Hourglass District

sunshine

2 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

I agree.

It is indeed a sad situation for anyone who is, because of a lack of transportation etc., forced to shop at that $#!thole.

Awwwww..... are we having a bad day today?... :cry:

Poor lil' fella.

Maybe a glass of chocolate milk would make you feel better. :)

52 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Awwwww..... are we having a bad day today?... :cry:

Poor lil' fella.

Maybe a glass of chocolate milk would make you feel better. :)

:dunno:

From your posts, I gather that you are 60+ years old, something like that, so why are you acting like a five-year-old when it comes to criticism of this particular store? 

Why do you take comments about a Winn-Dixie corporate store so personally? Maybe you have fond memories of stocking the shelves there in the 1960's or buying an already melting ice cream cone or a lukewarm grape Nehi for the 'one who got away' in the 1970's?

♫My thoughts were short my hair was long
Caught somewhere between a boy and man
She was seventeen and she was far from in-between
It was summertime in Northern Michigan the Curryford Winn-Dixie...

Is that what it is - fond memories that took place in the aisles of the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie from days long gone? 

:lol:

Edited by Camillo Sitte

6 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

It's still a dump.

Cheap lipstick on a fat, old, pig.

I agree.

It is indeed a sad situation for anyone who is, because of a lack of transportation etc., forced to shop at that $#!thole.

:dunno:

From your posts, I gather that you are 60+ years old, something like that, so why are you acting like a five-year-old when it comes to criticism of this particular store? 

Why do you take comments about a Winn-Dixie corporate store so personally? Maybe you have fond memories of stocking the shelves there in the 1960's or buying an already melting ice cream cone or a lukewarm grape Nehi for the 'one who got away' in the 1970's?

It was summertime in Northern Michigan the Curryford Winn-Dixie...

Is that what it is - fond memories that took place in the aisles of the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie from days long gone? 

:lol:

Have you been in there since they renovated?  I'm as critical of Winn Dixie as a chain being a dump as anyone.  My wife jabs at me because I make statements about how awful Winn Dixie is.   Since Bi-lo has acquired them and gone through bankruptcy I've been seeing a noticeable change in attitude of their staff and the renovation finally shows that corporate is serious about improving things this time (some of the staff there has been providing what I like to call Chik-fil-a level of customer service).  I'd much rather root for the underdog and see Winn Dixie turn around than see Trader Joes or Lucky's move in there.   Publix has been steadily getting more expensive so having W/D there to keep things in check will be welcome in my book.  I hope things work out for them.    

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

Have you been in there since they renovated?  I'm as critical of Winn Dixie as a chain being a dump as anyone.  My wife jabs at me because I make statements about how awful Winn Dixie is.   Since Bi-lo has acquired them and gone through bankruptcy I've been seeing a noticeable change in attitude of their staff and the renovation finally shows that corporate is serious about improving things this time (some of the staff there has been providing what I like to call Chik-fil-a level of customer service).  I'd much rather root for the underdog and see Winn Dixie turn around than see Trader Joes or Lucky's move in there.   Publix has been steadily getting more expensive so having W/D there to keep things in check will be welcome in my book.  I hope things work out for them.    

That store is kinda like a familiar old friend to me. I've shopped there on and off, never as my main go-to store, but when I need to pick up a few things, since around 1984-85. I don't "love" the place, but I also don't like seeing/hearing it undeservedly trashed as a "dump" (Colonial & Bumby was a dump) or it's shortcomings exaggerated about in such a vicious, hateful manner. 

2 minutes ago, codypet said:

I ran out of Quilted Northern on Monday and stopped in there on the way home because I was in a hurry and couldn't remember if Walgreen's/CVS carried the particular variety I prefer. The floors are still cracked and yellowed, the ceiling tiles are still stained, and I was able to view both the deli/bakery and meat departments on my way to/from the TP aisle and absolutely nothing has been done to even clean up let alone renovate that hot mess.

I stand by by assessment that these recent 'changes' are nothing but cheap lipstick on a fat, old, pig.

I for one would love to have a Trader Joe's on this side of town but Trader Joe's isn't a full-service supermarket.; apples to oranges. Also, I don't buy the argument that WD is cheaper than Publix. You might be able to save ~$2 on a ~$50 shop, but if I'm that concerned about ~$2, then I would go to Target and save ~$7.

40 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That store is kinda like a familiar old friend to me...but I also don't like seeing/hearing [about an old retail space in a nondescript strip mall] undeservedly trashed as a "dump".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that sentiment is really - I don't want to be overly hyperbolic here - but, that's really kinda strange. You sound like you are trying to protect the reputation of a person, not a dump that currently houses a Winn-Dixie, and make no mistake, that place is a dump. Objectively so.

But the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie is just a volume of retail space  in an old, nondescript strip mall. There is no heritage to it, no architectural significance.  It has no purpose or value beyond its ability to [currently] serve as a supermarket, which IMO it does quite poorly.

I have fond memories as a kid of hanging out at Downie's Sundreis, but those memories are tied to experiences with other people, Carrie Downie serving us at the counter and always carrying us for $.25 or $.30 when our allowance had run out, playing each other on this anachronism called a pinball machine because Carrrie didn't want to invest in an Asteroids machine, etc.

But I couldn't care less about the shack her store was housed in.  You can rip that hovel up and down here if you like, but that wouldn't in any way take away from my memories.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

3 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that sentiment is really - I don't want to be overly hyperbolic here - but, that's really kinda strange. You sound like you are trying to protect the reputation of a person, not a dump that currently houses a Winn-Dixie, and make no mistake, that place is a dump. Objectively so.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But they aren't entitled to call those opinions facts or state them in such a way as to imply they are, which is what you are doing. As I've said before, certainly that Winn Dixie isn't brand spanking shiny and new, and like anything else, it merits a certain amount of constructive criticism. But my point has always been, as I've also said before, it's nowhere in the same universe of being as bad as you describe it.

Also, I find it odd that you'd say that you "...don't want to be overly hyperbolic here...", when overly hyperbolic is pretty much all you've been on the subject from the beginning.

3 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

But the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie is just a volume of retail space  in an old, nondescript strip mall. There is no heritage to it, no architectural significance.  It has no purpose or value beyond its ability to [currently] serve as a supermarket, which IMO it does quite poorly.

I have fond memories as a kid of hanging out at Downie's Sundreis, but those memories are tied to experiences with other people, Carrie Downie serving us at the counter and always carrying us for $.25 or $.30 when our allowance had run out, playing each other on this anachronism called a pinball machine because Carrrie didn't want to invest in an Asteroids machine, etc.

But I couldn't care less about the shack her store was housed in.  You can rip that hovel up and down here if you like, but that wouldn't in any way take away from my memories.

So IOW, what you're saying, is that when you have fond memories associated with a long standing local business, there's a legitimate reason for that fondness, but when somebody else has them, even though they may not be based on having hung around there as children playing arcade games and scrounging free food because they were too poor to pay for it, their fondness isn't legitimate and doesn't count. 

Seems a tad self-centered.

I have a suggestion. I'm going over there tomorrow (or today if you're reading this on Friday, July 13) to pick up a few things for dinner. While I'm there, I'll take pictures all around the store. If you happen to drive by there over the weekend, you can do the same. I'll post my pics here next week and you can post yours. Let anyone who wants to, be the judge of whose pics back up their claims.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But they aren't entitled to call those opinions facts or state them in such a way as to imply they are...

I sure as hell can state as fact anything I see fit, and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

So IOW, what you're saying, is that when you have fond memories associated with a long standing local business, there's a legitimate reason for that fondness, but when somebody else has them, even though they may not be based on having hung around there as children playing arcade games and scrounging free food because they were too poor to pay for it, their fondness isn't legitimate and doesn't count. 

That isn't at all what I am saying. 

If you prefer to get all warm and fuzzy in your nethers over a decrepit storefront in a old, nondescript strip mall, then have at it.  It strikes me as weird, but hey, whatever does it for you.

But why do you insist on making this so personal? "Scrounging free food because you were too poor to pay for it" - what is that about? Every time I make a comment about that run down Winn-Dixie store you respond by attacking me personally. Why is that?  Are you really that insecure? Do you see my comments criticizing that $#!thole as some sort of  threat to  what you see as your safe space here?

I understand that you believe that you can get away with things like that here because of a general lack of moderation in this forum and your sense of your own importance , but it's really odd . Frankly, you sound just like Trump on twitter; insecurity over petty and often imagined slights resulting in attempts to bully someone from the safety of the interwebs. Then again, maybe you see that as a compliment.

And no, I am not going to go take photos of some craphole Winn-Dixie and post them here just so that you can have something else to argue about. I have far better things to do.

I ask this out of nothing more than morbid curiosity, and it's not like you are obligated to answer honestly - or at all - but why is defending the honor of that one particular Winn-Dixie store - not the company mind you, not the people who work there, but the store itself - so important to you that you would take time out of your life to literally undertake a field trip to try to prove wrong someone else's opinion on the Internet?

Dude, that's seriously...just wow.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

20 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

I sure as hell can state as fact anything I see fit, and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

That isn't at all what I am saying. 

If you prefer to get all warm and fuzzy in your nethers over a decrepit storefront in a old, nondescript strip mall, then have at it.  It strikes me as weird, but hey, whatever does it for you.

But why do you insist on making this so personal? "Scrounging free food because you were too poor to pay for it" - what is that about? Every time I make a comment about that run down Winn-Dixie store you respond by attacking me personally. Why is that?  Are you really that insecure? Do you see my comments criticizing that $#!thole as some sort of  threat to  what you see as your safe space here?

I understand that you believe that you can get away with things like that here because of a general lack of moderation in this forum and your sense of your own importance , but it's really odd . Frankly, you sound just like Trump on twitter; insecurity over petty and often imagined slights resulting in attempts to bully someone from the safety of the interwebs. Then again, maybe you see that as a compliment.

Puh-lease....

Quote:

From your posts, I gather that you are 60+ years old, something like that, so why are you acting like a five-year-old when it comes to criticism of this particular store? 

Why do you take comments about a Winn-Dixie corporate store so personally? Maybe you have fond memories of stocking the shelves there in the 1960's or buying an already melting ice cream cone or a lukewarm grape Nehi for the 'one who got away' in the 1970's?

It was summertime in Northern Michigan the Curryford Winn-Dixie... 

Is that what it is - fond memories that took place in the aisles of the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie from days long gone? 

Put down the victim card already.

40 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Don't you have a strip mall photo safari to plan? Maybe throw in a few epic twitter slams when you're done.  #thecurryfordwinndixieisheavenonearth

Maybe start a 'Curry Ford Winn-Dixie enthusiast' subreddit.

Nah, I don't do Twitter and I'm not even sure exactly what Reddit is.

Sorry.

11 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

I ask this out of nothing more than morbid curiosity, and it's not like you are obligated to answer honestly - or at all - but why is defending the honor of that one particular Winn-Dixie store - not the company mind you, not the people who work there, but the store itself - so important to you that you would take time out of your life to literally undertake a field trip to try to prove wrong someone else's opinion on the Internet?

Dude, that's seriously...just wow.

I'll answer, but first let me ask you, what is the source of your visceral hatred of the place? What could possibly have caused such anger, hostility and seething resentment towards a grocery store?

As to your question, first of all, why I defend the store is because I think it's both wrong and unseemly to so unfairly and dishonestly trash and denigrate a decent, long standing local business that's been a part of this neighborhood for so many years. Criticize the place fairly all you want, but when you start being grossly dishonest in your criticism, don't be shocked or surprised if someone calls you on it.

Furthermore, I'm not "taking time out of my life" or "undertaking a field trip" as you put it. I told you I'm going shopping there anyway, and as we all know, in the age of the cell phone, everyone has a digital camera with them everywhere they go. What kind of time is being taken out of my life by clicking a few pics while I'm there? 

Finally, another question I'm compelled to ask, is why do you feel the need to engage in such negative hyperbole and exaggeration? Why do you seem to have to represent things in such a negative light? Your grossly exaggerated descriptions of the store aside, why does a shopping trip there that I told you I was going to take anyway during which would take some pics while there, have to become in your description, "undertak(ing) a field trip to try to prove wrong someone else's opinion on the Internet"

Lotta hostility and dishonesty there, my friend.

Edited by JFW657

21 hours ago, JFW657 said:

My, you really are feeling cranky today aren't you?

Maybe a nice bowl of ice cream would be more in order.

I hear it's on sale at the Winn Dixie on Curry Ford... :rofl:

What exactly is your problem?

Is your knee-jerk reaction to insult anyone who you disagree with? 

You've been reported again. 

Barbershop in the adjacent plaza is moving into the WD plaza (the old nail salon between Winn Dixie and Theo's). They told me they were doing so in part because of the Winn Dixie remodel - it meant that the store would be staying put for the time being (in theory at least, as anything is possible). 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

...what is the source of your visceral hatred of the place? What could possibly have caused such anger, hostility and seething resentment towards a grocery store?

I have no hatred, visceral or otherwise. I have made a few quips pointing out how old, and run down, and dirty that $#!thole of a store is, but that's it. Nothing I have posted comes close to matching your passionate defense of what is just so many square feet of old, dirty, commercial retail space in a nondescript strip mall. 

I must admit however, that I find it seriously weird the degree to which you are so emotionally triggered by anonymous criticism on the Internet of an old, rundown  grocery store.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I defend the store is because I think it's both wrong and unseemly to so unfairly and dishonestly trash and denigrate a decent, long standing local business...but when you start being grossly dishonest in your criticism...

Nothing you have posted explains why you take this so personally, why it is that in response to criticism of an old rundown grocery store your response is to start hurling personal attacks.

I am reminded of that cartoon [from the New Yorker?] of a man, sitting at his computer and ignoring his wife's entreaties to come to bed because "someone is wrong on the Internet".

I don't have a DSM-5 handy, but your obsession with criticism of this store is starting to sound like a very real pathology. 

Oh, and that Curry Ford Winn-Dixie is still a craphole. :lol:

Edited by Camillo Sitte

Here's the deal. I am being flooded with reports from every single one of you reporting one another. Either you guys need to get along, just add each other to your ignore list so those posts don't even show up, or I can suspend a small handful together. Let me know how you guys would like to proceed. :tw_pensive:

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Here's the deal. I am being flooded with reports from every single one of you reporting one another. Either you guys need to get along, just add each other to your ignore list so those posts don't even show up, or I can suspend a small handful together. Let me know how you guys would like to proceed. :tw_pensive:

I have asked you 6-8 times to something about the personal attacks.  There is a total lack of respect for differing opinions here. I have asked you  3-4 times for your supervisor's information.  If you are unwilling to do anything, I will take it up with your supervisor.  If you want to suspend me, I will ask your supervisor why nothing has been done regarding my reports.  

Let me know how you want to proceed. 

Just now, I am Reality said:

I have asked you 6-8 times to something about the personal attacks.  There is a total lack of respect for differing opinions here. I have asked you  3-4 times for your supervisor's information.  If you are unwilling to do anything, I will take it up with your supervisor.  If you want to suspend me, I will ask your supervisor why nothing has been done regarding my reports.  

Let me know how you want to proceed. 

I'm not sure what information you want me to give you as I run this site. It is my call who stays and who goes. You've been reported as many times as everyone else. I'm tired of several folks in this thread and I'm currently issuing warnings and suspensions for abusive behavior in this thread. I reserve the right to follow-up with a user regarding any report that they make. For the most part, the reports that have been made have been petty. This is a public forum where disagreements are going to happen. You likely knew that when you signed up for an account. We offer a very easy to use ignore feature that I've mentioned yet it appears that those in this thread like the attacks as they keep happening which means the ignore feature isn't being utilized.

You can't report something but still enjoy seeing the types of stuff that you report. I absolutely will not suspend or ban based on opinions. I will (and have) warned and suspended temporarily based on personal attacks. Most of the reports I've received are just because someone doesn't agree with an opinion which is the definition of a forum.

Petty?  You are surely joking.  I've been called a douche bag on multiple occasions. I sent it to you and nothing was done.

I've been attacked daily for offering no more than my opinion.

And I asked for your assistance. Nothing happened.

Someone else was being attacked today.  He was attacked for commenting on the cleanliness of a freaking grocery store. Now THAT is petty stuff.  I had nothing to do with the discussion. Yet I did more to protect the guy than you did. 

51 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Petty?  You are surely joking.  I've been called a douche bag on multiple occasions. I sent it to you and nothing was done.

I've been attacked daily for offering no more than my opinion.

And I asked for your assistance. Nothing happened.

Someone else was being attacked today.  He was attacked for commenting on the cleanliness of a freaking grocery store. Now THAT is petty stuff.  I had nothing to do with the discussion. Yet I did more to protect the guy than you did. 

You honestly have no idea what conversations I have with users behind the scenes or what I've done to mitigate the issue. Again, you have been involved with this as well and have the tools at your disposal to block other users. I did suspend and warn today, so if things continue to be an issue then some folks will find themselves without access to the site. Please allow time. Again, you can BLOCK users at any time.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Here's the deal. I am being flooded with reports from every single one of you reporting one another. 

Not everyone. I’ve never reported anyone for anything. I mean, it’s the Internet.

Still not sure how I got dragged into a warning because of comments I made about a dirty old grocery store making me the subject of someone else’s bizarre  personal attacks but it’s not my board so I - we - play by the owner’s rules. Fair enough.

I promise that I am not being snarky but I am not sure I understand the notice I received. Am I barred from making any future disparaging comments about the building at 2960  Curry Ford Road? I was reading it on my phone so perhaps it just wasn’t displaying properly.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

4 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Not everyone. I’ve never reported anyone for anything. I mean, it’s the Internet.

Still not sure how I got dragged into a warning because of comments I made about a dirty old grocery store making me the subject of someone else’s bizarre  personal attacks but it’s not my board so I - we - play by the owner’s rules. Fair enough.

I promise that I am not being snarky but I am not sure I understand the notice I received. Am I barred from making any future disparaging comments about the building at 2960  Curry Ford Road? I was reading it on my phone so perhaps it just wasn’t displaying properly.

If you want to know and it wasn't made clear in the warning then here are a couple of examples of why you received a warning. Again, you received a warning, you did not receive a suspension which is a totally different thing.

From your posts, I gather that you are 60+ years old, something like that, so why are you acting like a five-year-old when it comes to criticism of this particular store? 

I don't have a DSM-5 handy, but your obsession with criticism of this store is starting to sound like a very real pathology. 

At the end of the day I do not have time to read through every single post. I'm receiving a ton of reports from several of those participating in this thread, even after I've publicly mentioned the ability for every single one of you to use the forum's ignore feature so you all aren't compelled to keeping digging holes. Opinions are awesome, that's why we're all here and hopefully we end up with a better place because of it. What isn't cool is stooping to levels of calling someone pathological  or making some joking about someone.

Look, I get it. I had to quit Facebook because I absolutely could not contend with those supporting one side of the political arena and acting as if everything around them was fake news. We all get a little excited about proving someone wrong or showing them how crazy something sounds. Sometimes you just have to let it go and move on. If no one feeds the troll then the troll will leave. This site has been around since 2003 and trust me, we've had our fair share of trolls. It isn't a new thing and it is hard to deal with. Just because someone doesn't like an opinion doesn't mean that I can suspend or ban. I would say 90% of the reports that I received from those in this thread were for nothing more than "I can't believe this person disagreed with me."

That isn't enough for me to take action so I honestly had to wait for it to get to the point where you guys are flinging crap at one another with name calling and the like. Don't take a warning personal, but do take it as an opportunity to take a step back and ask yourself if you are any better than the person you're countering. Again, don't feel the troll (you are not the troll).