Unified Development Ordinance

kermit

1 hour ago, a2theb said:

Thinking about this quickly, nothing is really changing for anyone . The city has welcomed du/triplexes in Biddleville/Seversville/Elizabeth/3rd Ward/NoDa/Villa Heights while Dilworth, Wilmore, Wesley Heights, Plaza remain somewhat untouchable outside of the multifamily already built due to the HDC designation. 

Obviously just really in town neighborhoods above. Will be interesting to see what could happen somewhere like Madison Park, Starmount, Montclaire. 

Funny enough you specified those neighborhoods.  On Manhasset in Collingwood there is a lot that had a SFH which was demoed and supposedly coming back as a duplex (according to Nextdoor sources :) ) which to your point was previously allowed in certain situations.  So the UDO isn't changing too much

image.png.22467acefd343eb146126462c57d7611.png

13 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I'd love to learn more about this.  The Observer hasn't mentioned this, as far as I know, but I might well have missed it.  If the areas with deed restrictions banning duplexes/triplexes in single family zones is extensive, it could be a game-changer.  Someone should publish a map showing the areas where duplexes and triplexes are prohibited by deed restrictions.

I'm in Weddington, Union County, just across the line from Mecklenburg.  Here, single family means single family, and mostly 40,000 sf lot minimums.  I expect a migration from Charlotte.

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Thinking about this quickly, nothing is really changing for anyone . The city has welcomed du/triplexes in Biddleville/Seversville/Elizabeth/3rd Ward/NoDa/Villa Heights while Dilworth, Wilmore, Wesley Heights, Plaza remain somewhat untouchable outside of the multifamily already built due to the HDC designation. 

Obviously just really in town neighborhoods above. Will be interesting to see what could happen somewhere like Madison Park, Starmount, Montclaire. 

New duplexes were built in Dilworth in the last year. 3 sets actually. They started over a million. This was on Brookside and Lennox. A quad plex was built on Atherton recently too. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes increased supply is a good thing in the overall housing market.  ADUs are great and always supported that aspect of this plan.  I just think without  any restrictions you will see lots of tear downs in the mostly intown older neighborhoods for new triplexes and so forth and speeding up gentrification in neighborhoods that have more affordable housing.  But most parts of newer Charlotte in the suburbs will be unaffected as they have deed restrictions in place especially in the mixed use communities like Berewick, Ballantyne which have certain areas already of multifamily or attached housing.  It is the older communities and neighborhoods that don't have them. 

As someone who lives and owns in an older in-town neighborhood - Wesley Heights - I am excited for the an acceleration in the intensification of land uses.  It's the only way we make the neighborhood increasingly viable for proximal, WALKING-ACCESSIBLE commercial offerings like retail.  Yes, we could keep things restrictive, and by doing so, perhaps slow down land value appreciation, but I don't want that.  Personally, I'm tired of the old commercial and rental properties keeping their lots looking dumpy and depressing, and then as soon as fresh ideas come along to clean things up and modernize them, everyone complains about gentrification.  I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, but I want new waves of development in my area that bring in new blood and drive out the existing moribund elements.

I hope the Plan's liberalization of property uses acts as its own type of stimulus package for this part of center city.  A spark for redevelopment.  If large tracts of center city only grow as single family homes on big yards, we'll never see the density and pedestrian-accessible mixed uses that enliven the streetscape and create the sense of urban vitality that one expects from a thriving center city.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Most of newer neighborhoods in Charlotte have covenants and restrictions so no change there at all. 

Unpopular opinions: The CCRs imposed in newer developments to "preserve property values" are mostly like the old redlining. Also, for most "gated communities" the security is theater and cursory at best - designed to keep out the honest or those that "don't look like they belong here."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Not sure if this is true for the other districts, but The Historic district in Plaza Midwood is pretty small compared to their overall neighborhood ... only about 1/5 id say is designated historic.... so I'm not sure I'd say it is untouchable.  Further, I think there was recently a new duplex built to historic district standards in the PM historic district on a former SFH lot. 

1510 Kensington Dr

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, davidclt said:

Unpopular opinions: The CCRs imposed in newer developments to "preserve property values" are mostly like the old redlining. Also, for most "gated communities" the security is theater and cursory at best - designed to keep out the honest or those that "don't look like they belong here."

Locks are for honest people. Dishonest people ignore them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davidclt said:

I lived in a gated neighborhood one. I think the best thing it did was keep people from speeding around. I felt better about kids playing on the streets etc. 

Just now, tarhoosier said:

Locks are for honest people. Dishonest people ignore them.

Depends on the lock or the gate. Nowadays, a good amount of property crime is crime of opportunity. Good locks and security deterrents make a lot of people look for an easier target.  

55 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

New duplexes were built in Dilworth in the last year. 3 sets actually. They started over a million. This was on Brookside and Lennox. A quad plex was built on Atherton recently too. 

