Hourglass District

sunshine

Saw a post on Nextdoor about how homeless people have been camping out around the old Walgreens at Curry Ford and Peel. Apparently trash and old tires are beginning to accumulate around the property. Now they're concerned that the same thing might happen at the ABC a block east of there. Hope the place doesn't stay abandoned very long.

There is an article in the Sentinel that this will officially be part of the Orlando Main Streets program. The city is making a new district called "Curry Ford West" that will encompass all of the business areas from the Hourglass District east to Conway Road. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-orlando-curry-ford-west-20181004-story.html

os-ne-orlando-curry-ford-west-20181004.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Interesting how this plays out.   Hourglass seems  protective of their branding based on some previously reported cease and desists that they issued.   I wonder if they’ll be on board with this or worried about the mixed messaging 

My thinking is that Hourglass wins out because it's more catchy than Curry Ford West and simpler to say. Of course, it will depend on what people see the most so will there be more press releases from Hourglass or CFW.

People look for the simplest descriptors. Pine Hills, for example, was a very specific subdivision from OWG Rd to Silver Star along Pine Hills Rd.

Eventually, it came to encompass just about everything from Tampa Ave to Good Homes Rd and the other names fell away because Pine Hills was a simple two-syllable name. (A fact my mother loathed because our neighborhood, Westwood, had houses much more like Winter Park Pines than the simple stucco boxes of Pine Hills. She lost that battle, however.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

My thinking is that Hourglass wins out because it's more catchy than Curry Ford West and simpler to say. Of course, it will depend on what people see the most so will there be more press releases from Hourglass or CFW.

People look for the simplest descriptors. Pine Hills, for example, was a very specific subdivision from OWG Rd to Silver Star along Pine Hills Rd.

Eventually, it came to encompass just about everything from Tampa Ave to Good Homes Rd and the other names fell away because Pine Hills was a simple two-syllable name. (A fact my mother loathed because our neighborhood, Westwood, had houses much more like Winter Park Pines than the simple stucco boxes of Pine Hills. She lost that battle, however.)

Plus the fact that it so readily lent itself to being intentionally mispronounced as "Crime Hills".

• Haha 1

IIRC, someone mentioned in discussing the redo of the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie that they neglected to replace the floors that may have gone back to its A&P days.

I notice in this article that these stores are getting new floors with their rehabs.

Winn-Dixie pledged to remodel stores. Its finished 79, with four more coming to Tampa Bay

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/Winn-Dixie-pledged-to-remodel-stores-It-s-finished-79-with-four-more-coming-to-Tampa-Bay_172400600

(Via Tampa Bay Times)

5 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Does the outside still look like a gas station or did they actually do some significant upgrading to the exterior as well?

They preserved the pumps and the awning, but did some updating on the exterior. Nothing significant, but it looks much better. I'll grab a new photo next time I drive by, but this is it mid-refurb from OS.

os-cfb-orlando-hourglass-district-trademark-20180226.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 10/9/2018 at 1:54 PM, spenser1058 said:

IIRC, someone mentioned in discussing the redo of the Curry Ford Winn-Dixie that they neglected to replace the floors that may have gone back to its A&P days.

I notice in this article that these stores are getting new floors with their rehabs.

Winn-Dixie pledged to remodel stores. Its finished 79, with four more coming to Tampa Bay

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/Winn-Dixie-pledged-to-remodel-stores-It-s-finished-79-with-four-more-coming-to-Tampa-Bay_172400600

(Via Tampa Bay Times)

That was me.  No new ceiling tiles or floors.  Someone mentioned that it may have been from A&P.  Could it be asbestos and that's why they didn't touch it?   I know they talk about that all the time on HGTV.  If they disturb it, they have to take it all out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hourglass Brewery has their sign up on the old church next to the Peaceful Peacock. Looks like they are doing some landscaping work to the outside as well.

Also found an article in the Sentinel mentioning the plan is for it to be open by the end of the year. (it is also a really interesting article about making it as a microbrewery) 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-breweries-20181031-story.html#

Edited by NJBlake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NJBlake said:

F&D wood fire Kitchen now open

What I am enthusiastic about is that this and Cafe Madrid bring what the hourglass district was severely missing: Bottomless Mimosa and Sangria Brunch. 

Additionally, the menu looks great and really high end. great addition to the area. 

Blake how is the new Cafe Madrid?  I loved the old one but haven't made it out there since it reopened.