Hourglass District

sunshine

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I did that.

My little shady oasis is going the same route as the Zoi tree.

There are some oak trees along the fence line that are probably headed for the same fate.  

Oh well.

Progress. 

Ok cool.  I posted this for my neighbors and more than one person assumed I designed this.   So I figured I should clarify everything. 

On 1/29/2022 at 10:30 PM, Jernigan said:

A ton of blocks have shown up in the parking lot of the closed gas station on Bumby between Curry Ford and Kaley 

I walked past there today.

Looked like about six stacks of blocks plus a pile of loose ones laying out against the fence.

Looked like some smaller finish bricks, too.

Also, there looked to be about a dozen or so of those big forklift bags of sand, probably about a ton each and a pallet or two of bagged concrete.

Not enough material for a very big job.

Might be going to do something on that site.  

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I walked past there today.

Looked like about six stacks of blocks plus a pile of loose ones laying out against the fence.

Looked like some smaller finish bricks, too.

Also, there looked to be about a dozen or so of those big forklift bags of sand, probably about a ton each and a pallet or two of bagged concrete.

Not enough material for a very big job.

Might be going to do something on that site.  

Are these new bricks or the bricks that were dropped there when they built the lot behind Hourglass Brewing.

I feel like I won the house lottery buying the house I did for less than $300k in late 2015.  There's houses in the neighborhood getting close to that $1m line now.  Definitely up and coming neighborhood.  I remember griping in 2015 that the list price was over $300k and it was SO FAR from downtown.  Both things the me of today would smack my former self for complaining about today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Are these new bricks or the bricks that were dropped there when they built the lot behind Hourglass Brewing.

I feel like I won the house lottery buying the house I did for less than $300k in late 2015.  There's houses in the neighborhood getting close to that $1m line now.  Definitely up and coming neighborhood.  I remember griping in 2015 that the list price was over $300k and it was SO FAR from downtown.  Both things the me of today would smack my former self for complaining about today.

IDK about the bricks. They look to be a dark grey color. 

If I go for a walk up that way later today I'll take a camera with me and snap a couple.

They appear to have been dropped off along with the blocks, though.

Several of the blocks are bond beam blocks, whatever that may indicate other than that a wall is going up. 

28 minutes ago, codypet said:

So not these then?

image.thumb.png.806a1d71d3e45a1929db21f4f7fcc434.png

No, wrong location.

Jernigan was talking about the old convenience store gas station at the corner of Bumby & Henderson.

Went by there today, took a couple of pics and talked to someone in a position to know a couple of things about the goings on....

104-0087.jpg

104-0089.jpg

The explanation is a bit convoluted.

The materials pictured are for the new F&D location. They aren't being staged so much as they are being stored. The owner of this property owns all the property at Curry Ford & Bumby & Jessamine. They bought the stuff and are storing it due to the rising cost and difficulty of obtaining construction materials.

The lady I talked to is the owner of The Peaceful Peacock. The old gas station convenience store in the above pics, along with the large building behind it to the west, is going to be their new location and they are in the process of getting that competed.

All that notwithstanding, the mixed use project on Curry Ford is still not a sure thing and could still see significant alterations. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We've been told it was for renovations because in the last few months that station has fallen into disrepair.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's curtains for that station.  Since the sign is still standing. I assume it's getting the refurbishment.   I hope so because there goes all my Tmobile rewards if that one is gone, since Circle K already converted the others from Shell.

50 minutes ago, codypet said:

We've been told it was for renovations because in the last few months that station has fallen into disrepair.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's curtains for that station.  Since the sign is still standing. I assume it's getting the refurbishment.   I hope so because there goes all my Tmobile rewards if that one is gone, since Circle K already converted the others from Shell.

Since that was the closest Shell to downtown after the one at Orange and Michigan closed, I used to buy gas there. The way it was arranged, it was hard to maneuver around the pumps. I finally said to heck with it and started going up to I4 and Par.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Since that was the closest Shell to downtown after the one at Orange and Michigan closed, I used to buy gas there. The way it was arranged, it was hard to maneuver around the pumps. I finally said to heck with it and started going up to I4 and Par.

I4 and Par got the same fate as Ferncreek/Michigan and Underhill/Conway. All Circle K gas now.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

Yes, that was a tricky set up there. I stopped going when they no longer let you pay at the pump. :tw_confused:

I think our last option around SoDo/Conway for Shell is the one on Conway just south of Lake Margaret. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, angela1117 said:

Yes, that was a tricky set up there. I stopped going when they no longer let you pay at the pump. :tw_confused:

I think our last option around SoDo/Conway for Shell is the one on Conway just south of Lake Margaret. 

Yea, I would still pay at the pump anyway.  I always thought it was a way to keep you from using the Shell rewards.   That one down Conway is too far out of the way for me.  So for now I'm just using Wawa until they reopen or just stay with Wawa forever.

6 hours ago, codypet said:

Yea, I would still pay at the pump anyway.  I always thought it was a way to keep you from using the Shell rewards.   That one down Conway is too far out of the way for me.  So for now I'm just using Wawa until they reopen or just stay with Wawa forever.

Is Wawa Top Tier gas? I know 7-Eleven’s isn’t (ironically, Citgo is).

9 hours ago, codypet said:

Gullible me went inside to pay. It felt very claustrophobic in there. I'm interested to see what happens with that space, If someone tries to put something other than a gas station there will they have to treat the soil where the tanks were?

It interests me that 7-Eleven can build decent looking buildings with pumps downtown but the major oil companies like Shell and Chevron just pick up tacky little franchises on the verge of collapsing.

It’s a far cry than the ranch-style Exxon we once had at Mills and 50, the Gulf with pale blue glass around the front at Fernreek and 50 and the nice light-brick ranch Shell had at Hyer and 50. 

• Like 1