52 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Not sure if this is true for the other districts, but The Historic district in Plaza Midwood is pretty small compared to their overall neighborhood ... only about 1/5 id say is designated historic.... so I'm not sure I'd say it is untouchable.  Further, I think there was recently a new duplex built to historic district standards in the PM historic district on a former SFH lot. 

1510 Kensington Dr

Sorry should have been more clear here. Teardowns of SFH just to build MF (a la 3rd ward) and not because there is an empty lot or a current condemned home in the HDC districts.  Again I think those above are great examples of the UDO changing nothing really.  There has been plenty of infill in these neighborhoods with little pushback from the city or from the neighbors.

Edit: I still think the only there may be some effect in neighborhoods older than 1970 (without protective covenants) and that havent had any type of infill yet i.e. Starmount but for everyone else little is changing.

Edited by a2theb

The alternative to missing middle is larger and larger McMansions. I'll take it.

I was in the room and the comp plan passing didn't do much for me. Land values are so high in Belmont / Noda / Elizabeth that it's really time to allow six-plexes to be built and it's not politically feasible. Endless class and generational warfare by those who already managed to get their foot in the housing ladder.

The fact that is driving everyone crazy and not talked about is the easy money policies by the federal reserve. Everyone panicking over housing and accessing cheap money to borrow and stuffing it into any building they can find. Land values and property values skyrocketing at dizzying speeds. All building up risks for a large correction... though I'm not really in the bubble camp anymore. The economy is so unhealthy...

If you really REALLY want to build more affordable housing, parking minimums need to thrown out the window full stop. Then I can build a six-plex on a small lot. If were lucky I can build a small apartment at two bedrooms for sale at 250,000$. I don't entirely know the cost per square foot now, I used to run it on 140$ sq ft. minimum but after all the lumber inflation, oye.

With parking minimums, open space requirements, rear set-backs, tree-save and all the other garbage anti-housing regulations, it's impossible to build affordable missing middle.

I've been in land development for five years, I know how the city runs. It's a racket. Make housing so restricted, force the majority of projects to go through rezoning. Take as many concession as possible from land developers, jacking up costs. Demand affordable units while affording no subsidies, then turn around to their constituents and claim they care about the housing crisis. The remaining developers that can operate in this environment are the most aggressive and border-line sociopathic.

Small infill projects are obliterated before they get to the drawing board. It's not the fact that the planning staff say 'no', it's the expectation. An expectation they have enforced for decades...

So it's rigged against the middle class and working class. The best alternative is if the city starts funding co-op housing projects with shared amenities. Do everything possible to cut-out middle men.

I'm at hair-trigger now. Just waiting for the UDO to go under... give me an excuse to run for mayor.

^ Politics aside, the McCrory tweet is getting a ton of national attention in urbanist social media, giving Charlotte an unexpected shot of credibility amongst the folks who follow such news. 

Even before the McCrory tweet, there were quite a few "even Charlotte banned exclusionary zoning!”  [sic] messages floating through twitter yesterday.

[Charlotte has not yet removed any exclusionary zoning]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Random comment.

Does anyone think there isn't some level of redlining to this date? Sure it's reduced and hidden but it's there. After all realtors and developers are not somehow immune to racism.

I don't think so around here.  Not saying it was not done 30-40 years ago but now I see no evidence of it now.  If your client of any race has the money to buy and can win a bid on a resale home they will get it.   New home builders same way.  They just want people to close on their homes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Middle aged, middle class white guy speaking here, so keep my perspective in mind…

I have been lightly involved with Intown Charlotte real estate since 2000. In that time I saw no evidence (from my perspective) of any sort of race-based redlining or steering in several  dozen deals (leases and sales) during that time. Having said that, most of these transactions were in neighborhoods with either high prices (Dilworth and Sedgefield) or very low prices (Thomasboro). So pricing was heavily responsible for the economic class of folks on the other side of the deal. In the past, the listing location (mls, classifieds, Craigslist) has been a tool for racial steering, but the internet has changed that to some extent.

Most housing policy research points to pricing as the defacto modern steering device. This is why Charlotte (and so many other cities) are pushing to eliminate SFH exclusive zoning.

What about financing? I don't recall a good source but am sure I've read articles about lenders being biased. Perhaps unconscious in many cases but it's there in the numbers. I'm sure my buddy Ted Cruz would love to read this.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, davidclt said:

Obama's Martha's Vineyard community is gated. Maybe you haven't been to 3rd world countries where people there do not have the privilege of having the police show up to every call, I have. My friend's house in Guadalajara is gated and has bars on the window. Their security has thwarted 2 burglaries. Asheville has already stopped responding to certain crimes. Violent crime is surging in Charlotte. Can you really fault someone for trying to to protect their livelihood and children?! You are free leave your doors unlocked and windows open, but don't force others to compromise their safety. 

Edited by urbanlover568
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1