuition whether you use it or not. Which is pretty much “free” as far as college students are concerned.

I pay for the bus service on campus I have never used. But I wouldn’t think twice about whether I want to spend money on taking that bus if I needed to because I was saving money. It’s part of tuition. Not something I budget out week by week....

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Available soon: The Miscellaneous Transportation Service Charge entitles students to ride on Charlotte Area Transit Syatem (CATS) LYNX light rail and buses* without having to pay a fare. An RFID chip in the 49er ID Card has an embedded app for CATS systems. All Access Pass privileges activate when light rail expansion to campus opens.”

from PATS

This is excellent, though makes me a little bitter that when I commuted from living in Sedgefield to UNC Charlotte's main campus, I took the Blue Line and transferred to Route 11.

I would buy a $1 "Student" ticket, because duh. Then I got a $35 ticket for "abusing" what was actually the "K-12" student ticket. I just assumed they were doing UNCC students a solid from the start, but I assumed wrong.

EDIT: I think I've told this anecdote before, but I still kick myself for it.

• 1 year later...

Apologies if this isn't in the most appropriate thread.

How does everyone on this site feel about the potential name change that has been put on the ballot by the SGA? Personally I am a fan, and many other students in certain organizations do as well. I even hear whispers of the student media doing something related to it. 

University of Charlotte  ?

I mentioned this some time ago but this is specific to the discussion. I grew up in Indianapolis and there was a branch of IU and Purdue in town. There was a discussion of combining the two and making a unified school and campus and renaming. While this debate continued a small private local school called Indiana Central College renamed itself University of Indianapolis, usurping the option. The state school in Indianapolis is now IUPU-I. Try to pronounce that. Point being:  first mover takes all.

University of Charlotte all day. Students have a powerful voice - make this happen. It's honestly more than a vote imo, it's a business decision. There is a reason the athletic department refers to sports as just the Charlotte 49ers.

I've seen all of the following on either national news, national sports outlets (ESPN), and others refer to the school as:

UNC-C. UNC-Charlotte. NC-Charlotte. UNC. And more. 

If you didnt know, everything above is wrong. Some people think Charlotte is a satellite campus of UNC (Chapel Hill). Some think 'CC' stands for community college, ie CPCC. You don't see UNC Greenville (ECU), UNC Boone (App), or UNC Raleigh (NC State) hurting marketing wise. It's about differentiating yourself from the others and creating a brand (identity). 

There is a lot of name confusion that happens across the country with this school and sadly even in this city. I'm all for the change, branding is powerful. 

I was at 3rd Street Station waiting on the light rail after All-Star Saturday, and a man walked up to me and asked which side he should be on to go to UNC. A lot of visitors refer to UNCC this way and I always assume they think it is a branch of Chapel Hill. UNCC students deserve an identity they can be proud of, so I am all for The University of Charlotte.  Makes so much sense from a marketing and brand perspective.

19 minutes ago, cjolley92 said:

I was at 3rd Street Station waiting on the light rail after All-Star Saturday, and a man walked up to me and asked which side he should be on to go to UNC. A lot of visitors refer to UNCC this way and I always assume they think it is a branch of Chapel Hill. UNCC students deserve an identity they can be proud of, so I am all for The University of Charlotte.  Makes so much sense from a marketing and brand perspective.

I like your profile picture. :D ALL IN!!!!

Archived