2018 – Development Predictions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.  I actually think we will see some activity in LevineLand in 2018.  Don't know if that means Levine sells another tract of land or if he breaks ground with a co-developer on a project, but I just feel like LevineLand's time has come.  I also think we will all be happier with a redesigned parking garage apartment project than we would have been with a parking garage sticking out two or three floors above a 6 floor apartment project.

2. I think Legacy Union will include some condos.  I would like to see the hotel also include residences.

3.  I think the 20 floor mid-town tower gains re-zoning approval and announces an anchor by June.  I hope that spurs some additional development in Elizabeth, but won't make any projections related to that.

4.  I think in 2018 we will hear about another corporate relocation to South End in a yet to be announced tower.  Speaking of which, I haven't heard any updates on the Strawn Cottages redevelopment.  Anybody know anything of any substance?

Strawn.jpg.91aed20c92a13d36e2d143e6dfcbc219.jpg

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

3.  I think the 20 floor mid-town tower gains re-zoning approval and announces an anchor by June.  

I agree.  Assuming that it does not turn out to be another medical office tower proposal, I expect limited resistance from the neighborhoods surrounding it.     

All coming from my a**:

• We are all unimpressed with Gateways Station 
  • We are all extremely impressed with Main Library
  • Duke tower officially announced and we are all pressed
  • NoDa/Optimest Park explodes with opening of BLE (mostly multi-family, some retail, no office yet)
  • Developers will get modestly more creative in apartment design, but only in NoDa
  • West side of town siphons some of the edge NoDa loses
  • University City sees modest growth, most of it too car-friendly for our liking
  • Carolinas Healthcare or Novant announces large medical office development in midtown (maybe NAI's building, but I think KK will go there)
  • If KK does not go in RAI, will go in second phase of Legacy
  • No movement on convention hotel 
  • Danny Levine sits on his hands
  • Unified development ordinance still seems a ways off
  • Bezos buys the Panthers and Charlotte wins HQ2.  1,000+ footer will seem imminent.

Okay I will give this a try and here are my top 20.  

1. Amazon HQ2 will NOT come to Charlotte but will end up in eastern time zone most likely Atlanta 

2. That being said from #1 Charlotte will see 3-4 blockbuster new companies creating 500+ jobs in Charlotte in 2018

3. Uptowns first condo project will launch sales in 2018 first since the Skye was completed and this one will happen not like 1 Brevard. 

4. Another new office tower will be launched uptown with a company not even on anybodys radar but in the market

5. 2 large new hotels will be announced uptown one at Legacy and one at Tryon Place.  Maybe a W or JW Marriott. 

6. Another Levine parcel will be sold or co-developed in 2018

7. Panthers will be sold to a mostly Carolina investment group that is committed to keeping the team in Charlotte. And no P Diddy will not be involved though Michael Jordan will be. 

8. Panthers will make the playoffs but not quite the SuperBowl 

9.  Another office tower will be announced in SouthEnd with an anchor tenant

10. Construction will break ground on the new Elizabeth 3rd St NAI tower with an anchor tenant in 2018

11.Suburban warehouse development will continue to be hot especially in airport and Cabarrus submarkets.

12. Housing starts will trend upward again in 2018 and more and more townhomes built intown.

13.  CLT will attract another international flight from one of AA's partner airlines.

14. Overall the economy will be very good in the metro region and the state as a whole.

15. Toyota Mazda will chose the Greensboro megasite as their new plant site.  

16. Several major national retailers will be announced at Legacy and Tryon Place in 2018.

17. Suburban office development will pick up notably in Ballantyne and University area. 

18.  I-77 Express lanes will open late 2018 and people will use them much to surprise of critics. 

19. More manufacturing will continue to the come to the region in all outlying counties. 

20. More QuikTrips will open across Charlotte much to the delight of this author. Their coffees and teas are great! 

But what do I know.  I will do a check on myself in Dec. 2018.  Have a great New Year and get ready for all the announcements.  It is going to be fun to watch but a good year for Charlotte. 

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Eastland boosters in my Facebook feed seem to be very upset that you did not include Eastland

I think Eastland Mall will get jump started but mainly residential some for sale townhomes and rental apartments with shops to follow down the line.  

On 12/18/2017 at 1:38 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

http://www.charlottefive.com/development-questions-charlotte/

I wrote this article of 22 Development questions for 2018, I'd like to ask everyone what their Predictions for 2018 are. I'll add a few in later today when I'm less busy, but I wanted to open a thread up in the meantime.

FYI unless current plans change number 8 on your list is coming down... 

Some discussion has been had about trying to get a national retailer into Tryon Place but nothing is set in stone.  Hopefully this will happen and get the retail ball rolling in uptown in 2018.

3 minutes ago, JSquare said:

FYI unless current plans change number 8 on your list is coming down... 

Some discussion has been had about trying to get a national retailer into Tryon Place but nothing is set in stone.  Hopefully this will happen and get the retail ball rolling in uptown in 2018.

Yea I know its coming down. I only asked the question to get people asking that question, because I'm not happy it's coming down. Theres a couple National Retailers being heavily recruited between Tryon Place, Legacy Union, Atherton, Design Center, Phat Burrito, and DFA.

1. Duke Energy #2 gets announced 3rd Qtr, after a lengthy approval on rate hikes.
2. 401 South Graham is announced 1st quarter, its tall for that side of town
3. One of the older 60s or 70s skyscrapers uptown will get a full facelift and be converted to Class AA office.
4. Asana, Edens, and Lincoln Harris will each announce a major national retailer. 
5. Northwood Ravin will announce a new concept of the Polk building, they will not save the old building, they will build something with similar programming to 550 Uptown on stonewall.
6. Peebles and Conformity will not move on Brooklyn Village in 2018. For some reason doesn't seem to be anyones priority, city, developer, etc.
7. Lincoln Harris will announce phase 2, a 30+ floor residential tower on the corner of Mint & Stonewall, and a retail building topped with a hotel on Stonewall and Hill. They won't have yet announced their 2nd office tower fronting Tryon & Stonewall, which I expect to be 28 floors.
8. Southend will have three built to suit mid-high rise announced. Two near the Design Center, and one on W. Morehead on the Uptown Caberet Land. Southend is really on the precipice of truly exploding.
9. Southend will get a 12-15 floor condo tower.
10. Grubb won't move on Elizabeth Avenue
11. Homewood Suites will come back to life in Levineland, through a joint venture
12. Bofa will announce a tower on their Police land. 25 floors. 
13. Hall House will be announced as an Indigo Hotel
14. The Light Rail opens to rousing success. Optimist Park is crippled by development.
15. Uptown will get a brewery other than Rock Bottom.
16. Someone will accidentally burn down Ink & Ivy.
17. Midtown will get a second high rise announced, it won't be built in the end.
18. more to come as I think of them

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

8. Southend will have three built to suit mid-high rise announced. Two near the Design Center, and one on W. Morehead on the Uptown Caberet Land. Southend is really on the precipice of truly exploding.

A tower built on land around the Caberet would be great.

From what RDF said it makes me believe that South End is only going to become a hotter market, This time less for apartments and more for buisnesses who want office space but can’t quite afford to have an office Uptown so a perfect compromise to that would be South End. I sure do hope South End gets some office buildings and some more retail. I think 2018 will be a big year for Charlotte.

Archived