Hourglass District

sunshine

• 2 months later...

Sadly I've noticed most people do not want to replace trees lost to disease or hurricanes. Seems like most of them do not want to deal with the leaves/debris clean up while forgetting the benefits of trees in urban areas. To me, the benefits outweigh the inconveniences.

I've planted a street tree bringing the total # of trees on my small lot up to 3.5 (half-tree is dying/dead). Meanwhile My neighbor lost 3 trees and has not replanted - granted it's a rental but still. I asked the owner to plant a free tree from the city and in exchange I offered to maintain it, but the city refused because it's a rental property. Tree canopy on my street has been declining over the past 10 years.

Update on the new Circle K going up at CFR & Crystal Lake....

I figured back in June when construction was just beginning on this place that it would be open for business well before now.

But as we can see, they're still toiling away at it.

Got some shots of the exterior and interior....

IMG-20221123-133052-588.jpg

IMG-20221123-132856-242.jpg

IMG-20221123-132908-489.jpg

IMG-20221123-132709-704.jpg

IMG-20221123-133006-022.jpg

IMG-20221123-132945-327.jpg

IMG-20221123-132958-261.jpg

IMG-20221123-133001-464.jpg

Much to my surprise, it appears that when completed, it's going to look like a convenience store.  :dontknow:   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Update on the new Circle K going up at CFR & Crystal Lake....

I figured back in June when construction was just beginning on this place that it would be open for business well before now.

But as we can see, they're still toiling away at it.

Got some shots of the exterior and interior....

IMG-20221123-133052-588.jpg

IMG-20221123-132856-242.jpg

IMG-20221123-132908-489.jpg

IMG-20221123-132709-704.jpg

IMG-20221123-133006-022.jpg

IMG-20221123-132945-327.jpg

IMG-20221123-132958-261.jpg

IMG-20221123-133001-464.jpg

Much to my surprise, it appears that when completed, it's going to look like a convenience store.  :dontknow:   

Maybe it’s taking so long because this is Ms. Ponte’s new gig…nevertheless, it will be a definite improvement on that corner.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 10:25 PM, nite owℓ said:

Sadly I've noticed most people do not want to replace trees lost to disease or hurricanes. Seems like most of them do not want to deal with the leaves/debris clean up while forgetting the benefits of trees in urban areas. To me, the benefits outweigh the inconveniences.

I've planted a street tree bringing the total # of trees on my small lot up to 3.5 (half-tree is dying/dead). Meanwhile My neighbor lost 3 trees and has not replanted - granted it's a rental but still. I asked the owner to plant a free tree from the city and in exchange I offered to maintain it, but the city refused because it's a rental property. Tree canopy on my street has been declining over the past 10 years.

I just wish that neighborhoods planted better trees in the verge.  It's horrid that they plant these oak trees in less than 5' of space that you get in most neighborhoods.  10-15 years in and the tree is 2'-3' in diameter with roots that are destroying the curb, the sidewalk, and sometimes killing the tree itself.  Maybe Florida Maple or Blue Beech or even a fruit tree of some sort would be better?

On 12/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, spenser1058 said:

Yes, Virginia, Orlando looked a lot better with endless vista of citrus groves instead of mile after mile of subdivisions.

I’m glad I was here to see that - not to mention the fragrance of orange blossoms wherever you went in the spring.

Yup! Back when being south of 50 in Winter Garden felt like being out in the middle of nowhere....but those orange blossoms smelled heavenly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angela1117 said:

Oh goodness, I heard the noise of the photo spitting out as I read your post 🙂 Yes, we had one of those too but the film was expensive on my beginning environmental health aide salary of $384 biweekly 😲 (circa 1984)

They sure were pricy.

And of course the Nora Ephron-ish TV ads with James Garner and Mariette Hartley years before “Sleepless in Seattle”…

• Like 1

Orlando couple to appear on ABC’s ‘The Great Christmas Light Fight’ Monday night
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/os-et-orlando-couple-abc-great-christmas-light-fight-covid-19-memorial-20221209-ykmlgnqdlngszbhmiprd5nspni-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The couple lives in the Lake Como ‘hood

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando couple to appear on ABC’s ‘The Great Christmas Light Fight’ Monday night
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/os-et-orlando-couple-abc-great-christmas-light-fight-covid-19-memorial-20221209-ykmlgnqdlngszbhmiprd5nspni-story.html

From The Sentinel 

That looks amazing! Will have to go by.

The tree in Lake Como is up! My kids swear that when they were little I told them that the tree rises up from the bottom of the lake each December. 🤣 I'm not sure I remember telling them this but I was always looking for the magic so maybe? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, angela1117 said:

That looks amazing! Will have to go by.

The tree in Lake Como is up! My kids swear that when they were little I told them that the tree rises up from the bottom of the lake each December. 🤣 I'm not sure I remember telling them this but I was always looking for the magic so maybe? 

Yea we put it up last week.   This was the first year Toddler Codypet was able to help.

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

Yea I wish the neighborhood light competition had a stipulation of no repeat winners because trying to compete is a futile effort.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Bad As’s gang is taking its talents to Burgers at its latest location on Curry Ford Rd and Scott J thinks they’re quite tasty:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/50-burger/6288-bad-as-s-burgers

While he’s at it, he even gets a dig in at Hungry Howie’s (not that I disagree with him).

• Like 1