Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

Hourglass District

Recommended Posts

Xander Guetzole is passing around a petition to get this reverted back to it's old configuration.  I guess apple doesn't fall from the tree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 Not the smartest move to have a Guetzloe put their name on it if they want City Hall to even consider taking it seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully, even if Xander had the same gumption as Doug, it's a totally different era. The days of our politicians cowering at a Guetzloe are long gone. 

With even the county going blue outside a few pockets, the Ax the Taxers now have about as much impact locally as the grumpy old man screaming at the kids to get off his lawn.

There's always Lake County or The Villages for that brand of nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug lived in my neighborhood.  I don't know if Xander does but he's seeming to be a thorn in the side of our neighborhood as much as Doug was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to drive the same route in the mornings as DG's buddy, the lady with her car plastered in Ax the Tax stickers (Linda???? I'm not sure) and all sorts of random sayings.  Can't remember her name now, but she was big in his org and drove like a mad woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this in the mail today, for whatever significance it might have to someone...

notice.jpg

Something about a variance for serving drinks within the 1,000 foot limit from a religious institution.

Corner of Curry Ford and Russell.

Hearing is on April 5th. How many days away is that? :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

The Irish Pub is only going to have a beer and wine license?

No Jameson's for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that on the line labelled LOCATION:, it says "East of Russell Ave.".

If you look at the Location Map, the darkened rectangle representing the property in question is to the WEST of Russell Ave.

Scary when the County Zoning Dept can't even get their East and West straight.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I just noticed that on the line labelled LOCATION:, it says "East of Russell Ave.".

If you look at the Location Map, the darkened rectangle representing the property in question is to the WEST of Russell Ave.

Scary when the County Zoning Dept can't even get their East and West straight.

Which is why I insist on living in the city *giggles*. Actually, Scott J noted that Claddagh supposedly solved its liquor license issues by moving the front doors to the other side of the building.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4284-a-wee-wait-more-for-claddagh-cottage-opening

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I got this in the mail today, for whatever significance it might have to someone...
notice.jpg&key=16cbc9e1baa50101dba9814c33e310aea35ca48116dde576b85913e5521f05f9
Something about a variance for serving drinks within the 1,000 foot limit from a religious institution.
Corner of Curry Ford and Russell.
Hearing is on April 5th. How many days away is that? :whistling:

I'll also take this as a glimmer of hope the Foxtail location will finally open ... some day. And perhaps with cocktails on the menu!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our whole neighborhood got these today, but the public meeting was April 5th?  So did they just plan that poorly that they sent the notices out after they had the meeting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, I received in the mail, two more notices of public hearings re: variance requests for beverage serving within 1,000' feet of a religious institution, both at the same Bumby & Curry Ford intersection.

The businesses involved are:

East West Place LLC, southeast corner Bumby & CF. Looks like the old garage.

Cilantros Taqueria, northeast corner of Bumby & CF just north of the convenience store/gas station (former Hungry Howie's)

Got another one today, but it is just a corrected version of the one I posted Monday, with the correct hearing date, which is May 3rd at 1:00 pm for all three.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Yesterday, I received in the mail, two more notices of public hearings re: variance requests for beverage serving within 1,000' feet of a religious institution, both at the same Bumby & Curry Ford intersection.

The businesses involved are:

East West Place LLC, southeast corner Bumby & CF. Looks like the old garage.

Cilantros Taqueria, northeast corner of Bumby & CF just north of the convenience store/gas station (former Hungry Howie's)

Got another one today, but it is just a corrected version of the one I posted Monday, with the correct hearing date, which is May 3rd at 1:00 pm for all three.

 

 

I think someone at OC just has a crush on JFW. It's a secret admirer! *giggles*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yesterday, I received in the mail, two more notices of public hearings re: variance requests for beverage serving within 1,000' feet of a religious institution, both at the same Bumby & Curry Ford intersection.

The businesses involved are:

East West Place LLC, southeast corner Bumby & CF. Looks like the old garage.

Cilantros Taqueria, northeast corner of Bumby & CF just north of the convenience store/gas station (former Hungry Howie's)

Got another one today, but it is just a corrected version of the one I posted Monday, with the correct hearing date, which is May 3rd at 1:00 pm for all three.

 

 

You and I have to live right next to each other.  I got all 3 of these too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a place for us to write to the city to ask them to keep the bike lane forever and eventually extend them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate Patty Sheehan and know she has to represent her constituents, but once again we have City Commissioners with no education in urban planning or transportation design making big statements:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove this the other day and I also found it awful.  I understand it and I know WHY they are trying this.  I still found it an awful experience and would definitely be motivated to take my business elsewhere if this were what I had to deal with to get to these places.  I love to eat and drink in this area and do so regularly.  This sucked.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still love the B roll that WFTV did with the camera on the dash, the bum riding his bike on the sidewalk and the lady jaywalking all at once. Video gold! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I drove this the other day and I also found it awful.  I understand it and I know WHY they are trying this.  I still found it an awful experience and would definitely be motivated to take my business elsewhere if this were what I had to deal with to get to these places.  I love to eat and drink in this area and do so regularly.  This sucked.

I agree with your sentiment, this is an awful attempt. The problem is there is no real alternative routes. We need to be realistic, I'm sure there is other measured we can do to improve bike and pedestrain safety without making drivers full of road rage and angry, which is less safe for everyone on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alex said:

I appreciate Patty Sheehan and know she has to represent her constituents, but once again we have City Commissioners with no education in urban planning or transportation design making big statements:

 

That seems like a failure of staff to communicate the projects worthiness to the commission.   From what I understand they totally underestimated the backlash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's because my background is political, but it seems to me like this is a good response.

She acknowledges a problem reaching a fever pitch in her district and notes she went out in the district to see the problem first hand.

What she did NOT do was throw staff under the bus. She did NOT say this must end now.

What she did say was "we will get this right." She encouraged folks to come in from the extremes and work together to fix the problem.

Were I on her staff, I could have written this. If I were the commissioner, my response would have been similar.

How she proceeds from here will be important but Patty usually heads in the right direction, imho.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.