Hourglass District

sunshine

14 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Not exactly Michael Jackson but when I worked at Disney in high school Steven Tyler smoked a cigar in the backstage area behind Liberty Tree while I worked around him. 
Not as exciting as MJ!

Still a good one.

Just so I'm not responsible for derailing this topic too much, I want it to be known that I've never seen or encountered any celebrities in the Hourglass District.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Still a good one.

Just so I'm not responsible for derailing this topic too much, I want it to be known that I've never seen or encountered any celebrities in the Hourglass District.

Its been a slow news month as the biggest news has been a rebuilding of a Shell station.  Which I even asked myself, "why am I so excited about this".

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Its been a slow news month as the biggest news has been a rebuilding of a Shell station.  Which I even asked myself, "why am I so excited about this".

Whatever the technology is, I hope I live long enough to see the gas station disappear into the mist as a relic of the past.

7 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Whatever the technology is, I hope I live long enough to see the gas station disappear into the mist as a relic of the past.

I had a neighbor literally ask why are they bothering with a gas station when they're gonna be obsolete in 5 years.  I'd argue its possible that the new store will help that.  A nicer store might get him to compete with the Wawa across the street better that you know sooner or later is gonna put some sort of charging station there.  The one on Sand Lake already has Superchargers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I had a neighbor literally ask why are they bothering with a gas station when they're gonna be obsolete in 5 years.  I'd argue its possible that the new store will help that.  A nicer store might get him to compete with the Wawa across the street better that you know sooner or later is gonna put some sort of charging station there.  The one on Sand Lake already has Superchargers.

I recently visited the great state of Buc-ee's and was blown away.  They have 800,000 gas pumps.  I read that they signed an agreement with Tesla for SuperChargers but don't see anything indicating they exist yet.  The point is, once EV or Fuel Cell or RNT (Random New Technology) takes over for gasoline or diesel, these places will still need to exist.  However, I'm personally hoping the neighborhood gas station goes the way of the dodo.  

The idea being that people will still like the concept of rest stops.  Whatever you do there: use the restroom, buy snacks/drinks, fuel up, stretch your legs, make phone calls, catch up on email (or really whatever) you'll have a place to do it.
It seems natural, though, that people on a local level won't fuel up at gas stations by that point.  They will fill up at home and when they need it outside the house they will fill up at some multitasker location.  Be that workplaces, parking locations, restaurants, shopping stores, grocery stores, or the like.

That doesn't even take into account that removing personal vehicles (at least en masse for commuters & travelers, not for the  pleasure of driving) should be the goal of every gov't from local to region to state to nation levels.  That moves refueling to wherever those vehicles belong.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 8:08 AM, codypet said:

The theory at our house (since we've had occasion twice this week to drive by said Shell station) is that the awning will be the last to come down after the rest of it is cleared. My husband seems to think there will be better maneuverability  to take it down safely if they have more room to move around away from Curry Ford Rd. 

Just random musings from an old guy :tw_grin:

• Like 2

I've only gotten gas there a couple of times and went in to buy lotto tickest a couple of times, but all of it was a while ago.

From what I recall, it was a tight squeeze outside in the gas island area as well as inside the store. 

I'm not convinced another gas station convenience store would be the best option for that corner given the small size of the parcel. 

Maybe they'll put in a little park.... :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, angela1117 said:

The theory at our house (since we've had occasion twice this week to drive by said Shell station) is that the awning will be the last to come down after the rest of it is cleared. My husband seems to think there will be better maneuverability  to take it down safely if they have more room to move around away from Curry Ford Rd. 

Just random musings from an old guy :tw_grin:

Nah the site plan was pretty clear.  Plus that awning is less than a year old.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:55 PM, HankStrong said:

I recently visited the great state of Buc-ee's and was blown away.  They have 800,000 gas pumps.  I read that they signed an agreement with Tesla for SuperChargers but don't see anything indicating they exist yet.  The point is, once EV or Fuel Cell or RNT (Random New Technology) takes over for gasoline or diesel, these places will still need to exist.  However, I'm personally hoping the neighborhood gas station goes the way of the dodo.  

