kermit

Unified Development Ordinance

Recommended Posts


^ this!

It seems backassward to me to make the UDO suit the needs to underwriters. It really should be the other way around. I think Southend shows that there is huge demand for urban (semi) density. If some financiers want to not participate in that it’s  fine, others will.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kermit said:

There were no cars then...

I think most zoning in NC came about in the 1950s.  I just tried to find the exact date, and couldn't find it.  There was a fair amount of traditional development constructed in the 1920s 1930s and 1940s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read the Charlotte Magazine article about it and is very interesting and controversial.  My feelings are mixed on it but One thing I do wish is for the 'Dillion Rule' in NC to be relaxed.  Seems like the General Assembly has a total strangle hold on NC Municipalities.  I envy the looser system that MN has so if major City/Counties want to do things for their locality they are free to do so, with the people's vote.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

What is the next input event in the UDO process? Any council discussions planned on the horizon, too?

They are going to keep working on some details of the UDO behind the scenes, but the main public input will be on the Strategic Vision Plan for the next 16mo or so, and then cycle back to the UDO with the input from the Vision Plan.

If you sign up here they're good about sending public input opportunities: https://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/2040Plan/Pages/default.aspx

You can also email the planning director, directly (he has offered up his contact info at many opportunities, and joked that he's the only one in the city with just his first name as his email address) [email protected]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Charlotte Magazine piece on the Minneapolis decision to eliminate single family zoning and parking minimums and some discussion of how the UDO might nudge us in that direction (but don't expect radical changes)

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/DiscussCLT/December-2018/With-One-Bold-Step-a-City-Not-Charlotte-Goes-Big-on-Affordable-Housing/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new TOD UDO is getting close to completion. As a transitional step toward a complete UDO, the TOD zoning is being tackled first, as it is considered the highest priority. 

The latest presentations can be viewed at https://charlotteudo.org/transit-oriented-development/presentations-prior-drafts/

My understanding is that public comment closes on January 24. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The new TOD UDO is getting close to completion. As a transitional step toward a complete UDO, the TOD zoning is being tackled first, as it is considered the highest priority. 

The latest presentations can be viewed at https://charlotteudo.org/transit-oriented-development/presentations-prior-drafts/

My understanding is that public comment closes on January 24. 

Do we think any of these could ever be applied to bus transit routes in appropriate spots? I am thinking Central Ave in PM, Belmont Ave, and FreeMoreWest in general.
I imagine that would be entirely up to the case the developer makes versus the community push-back?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Do we think any of these could ever be applied to bus transit routes in appropriate spots? I am thinking Central Ave in PM, Belmont Ave, and FreeMoreWest in general.
I imagine that would be entirely up to the case the developer makes versus the community push-back?

Anything zoned TOD now will be automatically transferred to the new TOD zoning. The current plan is that non-TOD properties along the entire blue line and gold line will be blanket rezoned to the new TOD, too. It was unclear how bullish they could get rezoning rail future corridors. 

Based on the intent of the different TOD densities, I think the densest TODs would only be appropriate along rail lines. The less dense TODs, though, I could easily see being applied to high use bus areas, or clustered around major stops. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Do we think any of these could ever be applied to bus transit routes in appropriate spots? I am thinking Central Ave in PM, Belmont Ave, and FreeMoreWest in general.
I imagine that would be entirely up to the case the developer makes versus the community push-back?

Those areas have PED Overlays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that after working with the city and applauding the process, the developers want to change the height restrictions in TOD districts and bypass the planners and go straight to the council (something the UDO is actively trying to avoid happening in the first place)... Two letters, one from Crescent and one from the REIBC.

 

 

Rebic_TOD.thumb.jpg.6c96c37a5e4b30475668b398c4a61a8a.jpg678696258_CrescentTOD.thumb.jpg.77483342b132c2f1a7da856a53a56c6c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CLT> said:

Interesting that after working with the city and applauding the process, the developers want to change the height restrictions in TOD districts and bypass the planners and go straight to the council (something the UDO is actively trying to avoid happening in the first place)... Two letters, one from Crescent and one from the REIBC.

Yes - I find that frustrating, too. The whole point is to get the council out of the rezoning business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Yes - I find that frustrating, too. The whole point is to get the council out of the rezoning business. 

Mitchell Silver, who was Raleigh Planning Director, and is now NYC Parks Commissioner was the Keynote Speaker at the UDO kickoff last year and he said you really face one decision moving forward:

"Do you want to be a plan making city, or a deal making city?"

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.