Hourglass District

sunshine

1 hour ago, codypet said:

695088712_Screenshot_20220810-114918_OfficeMobile.thumb.jpg.0fad827ec08ab564146205ce3058f937.jpg

No, according to the site plan there's a row of buildings as a streetwall as part of the design.

Thanks for that.  I saw some pictures and elevations a while back and either just never noticed that streetwall or it wasn't on the ones I saw.  I thought the parking went all the way to Curry Ford.

That would appear to be about a 20'x75' outbuilding.  I wonder what it will be used for?  Pickup/Carry-out or maybe since it looks like 3 different units it may be concept eating or ghost kitchens?

On 1/24/2022 at 6:47 PM, angela1117 said:

New owners at Charlies  sounds like a great reason to go on a tasting trip. Thanks! Hope they keep the checkerboard cake. And the fancy cookies. And the cupcakes. And....and...and...:tw_blush:

So my husband and I stopped in at Charlie's today. I'd been in a couple of months ago on a quick errand to pick up some ice cream for my husband to try. He said he'll stick with Kelly's.

Todays visit was more baked goods related. The thing that struck me when we walked in was how much it didn't smell like a bakery. It didn't smell like anything. There was nothing sweetly enticing in the air, not even a hint that anything was actually baked there. One of the ladies behind the counter had super long fingernails...at least an inch long with embellishments on them. I guess she heard me when I said (quietly, I thought...guess not) to my husband "those nails" cause she glared at me.

I got a cupcake that was ok (glad it was served by the lady with reasonable fingernails). 

We are now on a mission to find a great bakery.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

So my husband and I stopped in at Charlie's today. I'd been in a couple of months ago on a quick errand to pick up some ice cream for my husband to try. He said he'll stick with Kelly's.

Todays visit was more baked goods related. The thing that struck me when we walked in was how much it didn't smell like a bakery. It didn't smell like anything. There was nothing sweetly enticing in the air, not even a hint that anything was actually baked there. One of the ladies behind the counter had super long fingernails...at least an inch long with embellishments on them. I guess she heard me when I said (quietly, I thought...guess not) to my husband "those nails" cause she glared at me.

I got a cupcake that was ok (glad it was served by the lady with reasonable fingernails). 

First, Orlando Meats - will Charlie’s be next? It’s a good thing BEEFY and Goff’s survived their arsonists and seem to be stronger than ever. 

Hearing about the demise of Orlando Meats reminded me of the butcher shop we went to when I was a kid - Crocker’s Meats. It was in a small industrial section right about where W. Washington St. turns into Old Winter Garden Rd. My grandparents and parents both shopped there but stopped going somewhere along the way although I’m not sure why. I tried googling it but didn’t get a hit. Oh well, nothing is forever, except maybe La Cantina…

Back in those days, the seafood department at Publix consisted of Mrs. Paul’s. So, if you weren’t on the coast and wanted something fresh from the briny deep, the go-to spot was the W. Church St. Fish Market. It too is long gone although the building stayed (there may not be much left since the barbershop fire). Thankfully, Lombardi’s is hanging in there, albeit without the restaurant.

Speaking of Lombardi’s, I’m very happy they’re going to have online ordering soon..

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, angela1117 said:

So I guess Charlie's has changed ownership?

I got to try some cheese danish from there once back in the mid 1990's.

My boss's wife bought one and brought it in to get our opinion.

One of the best tasting things I've ever eaten. 

I couldn't believe how good it was.

Always meant to go there myself and get one, but I never got around to it.

Probably too late now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, angela1117 said:

I wonder to what extent WAWA affected the Shell stations business?

Good question.

I would imagine that the only areas of direct competition between them were gas, beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets.

Shell probably beat Wawa on beer and cigarette prices.

Shell probably also got a lot of gas sales from eastbound CFR travelers who didn't feel like waiting in the turn lane to get into Wawa, then have to cross the opposite direction lanes again when leaving.

Only reason I can think of to squeeze into that tiny gas island. 

Tmobile and Winn Dixie rewards have me using the Shell even when it was a frustrating run down mess.  So I appreciate this upgrade.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, JFW657 said:

I like the faux stonework trim  band along the bottom.... :thumbsup: 

IMG-20220910-152053-214.jpg 

IMG-20220910-151918-679.jpg

IMG-20220910-152001-343.jpg

looks better than the siding that was proposed in the rendering they had in the permit

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, codypet said:

Tmobile and Winn Dixie rewards have me using the Shell even when it was a frustrating run down mess.  So I appreciate this upgrade.

looks better than the siding that was proposed in the rendering they had in the permit

I'm just hoping they'll have boiled peanuts there.  :P