Hourglass District

sunshine

Thankfully, even if Xander had the same gumption as Doug, it's a totally different era. The days of our politicians cowering at a Guetzloe are long gone. 

With even the county going blue outside a few pockets, the Ax the Taxers now have about as much impact locally as the grumpy old man screaming at the kids to get off his lawn.

There's always Lake County or The Villages for that brand of nonsense.

I got this in the mail today, for whatever significance it might have to someone...

notice.jpg

Something about a variance for serving drinks within the 1,000 foot limit from a religious institution.

Corner of Curry Ford and Russell.

Hearing is on April 5th. How many days away is that? :whistling:

I just noticed that on the line labelled LOCATION:, it says "East of Russell Ave.".

If you look at the Location Map, the darkened rectangle representing the property in question is to the WEST of Russell Ave.

Scary when the County Zoning Dept can't even get their East and West straight.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I just noticed that on the line labelled LOCATION:, it says "East of Russell Ave.".

If you look at the Location Map, the darkened rectangle representing the property in question is to the WEST of Russell Ave.

Scary when the County Zoning Dept can't even get their East and West straight.

Which is why I insist on living in the city *giggles*. Actually, Scott J noted that Claddagh supposedly solved its liquor license issues by moving the front doors to the other side of the building.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4284-a-wee-wait-more-for-claddagh-cottage-opening

Edited by spenser1058

I got this in the mail today, for whatever significance it might have to someone...
notice.jpg&key=16cbc9e1baa50101dba9814c33e310aea35ca48116dde576b85913e5521f05f9
Something about a variance for serving drinks within the 1,000 foot limit from a religious institution.
Corner of Curry Ford and Russell.
Hearing is on April 5th. How many days away is that? :whistling:

I'll also take this as a glimmer of hope the Foxtail location will finally open ... some day. And perhaps with cocktails on the menu!

Yesterday, I received in the mail, two more notices of public hearings re: variance requests for beverage serving within 1,000' feet of a religious institution, both at the same Bumby & Curry Ford intersection.

The businesses involved are:

East West Place LLC, southeast corner Bumby & CF. Looks like the old garage.

Cilantros Taqueria, northeast corner of Bumby & CF just north of the convenience store/gas station (former Hungry Howie's)

Got another one today, but it is just a corrected version of the one I posted Monday, with the correct hearing date, which is May 3rd at 1:00 pm for all three.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Yesterday, I received in the mail, two more notices of public hearings re: variance requests for beverage serving within 1,000' feet of a religious institution, both at the same Bumby & Curry Ford intersection.

Cilantros Taqueria, northeast corner of Bumby & CF just north of the convenience store/gas station (former Hungry Howie's)

Got another one today, but it is just a corrected version of the one I posted Monday, with the correct hearing date, which is May 3rd at 1:00 pm for all three.

I think someone at OC just has a crush on JFW. It's a secret admirer! *giggles*

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

You and I have to live right next to each other.  I got all 3 of these too.

• Thanks 1

I drove this the other day and I also found it awful.  I understand it and I know WHY they are trying this.  I still found it an awful experience and would definitely be motivated to take my business elsewhere if this were what I had to deal with to get to these places.  I love to eat and drink in this area and do so regularly.  This sucked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I drove this the other day and I also found it awful.  I understand it and I know WHY they are trying this.  I still found it an awful experience and would definitely be motivated to take my business elsewhere if this were what I had to deal with to get to these places.  I love to eat and drink in this area and do so regularly.  This sucked.

I agree with your sentiment, this is an awful attempt. The problem is there is no real alternative routes. We need to be realistic, I'm sure there is other measured we can do to improve bike and pedestrain safety without making drivers full of road rage and angry, which is less safe for everyone on the road.

3 hours ago, alex said:

I appreciate Patty Sheehan and know she has to represent her constituents, but once again we have City Commissioners with no education in urban planning or transportation design making big statements:

That seems like a failure of staff to communicate the projects worthiness to the commission.   From what I understand they totally underestimated the backlash.

Maybe it's because my background is political, but it seems to me like this is a good response.

She acknowledges a problem reaching a fever pitch in her district and notes she went out in the district to see the problem first hand.

What she did NOT do was throw staff under the bus. She did NOT say this must end now.

What she did say was "we will get this right." She encouraged folks to come in from the extremes and work together to fix the problem.

Were I on her staff, I could have written this. If I were the commissioner, my response would have been similar.

How she proceeds from here will be important but Patty usually heads in the right direction, imho.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1