The idea being that people will still like the concept of rest stops.  Whatever you do there: use the restroom, buy snacks/drinks, fuel up, stretch your legs, make phone calls, catch up on email (or really whatever) you'll have a place to do it.
It seems natural, though, that people on a local level won't fuel up at gas stations by that point.  They will fill up at home and when they need it outside the house they will fill up at some multitasker location.  Be that workplaces, parking locations, restaurants, shopping stores, grocery stores, or the like.

That doesn't even take into account that removing personal vehicles (at least en masse for commuters & travelers, not for the  pleasure of driving) should be the goal of every gov't from local to region to state to nation levels.  That moves refueling to wherever those vehicles belong.

You’ll no doubt be pleased to know that a scion of the Stuckey family is trying to bring the Pecan Log Empire back to life!

Note to @codypet: Stuckey’s often sold Texaco gas. 

*imagines back in the day on the Texaco Star Theater with @codypet (instead of Milton Berle) in front of dozens of Busby Berkeley-style dancers in Texaco uniforms, singing, “You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star - the Big, Bright Texaco Star!”*

May I also say that TV advertising in America has gone to h**l since the demise of the jingle.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You’ll no doubt be pleased to know that a scion of the Stuckey family is trying to bring the Pecan Log Empire back to life!

Note to @codypet: Stuckey’s often sold Texaco gas. 

*imagines back in the day on the Texaco Star Theater with @codypet (instead of Milton Berle) in front of dozens of Busby Berkeley-style dancers in Texaco uniforms, singing, “You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star - the Big, Bright Texaco Star!”*

May I also say that TV advertising in America has gone to h**l since the demise of the jingle.

Per Back to the Future II, that jingle was supposed to come back in 2015.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I really did like the retro Texaco station Universal Orlando had when it opened. I’m still not sure what “Marfak Lubrication” was.

Bring back Fire Chief and Sky Chief gas!

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Shame on me. I never saw the sequels.

Edited by spenser1058

52 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Awning is still standing. Green space behind is bulldozed to oblivion.

They could make it a Lynx SuperStop!

@codypetalso got me to thinking, with the Shell on Par St rebranding as a Circle K, about its days as a Tenneco. I used to stop most mornings on my way to Evans for a Coke and a Snickers at the Tenneco on Silver Star Rd. I was a huge believer in nutrition back then!

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

They could make it a Lynx SuperStop!

@codypetalso got me to thinking, with the Shell on Par St rebranding as a Circle K, about its days as a Tenneco. I used to stop most mornings on my way to Evans for a Coke and a Snickers at the Tenneco on Silver Star Rd. I was a huge believer in nutrition back then!

Breakfast of champions!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Awning is still standing. Green space behind is bulldozed to oblivion.

Its literally the awning, the sign, and the islands for the pumps still standing.  Everything else is just dirt.  Supposedly opening day is in July.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

Its literally the awning, the sign, and the islands for the pumps still standing.  Everything else is just dirt.  Supposedly opening day is in July.

I would imagine the "green space" (small patch of grass) behind the former store, will be utilized for some much needed expansion purposes. That old place was so cramped inside if there were three people in there at once, they'd be rubbing up against each other and not in a fun way.  

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, codypet said:

Yea the new store is almost double the size with the old store will be parking out front.  Pretty sure it'll fly the Circle K flag too.

I’m wondering about that as it wasn’t a Circle K before and there are still Shell stations in the area that aren’t. I guess we’ll find out shortly.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m wondering about that as it wasn’t a Circle K before and there are still Shell stations in the area that aren’t. I guess we’ll find out shortly.

Whoops! Anyways, the AmScot on the opposite corner was a Mobile for years and offered free air.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Colonial Plaza Mobil sign drives me crazy because they just changed it out from the square CITGO design. Mobil signs are supposed to be rectangular.

I know, I really am going to have to get a life…

image.thumb.png.39d3505ec95e939723a696a6176aac7e.png 

Malicious compliance

• Haha 1