Hourglass District

sunshine

5 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

I attended the info meeting the city held last week about this project. They'll be using paint and temporary stick-style barricades to help define the bike lanes, mid-block crosswalks, and other features. Originally they had planned to run the demonstration project from Bumby to Conway Gardens but the short timeline mandated by Safe Streets America necessitated having to pull back the scope to Bumby-Crystal Lake.

Fun fact that was mentioned during the meeting: the test section of Curry Ford handles fewer cars per day than a similar sized section of Edgewater Drive through CP. The more you know ...

This is great. I hope it becomes permanent.

• Like 1

I believe it.  I can't wait till it narrows up.  As someone who lives right on Bumby, I'm hoping it diverts traffic to Crystal Lake.  I think extending to Conway Gardens would have been overkill.  If they do a lane drop in front of ABC liquors so people can turn onto Crystal Lake, you have a nice flow for traffic to the west.  I'd like to see more onstreet parking too.

• 2 weeks later...

The selling agent is placing "sold" signs outside those condos when a unit sells, but I've only seen 4 marked as such so far.

And if you want to talk about "bleh" SFHs, check out the newly constructed ones around the corner on Bumby, just north of Kaley. They look like something that would have been built in the 'burbs about 30 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone been on Curry Ford since the road diet started?  My neighborhood is 50/50 split.  50% love the added bike lanes and the other 50% are threatening to murder the people who like them.  I haven't seen it yet so I don't know, but I'll take a look at it this weekend.

It’s funny because I’m in a smart growth Facebook group and the general Conway neighborhood one and you wouldn’t know it’s the same project between the two narratives.

Ive purposely skipped using the bus and driven through it a few times and it IS a mess around rush hour but really not bad the other 22 hours.   Some other thoughts I had after trying to be objective - 

1) This will be more of a human behavior demonstration than a physics one regarding traffic.   It was terrible at peak (cars stuck in intersection, backups throughout) but it was only day 1.  How many trips will be altered and how much will the system self-correct?

2) That rationale will not get you very far in Conway.  I love it there but man is it anti-gov and anti-urban.    My last point would be viewed as government social engineering.

3) Does anyone know if the Hourglass developer is incredibly lucky or they had a hand in the bid to get this grant/project?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

It’s funny because I’m in a smart growth Facebook group and the general Conway neighborhood one and you wouldn’t know it’s the same project between the two narratives.

Remarkably similar to the Corinne Drive stuff.  "We want it to move traffic, bikes, and pedestrians as fast as possible!"  "We don't want *anyone* outside our neighborhood to ever use this road, so make it as slow as possible!"

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Ive purposely skipped using the bus and driven through it a few times and it IS a mess around rush hour but really not bad the other 22 hours.   Some other thoughts I had after trying to be objective - 

1) This will be more of a human behavior demonstration than a physics one regarding traffic.   It was terrible at peak (cars stuck in intersection, backups throughout) but it was only day 1.  How many trips will be altered and how much will the system self-correct?

2) That rationale will not get you very far in Conway.  I love it there but man is it anti-gov and anti-urban.    My last point would be viewed as government social engineering.

3) Does anyone know if the Hourglass developer is incredibly lucky or they had a hand in the bid to get this grant/project?

My understanding is that two projects were working independently and wanted the same result.   The owner of the WinnDixie plaza planned or did buy the Family Dollar Plaza and in an effort to make it more attractive pushed for a "Main Street" (Curry Ford West)  At the same time, the Hourglass District people were working on revamping an old Cumberland Farms gas station and a few adjacent properties.  When the Irish Pub was booted in favor of the new Walgreen's this whole thing picked up speed.  I am annoyed that the Hourglass people tore up Bumby and did an atrocious job of it only 4 months after the County resurfaced Bumby. 

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I would ignore the traffic, if it is backed up, let it be. Pedestrians should always have the priority.  Even in this case, not body is using it. But it is the first step of creating urban neighbourhood and get Orlando off the list of worst city for pedestrians. 99% of the people here has car first mentality.

Why is it anti-urban?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NJBlake said:

Man, this change is getting a LOT of heat on nextdoor and facebook. I hope they keep the project going long enough that everyone settles down and accepts the changes. 

Agreed.   I'm seeing benefits downstream so I'm loving it.  My experience with facebook is people fear change and they love to complain.  I feel like there was more heat when the city switched to once a week garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Agreed.   I'm seeing benefits downstream so I'm loving it.  My experience with facebook is people fear change and they love to complain.  I feel like there was more heat when the city switched to once a week garbage.

Facebook???

People in general everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I saw a Nextdoor topic starts buy a Guetzloe,   Enough said.

The legacy lives on?

People hated the Edgewater road diet well past the first couple of weeks if not years, especially due to traffic created by Edgewater HS. As someone who grew up in CP (and as kids we would walk to elementary and high school back in the day), I can say the change was for the best.

IMO, Edgewater and Curry Ford are nothing alike. Many commercial buildings along Edgewater Dr are built next to the road which creates a nice streetwall & pedestrian experience. Curry Ford does not have a consistent streetwall and has more of a Corrine Dr feel than anything else. I'm not saying CF shouldn't go on a road diet, but I don't understand why people keep comparing CF to Edgewater unless buildings along CF are going to be torn down for redevelopment.

• Like 1