Most Interesting Buildings/Architecture

CaliTransplant

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the reasons many cities don't build stuff like this is because it looks really bad in ten years. i lived in the netherlands for a few months and never met any traveler who would prefer rotterdam to amsterdam. rotterdam is very isolating to the individual, while Amsterdam is very warm and human scale. big, weird architecture looks ok for a few years and gives the city a cutting-edge look. when that is no longer cutting-edge anymore it is just plain ugly.

I truly disagree.

What may seem as "ugly" at one time, usually appears great later in history. In Norway we have had several occasions with old housing being demolished because it was concidered ugly and poor - NOW we know how beautiful these sort of architecture is. I ADD that Bergen (2nd largest city in norway) has a big part of its harbour-area on the world heritage list.

I LOVED the that red building in Rotterdam, and the cool rectangular one in back. However, inbetween there's - it looks like industrial areas, and some sort of white building underneath the rectangular one... it just doesn't make sense with how it is placed. Very untidy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived