Hourglass District

sunshine

On 7/12/2018 at 7:12 PM, Camillo Sitte said:

I ran out of Quilted Northern on Monday and stopped in there on the way home because I was in a hurry and couldn't remember if Walgreen's/CVS carried the particular variety I prefer. The floors are still cracked and yellowed, the ceiling tiles are still stained, and I was able to view both the deli/bakery and meat departments on my way to/from the TP aisle and absolutely nothing has been done to even clean up let alone renovate that hot mess.

I stand by by assessment that these recent 'changes' are nothing but cheap lipstick on a fat, old, pig.

I for one would love to have a Trader Joe's on this side of town but Trader Joe's isn't a full-service supermarket.; apples to oranges. Also, I don't buy the argument that WD is cheaper than Publix. You might be able to save ~$2 on a ~$50 shop, but if I'm that concerned about ~$2, then I would go to Target and save ~$7.

That's 100% Fair assessment with the floors and ceiling tiles I suspect they're still not done wrapping things up as far as the shelving with the floors in the ceiling tiles. If they leave the store in the condition it is right now I would agree with you there's definitely more cleaning that needs to be done. I was pretty much talking about the optimism I had for the Improvement of the store as a whole if they continue to do the cleanup that they're supposed to be doing. what this has to do with the Hourglass District is that there is a well-established grocery store that looks to be investing in the area because it sees value in it.  I welcome that considering we might just lose the Walgreen's soon.  the signage on the front of the Winn-Dixie furthers my feeling that the Walgreens has to be turned into a Dollar Tree. I had said in the past that some other Walgreens in the area have been turned into Dollar Trees and just recently the Dollar Tree at Conway and Curry Ford closed its doors. I'm thinking that it was in anticipation of moving.

20180714_093019.jpg

20180714_094006.jpg

Edited by codypet

The new Walgreen building is looking nicer. I just wish they would activate the entire store front that are facing curry ford with window display instead of blank wall. The smoke shop needs to go.

And I saw some activities in the old Dollar Tree store.  I am still hoping the old Walgreen building becomes an Aldi.

3 hours ago, sunshine said:

I am still hoping the old Walgreen building becomes an Aldi.

I honestly would love that!  I don't WANT Dollar Tree to move in, I'm just reading the tea leaves.  That said Aldi would fit the demographic, the building itself suits Aldi, and it would be the closest Aldi to downtown.

After all the excitement in this thread last week about Curry Ford's cute little Winn-Dixie (has that store EVER generated so much attention before?), the Sentinel couldn't resist taking a look:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-s4-winn-dixie-new-look-store-orlando-20180719-story,amp.html

Getting Better All the Time (TM)!?!

For us, the discussion of the neighborhood's changing demographics (hence, more craft BEER) is probably the most significant.

Edited by spenser1058

I eat down that way a lot and a couple of times I've popped in to buy something quick after.  I've had nothing but bad service and I don't want to fan any flames, but it was kind of nasty in there.  I haven't been inside in about 3-4 weeks, but this isn't just pre-work commenting.  Fancy red paint aside, it's still not a nice store.

I hadn't been inside since last week and I had been holding out hope that the floors and ceiling would have been redone because that stuff is relatively cheap and makes a huge difference, but at least from the Sentinel photos it doesn't look like they did that.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? They did 3/4's of a renovation.:tw_expressionless:

On 7/17/2018 at 12:12 PM, codypet said:

I honestly would love that!  I don't WANT Dollar Tree to move in, I'm just reading the tea leaves.  That said Aldi would fit the demographic, the building itself suits Aldi, and it would be the closest Aldi to downtown.

I dunno. They weren't interested in the former Bealls at The Market at Southside.

From Aldi's Real Estate Opportunities page:

Specific location criteria:

• ±22,000 square feet with a minimum of 95 dedicated parking spaces
  • 2.5 acre pads for purchase and development
  • End-cap or inline space with minimum of 103’ of frontage
  • Signalized, full access intersection preferred
  • Dense trade area population within 3 miles
  • Sites located in community and regional shopping districts with convenient access to population
  • Sites zoned to allow grocery use
  • Daily traffic count in excess of 20,000 vehicles per day

https://corporate.aldi.us/en/real-estate/real-estate-opportunities/

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I dunno. They weren't interested in the former Bealls at The Market at Southside.

From Aldi's Real Estate Opportunities page:

Specific location criteria:

• ±22,000 square feet with a minimum of 95 dedicated parking spaces
  • 2.5 acre pads for purchase and development
  • End-cap or inline space with minimum of 103’ of frontage
  • Signalized, full access intersection preferred
  • Dense trade area population within 3 miles
  • Sites located in community and regional shopping districts with convenient access to population
  • Sites zoned to allow grocery use
  • Daily traffic count in excess of 20,000 vehicles per day

https://corporate.aldi.us/en/real-estate/real-estate-opportunities/

Is a Walgreens 22000sf? That might be a deal killer but I would think the CF location might not be as offputting since the Bealls spot is cheek by jowl with a Walmart grocery story.

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Is a Walgreens 22000sf? That might be a deal killer but I would think the CF location might not be as offputting since the Bealls spot is cheek by jowl with a Walmart grocery story.

Possibly. Although the Aldi's on Semoran & CF is right near a Sedano's.

According to their criteria list, they prefer being in the thick of concentrated retail areas, but on the other hand, having both a Walmart and a Publix not to mention the Lucky's u/c, that might've been a bit too much competition for them.

Not sure if the Walgreens would meet the size requirement, though.

According to the Walgreens company info webpage, the average size of their stores is about 14,500 sf.

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/companyhelp/company_help_main.jsp#Vision Direct Information

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Possibly. Although the Aldi's on Semoran & CF is right near a Sedano's.

According to their criteria list, they prefer being in the thick of concentrated retail areas, but on the other hand, having both a Walmart and a Publix not to mention the Lucky's u/c, that might've been a bit too much competition for them.

Not sure if the Walgreens would meet the size requirement, though.

According to the Walgreens company info webpage, the average size of their stores is about 14,500 sf.

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/companyhelp/company_help_main.jsp#Vision Direct Information

image.thumb.png.fd8ff7f26c79fd109881245b14727790.png

So 52 spaces not including the plaza to the east of it.  Its a little smaller than their normal stores and has less property.  Maybe they could knock off the drive-thru and put a small addition to the back?

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Everybody on Nextdoor Kaley/Bumby says I should show up to OPPOSE the bike lane..... :dunno:

There's a guy in my neighborhood that was rear ended by an inattentive driver during the study period.  He's convinced that the experiment caused his accident and noone could tell him otherwise.  I told him that its possible the lower speed made his crash less severe than it would have been without the study but he's adamant that it wouldn't have happened if they just left the road alone.

On 8/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, NJBlake said:

Foxtail and Leguminati are in soft opening currently. looks awesome inside.  They are calling it the Hourglass Social House and has a pseudo GB's Bottle shop vibe. 

The exterior Social House sign is placed directly above the Tamale Co/patisserie space but the Coffee/vegan/liquor store is called the Social House. I bet Foxtail demanded their logo on the exterior which effed up the sign placement.