Unified Development Ordinance

kermit

^^ Atlanta grew the same way with many creeks rolling hills etc and only a grid system near downtown Midtown.

Phoenix on the other hand is a much newer city with flat valley landscape easy to do there with minimal turns and curves.  Dittos for most western cities but not all. 

• Like 3

^ I also have the sense that Charlotte never had the realization that it was going to grow substantially until the 1970s — so no one saw a need for planning for growth (e.g. the pervasiveness of the ‘trifling place’ narrative). By the time folks realized growth was happening, it was too late.

Meanwhile Western cities were getting built within the context of manifest destiny — so they were much better prepared to welcome new arrivals painlessly (until they all got overwhelmed about 25 years ago).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Also interesting that their mapping methods don't capture the majority of new multifamily development in Charlotte. I agree with the premise of the article and conclusions but their data visualization leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLT> said:

but their data visualization leaves a lot to be desired.

Always happens when you have non-geographers doing spatial visualizations. The Beruit blast radii on other cities yesterday was an even worse example of this (none of those cut and pasters have ever heard of map projections, so the circles were roughly twice as big as they should have been when applied to New York and London)

These types of errors are incredibly common with data ‘science’ types.

[steps off soapbox]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

This is pretty uncool (its still just a complaint, so not yet proven)

The latest ethics complaint against Bokhari, filed this weekend with the city clerk, uses identical language as the rezoning accusations involving Ajmera. Brandon Forbes, a Charlotte resident and attorney, said he realized that Bokhari — like Ajmera — had a pattern of leveraging zoning decisions to garner campaign contributions.

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

This is pretty uncool (its still just a complaint, so not yet proven)

This is how every city council member--both Republican and Democratic-- for the last 30 years has gotten elected... Pandora's Box has been opened. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the tweet, but it feels right to me. We certainly are not seeing any widespread anti-sprawl efforts in Charlotte (just disconnected pockets here and there).  I know Houston housing costs are relatively low, but can anyone here offer some perspective on housing prices in the more walkable portions of Houston relative to the remainder of the city?

While I am sure that the UDO will be a big improvement over our current zoning, I get the feeling that it will do little to reduce our 'disconnected pockets, here and there' problem.

I have had some business related dealings in Houston and have family that currently live there. All of the walk-able or "15 minute neighborhoods" I am aware of are exceptionally expensive. My favorite Neighborhood in the vein of adaptive reuse and pedestrian minded development is The Heights and the Zillow index on that place is over 450k.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

The Heights and the Zillow index on that place is over 450k.

Honestly that is a bargain relative to walkable Charlotte (Dilworth, Sedgefield and Villa Heights anyway, I think most other intown hoods as well)

Edited by kermit