Hourglass District

sunshine

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The site is way too small for a Publix or a Walmart Neighborhood Market and it doesn't meet the basic location requirements for an Aldi. 

That WD has been there since at least the 70's and will probably be there another couple of decades if not longer. And though it's not my regular grocery store, the people who shop there regularly seem to like it.

It'll probably outlast us all. :lol:

After the nuclear apocalypse, roaches, rodents and Winn-Dixies will inherit the earth. That seems strangely appropriate.

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

After the nuclear apocalypse, roaches, rodents and Winn-Dixies will inherit the earth. That seems strangely appropriate.

That would be preferable to roaches, rodents and any of those overpriced, millenial hipster, phony-baloney, style over substance, grocery fad boutique stores inheriting the Earth.

The future is looking up!!! :thumbsup: :D

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

That would be preferable to roaches, rodents and any of those overpriced, millenial hipster, phony-baloney, style over substance, grocery fad boutique stores inheriting the Earth.

The future is looking up!!! :thumbsup: :D

Which is why I’m sticking with Publix and Le Tarjaaay! (Although Lucky’s looks kind of interesting...)

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Which is why I’m sticking with Publix and Le Tarjaaay! (Although Lucky’s looks kind of interesting...)

Both fine establishments.

I'll stick to WNM and, for the occasional quick trip to pick up something I'm out of, the aforementioned, devoid of fancy-shmancy fu-fu lettuce, "$#!thole". :shades: :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Both fine establishments.

I'll stick to WNM and, for the occasional quick trip to pick up something I'm out of, the aforementioned, devoid of fancy-shmancy fu-fu lettuce, "$#!thole". :shades: :D

We're Bj's Wholesale for most stuff and fill in the gaps with W/D.  Got a kid on the way so gotta buy in bulk!:tw_lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Someone should tell that to the Publix people before they try to do something dumb like put a full service store on the old Flagship Bank lot on Colonial. :tw_yum:

OK, I'm assuming you're talking about the Publix on E. Colonial at Shine Ave?

I did a little measuring using the Google Maps satellite view distance measuring tool. The buildings are both about the same size, but the parcels, which of course include parking differ in size significantly.

The Publix parcel has a larger parking lot that is dedicated to Publix customers, while Winn Dixie shares their parking lot with several other businesses, including a pub, a brewery, a couple of restaurants and a smoke shop. 

The two screenshots below are pretty close to the same scale...

pubdixie.jpg

Publix:

site-> 390' x 260' = 101,400 sf

bldg ->260' x 120' =   31,200 sf

Winn Dixie: 

site -> 290' x 220' = 63,800 sf (using only the spaces directly in front of the store)

bldg->145' x 215' =  31,175 sf

Using only the spaces directly in front of the store, it looks like the WD parcel is a good bit smaller than Publix.

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I did a little measuring using the Google Maps satellite view distance measuring tool. The buildings are both about the same size, but the parcels, which of course include parking differ in size significantly.

The Publix parcel has a larger parking lot that is dedicated to Publix customers, while Winn Dixie shares their parking lot with several other businesses, including a pub, a brewery, a couple of restaurants and a smoke shop. 

pubdixie.jpg

Publix:

Winn Dixie: 

site -> 290' x 220' = 63,800 sf (using only the spaces directly in front of the store)

Using only the spaces directly in front of the store, it looks like the WD parcel is a good bit smaller than Publix.

The Colonialtown Publix is about 28000sf vs. 45000 for the average Publix.

The CF Winn-Dixie, because it started out as an A&P in the late ‘60’s and, so far as I know, never expanded, is very likely that size or smaller because grocery stores generally were much smaller back then. 

Think of the College Park Publix that the current one replaced and dated to the mid-60’s.

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The Publix store is ~32,000 SF. The WD store is ~34,000 SF.

Limiting the WD parking lot to just the part "directly in front" is absurd.  The three businesses to the west, the Greek place, Gabriel's Subs, etc. use only ~10 spaces between them during peak times and Gabriel's closes at ~4PM. The businesses to the east mostly use the side lot facing Crystal Lake and the spots directly in front of the stores.

The fact is that WD shoppers use ~90% of the parking spaces that front Curry Ford.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

1 hour ago, Camillo Sitte said:

The Publix store is ~32,000 SF. The WD store is ~34,000 SF.

Limiting the WD parking lot to just the part "directly in front" is absurd.  The three businesses to the west, the Greek place, Gabriel's Subs, etc. use only ~10 spaces between them during peak times and Gabriel's closes at ~4PM. The businesses to the east mostly use the side lot facing Crystal Lake and the spots directly in front of the stores.

The fact is that WD shoppers use ~90% of the parking spaces that front Curry Ford.

Nope.

I've been there more than once when patrons of the two bars had so many spaces taken up, I had to circle the lot until one finally opened up.

Just yesterday, I'm guessing because of the Pro Bowl, the bars were both packed and so was the parking lot. There was actually a traffic jam at the end of one lane where one person was waiting for another to back out, which was blocking another person from backing out so four of us just sat there for a good two minutes waiting for them to complete their little ballet.

After I finally parked, I went in WD and there weren't that many people in there.

But even without that kind of occasional traffic jam, I seriously doubt Publix would invest in opening up a store with such limited parking that they also have to share with several other businesses.

Publix is never gonna happen there.

Viva la Winn Dixie!!!! :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Winn-Dixie for that stretch was originally at Dover Center.

