2018 – Development Predictions

From what RDF said it makes me believe that South End is only going to become a hotter market, This time less for apartments and more for buisnesses who want office space but can’t quite afford to have an office Uptown so a perfect compromise to that would be South End. I sure do hope South End gets some office buildings and some more retail. I think 2018 will be a big year for Charlotte.

Honestly, southend will be an extension of uptown by 2020. Not going to be a huge price difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not thrilled about SouthEnd becoming an uptown extension. 

1st Ward, Brooklyn Village, Uptown west of the railroad tracks needs to be built up more before I get too excited about SouthEnd becoming an extension. 

I have no predictions other than I hope retail starts to blossom uptown & we get a new Harrison teeter & Publix uptown 

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

1. Duke Energy #2 gets announced 3rd Qtr, after a lengthy approval on rate hikes.
2. 401 South Graham is announced 1st quarter, its tall for that side of town
3. One of the older 60s or 70s skyscrapers uptown will get a full facelift and be converted to Class AA office.
4. Asana, Edens, and Lincoln Harris will each announce a major national retailer. 
5. Northwood Ravin will announce a new concept of the Polk building, they will not save the old building, they will build something with similar programming to 550 Uptown on stonewall.
6. Peebles and Conformity will not move on Brooklyn Village in 2018. For some reason doesn't seem to be anyones priority, city, developer, etc.
7. Lincoln Harris will announce phase 2, a 30+ floor residential tower on the corner of Mint & Stonewall, and a retail building topped with a hotel on Stonewall and Hill. They won't have yet announced their 2nd office tower fronting Tryon & Stonewall, which I expect to be 28 floors.
8. Southend will have three built to suit mid-high rise announced. Two near the Design Center, and one on W. Morehead on the Uptown Caberet Land. Southend is really on the precipice of truly exploding.
9. Southend will get a 12-15 floor condo tower.
10. Grubb won't move on Elizabeth Avenue
11. Homewood Suites will come back to life in Levineland, through a joint venture
12. Bofa will announce a tower on their Police land. 25 floors. 
13. Hall House will be announced as an Indigo Hotel
14. The Light Rail opens to rousing success. Optimist Park is crippled by development.
15. Uptown will get a brewery other than Rock Bottom.
16. Someone will accidentally burn down Ink & Ivy.
17. Midtown will get a second high rise announced, it won't be built in the end.
18. more to come as I think of them

19. Eastland will lay fallow another year, also doesn't seem to be anyones priority. 
20. in addition to number 4, some of those companies will announce more than one national retailer. 
21. Uptown or SouthEnd will at least have an Apple Store announced.
22. There will be at least one tower announced that is completely off my radar, and theres a lot on my radar right now that isn't on this board yet.
23. West Elm Hotel will land in the Gold District, it will be one of many announcements in the Gold District in 2018.
24. Kimpton will announce a second hotel, but not in Dilworth, in SouthPark.
25. Optimist Park will start to become just another southend. 
26. Joe Kindred will announce a third restaurant, this time at Atherton Mill. 
27. Fatheads will land on South Tryon and West Tremont, it will be one of 5 more brewery announcements in 2018.
28. The UDO will not progress anywhere. 
29.  NoDa will become the busiest neighborhood outside of Uptown once the BLE opens up at 36th street. The people who don't go to NoDa because of lack of parking won't have that excuse anymore.
30.  Charlotte will do something great, and something stupid in the lime light.

-I personally would like to see the Entertainment District at the University area come to fruition (including Top Golf's 2nd location being announced there).  Would also like to see more of that area near the JW stop get developed.  Thought I saw plans awhile back for major renovations/development around the Boardwalks area and making a "downtown"/strolling/retail area along the light rail/Tryon.  

-Panther's new owners announce they will keep the team here long-term and talk about additional renovations including an indoor practice facility where the current outdoor practice fields are (The rain today made me think of this one lol.  It's silly they have to go to the convention center to practice when there is inclement weather.)  

-I think Levine land/North Tryon corridor is the next boom.  Market 42 will be the catalyst.  

-Music Factory grows a little more.  At the old 721 Steel Design building, a restaurant, bar, or brewery is announced.  Also, Avidxchange announces the start of their  second HQ building (and a possible hotel on-site as well).

-Most others have already been said, condos, retail announcements, couple more high-end hotels, etc.

