Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

Hourglass District

Recommended Posts

Pro or Anti?

If it is against, I'm curious as to how a beat up Citgo with trucks parked everywhere is better?

That's a huge factor in why I didn't think said piece of land was worth half of what was paid for it.  $90k for a bowling alley lot next to a gas station with massive trucks parked about 20' from where my bedroom would be?  Granted, I was banking on improvements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Unfortunately, you may be right.

Here's one of the drawings that most closely reflects what's there now, with the convenience store and gas island still in place...

Here's a street view of the property from the angle of view indicated on the drawing...

As nearly as I can tell, the trees with the check marks on them appear to be the ones represented in the drawing, while the two with the X's on them, look to be gone.

I don't know if the city can prevent their removal or not. I hope they can and do.

If not, let's hope sanity prevails and somebody is persuaded to build around them.

The good thing is that these are all very preliminary plans right now and according to the article, they haven't even found a developer yet.

Anybody know how the land use change hearing went?

The placement of the tree closest to Henderson looks too set back from the street to be the tree that is currently there, but I would love to see the trees saved!  I love your thinking JFW657; it would be devastating to the character of the neighborhood to cut those trees down!  The property is technically in Orange County, which doesn't have protections for historic trees, but if I had to guess, the largest tree on that property is 300 years old.  The canopy is so wide that they would have to build all 3-story structures on the south side of the lot, up against the houses on Carlton, and a row of structures parallel to Bumby, behind the commercial building.  If they did that, they might not be able to fit all the buildings they want to fit to maximize the zoning.  I have a feeling they already have a developer, based on who is present at meetings and how this thing is just rolling forward.  I also know that three adjacent businesses were all approached to sell by a 'rude' lawyer associated with the development.  I am planning to go to the public hearing on rezoning this Thursday, but if you want to speak, you have to submit a request to do so in advance.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Pro or Anti?

If it is against, I'm curious as to how a beat up Citgo with trucks parked everywhere is better?

That's a huge factor in why I didn't think said piece of land was worth half of what was paid for it.  $90k for a bowling alley lot next to a gas station with massive trucks parked about 20' from where my bedroom would be?  Granted, I was banking on improvements.

Those that are against it, are opposed to the density and the 3-story structures, which are not really compatible with what else is here.  The planned development would introduce a population overnight that is as large as the current residential population in the 4 streets surrounding it combined.  The required parking would exceed 100 spaces.  34 multi family units and 7,500 square feet of commercial space, plus 100 parking spaces on 1.74 acres.  Traffic will become a nightmare, as there are zero cars driving to and from the lots now, yet it's still often impossible to turn left/North onto Bumby at this intersection.

Edited by killawatts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, killawatts said:

The placement of the tree closest to Henderson looks too set back from the street to be the tree that is currently there, 

Those are conceptual drawings and are only approximations. They aren't to scale or meant to be overly accurate representations of what's there, so the trees probably aren't placed in exactly the right spot. Basically an artist's concept.

I do hope there's enough of a public outcry to save them, though.

Keep us apprised of any new meetings if you hear of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, killawatts said:

I love your thinking JFW657; it would be devastating to the character of the neighborhood to cut those trees down!  The property is technically in Orange County, which doesn't have protections for historic trees, but if I had to guess, the largest tree on that property is 300 years old.  

Found this old OBJ article from 2001. I wonder if it offers any hope...

Orange County adopts tree ordinance

Orange County commissioners approved an amended tree protection and removal ordinance 5 to 1 on Tuesday night.

The ordinance is designed to protect trees in unincorporated Orange County, control their removal and prevent clear-cutting by developers.

Under the new tree policy, developers can't bulldoze trees more than 24 inches in diameter. They must maintain a buffer of trees along the edge of a construction site if within 200 feet of bordering a tree. And trees as small as eight inches must be protected.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2001/11/05/daily22.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killawatts said:

Those that are against it, are opposed to the density and the 3-story structures, which are not really compatible with what else is here.  The planned development would introduce a population overnight that is as large as the current residential population in the 4 streets surrounding it combined.  The required parking would exceed 100 spaces.  34 multi family units and 7,500 square feet of commercial space, plus 100 parking spaces on 1.74 acres.  Traffic will become a nightmare, as there are zero cars driving to and from the lots now, yet it's still often impossible to turn left/North onto Bumby at this intersection.

I did do a legitimate bit of research into the area, so I'm very familiar with what existed 18 months ago.  I was thinking of building a home a few hundred feet from there.  I don't agree that there are zero cars now.  The trucks coming from the grass lot, the vehicles from the transmission shop, and the residents put some traffic out onto Bumby.  I know it's not a massive intersection, but there is some traffic.  I went out and visited the street a bunch of different times of day and different days.

I agree that all of that and 100 parking spaces on 1.74 acres would be nuts.  I don't, however, see the option you mention happening.  100 parking spots is roughly 0.80 of an acre, which leaves less than 1 acre for 34 apartments and 7,500 sq feet of commercial space.  I like density, but that's Kowloon Walled City density.  One of the other options has to be their real plan.

 

 

Edited by HankStrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Pro or Anti?

If it is against, I'm curious as to how a beat up Citgo with trucks parked everywhere is better?

That's a huge factor in why I didn't think said piece of land was worth half of what was paid for it.  $90k for a bowling alley lot next to a gas station with massive trucks parked about 20' from where my bedroom would be?  Granted, I was banking on improvements.

A lot of Anti.  The meeting was dominated with people not wanting to see a densification of the area (which is understandable as exampled by killwats post).  They had a hard time understanding that's what the meeting was for.  I kept explaining that change is coming and its meeting like this that prevent something wild going up.   Right now nothing keeps Walmart from deciding to build a Supercenter where the Winn-Dixie plaza is if the price was right.  Once I explained it like that some people started understanding the purpose of the meeting.  There were a lot of strong opinions in that meeting, and a lot of people generalizing whole groups/classes of people as bad etc.  Typical public meeting stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.