Yes, Where Clemon's is now.

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

pubdixie.jpg

Publix:

Winn Dixie: 

Publix has a parking lot across Hillcrest for customers to use as well.   The plaza owners WERE trying to buy the adjacent plaza and I'm unsure if they were successful, but both the barber shop and Gabriels have moved into the bigger plaza.  There is a lot of work that needs to be done to the Peel/Curry Ford intersection with that plaza and the abandoned Walgreen's.  I don't think a Publix is really appropriate with the other one just down the road.  That said a google maps search says the Paramount Publix is the closest one to me.   (ALDI I'm looking at you to salvage this Walgreen's building!)

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Nope.

I've been there more than once when patrons of the two bars had so many spaces taken up, I had to circle the lot until one finally opened up.

Just yesterday, I'm guessing because of the Pro Bowl, the bars were both packed and so was the parking lot. There was actually a traffic jam at the end of one lane where one person was waiting for another to back out, which was blocking another person from backing out so four of us just sat there for a good two minutes waiting for them to complete their little ballet.

After I finally parked, I went in WD and there weren't that many people in there.

But even without that kind of occasional traffic jam, I seriously doubt Publix would invest in opening up a store with such limited parking that they also have to share with several other businesses.

Publix is never gonna happen there.

Viva la Winn Dixie!!!! :thumbsup:

6pm on a weekday and that plaza has no parking.  To the point where people are parking in the aisles along the street curb.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, codypet said:

Yes, Where Clemon's is now.

Publix has a parking lot across Hillcrest for customers to use as well.   The plaza owners WERE trying to buy the adjacent plaza and I'm unsure if they were successful, but both the barber shop and Gabriels have moved into the bigger plaza.  There is a lot of work that needs to be done to the Peel/Curry Ford intersection with that plaza and the abandoned Walgreen's.  I don't think a Publix is really appropriate with the other one just down the road.  That said a google maps search says the Paramount Publix is the closest one to me.   (ALDI I'm looking at you to salvage this Walgreen's building!)

6pm on a weekday and that plaza has no parking.  To the point where people are parking in the aisles along the street curb.

I’m guessing that’s not because of a run on the latest specials from Thrifty Maid and Crackin’ Good...

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m guessing that’s not because of a run on the latest specials from Thrifty Maid and Crackin’ Good...

Thrifty Maid and Crackin' Good are long gone and a distant memory. 

A few years ago they switched to a brand called "Value Time". That soon changed to "Clear Value". Now they sell "SEG" which reflects the name of their parents company Southeast Grocers.

They still sell Check √ soft drinks, though as well as some items that carry the Winn Dixie name.

Edited by JFW657

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

A few years ago they switched to a brand called "Value Time". That soon changed to "Clear Value". Now they sell "SEG" which reflects the name of their parents company Southeast Grocers.

They still sell Check √ soft drinks, though as well as some items that carry the Winn Dixie name.

Thanks for that - I was mostly being nostalgic. “Clear Value” makes sense on its own and as a close substitute to Walmart’s “Great Value” items. I do have to wonder what marketing genius who ever set foot outside an accounting office thought a name like “SEG” would attract anyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

IMO that was a smart branding move.  They're effectively the same thing, but it does appear to be more upscale.

image.png.6d407385a21421549ad0f61baa6c3a72.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

IMO that was a smart branding move.  They're effectively the same thing, but it does appear to be more upscale.

image.png.6d407385a21421549ad0f61baa6c3a72.png

That seems to be more the photo than anything else. How many customers do you suppose have any clue what “SE Grocers” even is?

And if they knew it means Bi-Lo, which is a step below even Winn-Dixie, would that make sense as a premium product?

Compare that to Publix branded products, which makes perfect sense because Publix is, in itself, perceived as a premium brand?

36 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That seems to be more the photo than anything else. How many customers do you suppose have any clue what “SE Grocers” even is?

And if they knew it means Bi-Lo, which is a step below even Winn-Dixie, would that make sense as a premium product?

Compare that to Publix branded products, which makes perfect sense because Publix is, in itself, perceived as a premium brand?

I'm pretty sure most people who shop at WD on a regular basis know that SE Grocers is the name of the parent company basically because it's become common knowledge. Moreover, I think what they're mostly paying attention to is the price difference between them and the name brands and the comparative quality upon trying it. 

Compared to the old Thrifty Maid products, the quality has greatly improved and are at least as good as Publix brand procucts, not to mention the name brands.

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm pretty sure most people who shop at WD on a regular basis know that SE Grocers is the name of the parent company basically because it's become common knowledge. Moreover, I think what they're mostly paying attention to is the price difference between them and the name brands and the comparative quality upon trying it. 

Compared to the old Thrifty Maid products, the quality has greatly improved and are at least as good as Publix brand procucts, not to mention the name brands.

Trust me, the average consumer doesn’t know who owns what. A survey a few years back found that most people thought Disney owned Universal and had no idea Chrysler was no longer an American company.

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Trust me, the average consumer doesn’t know who owns what. A survey a few years back found that most people thought Disney owned Universal and had no idea Chrysler was no longer an American company.

I think you're generalizing. Not knowing which giant entertainment company owns another or where a giant auto manufacturer is based, is a far cry from knowing the name of the company that owns the grocery chain you shop at every week or what the name on your jar of spaghetti sauce means. Slightly more personal level interaction going on there.