22 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’ve been to NoDa... 4 times in my life because parking sucks. 

Since the inception of the blue line, I always said I would just go more often (because I like NoDa a lot) when the Lynx opens. 

well the caveat is Haberdish will have even longer wait times

I really hope for the retail and possibly an apple store to make Charlotte more of a cosmopolitan city rather than just a working city. Charlotte has plenty to do but the one thing it is lacking is shopping. I also hope we get a Hotel announced in south end. I really think south end and the Levine land are going to be the next boom area. I think the apartment boom will be heavy north of Uptown into NoDa but it will slow in South End. I think Urban Centers will start to pop up in Suburban towns like Southpark along with apartments. I think the start of retail being announced in charlotte this year will be a catalyst for other national brand retailers and local ones. 2018 is going to be big for suprises, retail, towers,  and office. I think apartments will still be built but mainly outside of 277.

3 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I really hope for the retail and possibly an apple store to make Charlotte more of a cosmopolitan city rather than just a working city. Charlotte has plenty to do but the one thing it is lacking is shopping. I also hope we get a Hotel announced in south end. I really think south end and the Levine land are going to be the next boom area. I think the apartment boom will be heavy north of Uptown into NoDa but it will slow in South End. I think Urban Centers will start to pop up in Suburban towns like Southpark along with apartments. I think the start of retail being announced in charlotte this year will be a catalyst for other national brand retailers and local ones. 2018 is going to be big for suprises, retail, towers,  and office. I think apartments will still be built but mainly outside of 277.

Southend already has a hotel under construction. There will be more hotels announced.

2 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I know, It’s the holiday inn, I want more of a luxury hotel in south end but we’re off to a start! 

Well I can tell you it'll be the nicest damn holiday inn express in the country. 

There are 3 hotel opportunities floating around Southend currently.

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

12. Bofa will announce a tower on their Police land. 25 floors. 

During the North Tryon Corridor presentation a few years ago there was talk of a large municipal garage spanning under 7th Street to provide tons of public parking.  Is that still part of the BOA tower project???

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

19. Eastland will lay fallow another year, also doesn't seem to be anyones priority. 
20. in addition to number 4, some of those companies will announce more than one national retailer. 
21. Uptown or SouthEnd will at least have an Apple Store announced.
22. There will be at least one tower announced that is completely off my radar, and theres a lot on my radar right now that isn't on this board yet.
23. West Elm Hotel will land in the Gold District, it will be one of many announcements in the Gold District in 2018.
24. Kimpton will announce a second hotel, but not in Dilworth, in SouthPark.
25. Optimist Park will start to become just another southend. 
26. Joe Kindred will announce a third restaurant, this time at Atherton Mill. 
27. Fatheads will land on South Tryon and West Tremont, it will be one of 5 more brewery announcements in 2018.
28. The UDO will not progress anywhere. 
29.  NoDa will become the busiest neighborhood outside of Uptown once the BLE opens up at 36th street. The people who don't go to NoDa because of lack of parking won't have that excuse anymore.
30.  Charlotte will do something great, and something stupid in the lime light.

31. Eastland will start to see some growth, the weeds will grow 1.5 feet taller

11 hours ago, DMann said:

During the North Tryon Corridor presentation a few years ago there was talk of a large municipal garage spanning under 7th Street to provide tons of public parking.  Is that still part of the BOA tower project???

If this is the case I hope they level that ugly ass deck with the 7th Street Market on the bottom floor. (Saving/relocating them in the process of course) the last thing Uptown needs is a massive parking deck. Watering down the 'parking market' will only serve to make parking cheaper Uptown and encourage people to drive when there are other options, or COULD be other options if the option of simply driving all the way in wasn't as palatable. 

17 hours ago, papadog said:

didn't see Ten Tryon/Publix mentioned on anyones 2018 or is that hibernating due to lack of interest or a given?

you know... I sort of forgot it wasn't under construction already. Let me see if I can get an answer on its status.

^If this happens it will be very convenient for me and everyone else in 4th ward who only have that small Harris Teeter as a quick option.  I am really hoping that 10 Tryon along with Market 42 will really spur the growth on the north side of the city. 

I predict that after these two jobs get underway we will see Levine feel the pressure of an increasingly hot market and will either sell off or make use of some of his land.... maybe...

Archived