Unified Development Ordinance

kermit

For example, in the Transit Urban Center district, the category that allows for the tallest buildings, developers have the right to build up to 130 feet. That translates to around 10 stories. But they can build up to 300 feet under the bonus height system, unless the building is within a quarter of a mile walking distance to a rapid transit station, in which case the height is unlimited.

Unlimited height within 1/4 mile of stations????  Is this new?  Could we get our first 1000 footer up in University then??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:30 AM, navigator319 said:

Unlimited height within 1/4 mile of stations????  Is this new?  Could we get our first 1000 footer up in University then??

Such tower would need to be almost two miles from any residential.  There is a height plane for TOD of an additional foot for every ten feet from residential.  Thanks to Dilworth's reaction to the Arlington, call this Charlotte's "pink tower" rule.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

What is that?

I look forward to someone's TL/DR of highlights. https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.sog.unc.edu/files/reports/20190500_PZLB28_v8.pdf

One notable item I caught: the "Map Act" is repealed. This was the thing where NCDOT had "protected corridors" that essentially permitted the use of eminent domain for things like widening highways.

In general, it seems to standardize certain development rules across the state, eliminating some exceptions. Reading between the lines, it is probably reducing the power of some planning & inspection boards that may have been more stringent than most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ my understanding of the problems with the Map act was that it allowed NCDOT to designate corridors that it ‘might’ use. From a market perspective this was a ‘taking’ but NCDOT didn’t compensate landowners until the corridor began construction.  

Eminent domain is still possible, but reserving the corridor in advance is not. I am sympathetic to both sides of this issue.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, Nathan2 said:

Does anyone know if TOD will also be applied to the silver line corridor and when they are planning to do that?  I would hope sooner than later even if the silver line is a decade out.

There’s been preliminary talk of preserving the SilverLine Corridor and the preservation efforts will only accelerate now that the $50 Million Design Work has been awarded to get more specific data.  TOD absolutely will be applied to the whole corridor - probably in blanket fashion once this is under construction in the late 2020’s.  Definitely hoping a funding bond referendum is floated during a Presidential Election cycle - better turnout, better results.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

There’s been preliminary talk of preserving the SilverLine Corridor and the preservation efforts will only accelerate now that the $50 Million Design Work has been awarded to get more specific data.  TOD absolutely will be applied to the whole corridor - probably in blanket fashion once this is under construction in the late 2020’s.  Definitely hoping a funding bond referendum is floated during a Presidential Election cycle - better turnout, better results.

I would have hoped they would have at least started before then. I hate to think how much development could occur that doesn't benefit the area and silver line before 2025. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/19/2020 at 12:23 PM, tozmervo said:

"Scare suburban voters" is the clear strategy. If the 2018 mid-terms showed the GOP anything, it's that they are hemorrhaging previously reliable suburban votes. 

Hey, look at me! I'm secretly an NPR political analyst. 
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/22/893899254/down-in-the-polls-trump-pitches-fear-they-want-to-destroy-our-suburbs

image.thumb.png.b939a5c1886aba057c375c98b9c3d0be.png

• Like 2