Hourglass District

sunshine

IIRC, the tip everybody no matter what they do trend started as a result of all the COVID related closures, especially in the restaurant/service industry.

But since all that is pretty much over with, it seems like they should let it go.

I have to wonder what the motivation is for the employers to keep it around.

Maybe they figure the more they can get people to tip their employees, the less they'll have to pay them. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

IIRC, the tip everybody no matter what they do trend started as a result of all the COVID related closures, especially in the restaurant/service industry.

But since all that is pretty much over with, it seems like they should let it go.

Maybe they figure the more they can get people to tip their employees, the less they'll have to pay them. 

I just assumed it was the default setting on the POS (usually square) and the owner just opted not to change it.

I will say a place like Chicken Fire when moving from a paper based system to a self service computer ordering system earlier this year eliminated tipping as an option.  That said Chicken Fire does use square but I assumed as customized as that self ordering is, its likely that they could eliminate the tipping.  I will say to their credit, I almost never have to wait in line with this new ordering system whereas before there would frequently be a line out the door.  

Edited by codypet

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It might have expanded during COVID, but the idea of adding a tip line at 'fast casual' places where, in most cases, the point of sale/tip occurs before most of the service has happened predates COVID. I had lunch with some co-workers at Fuzzy's Tacos (RIP) and my co-worker left a tip.  His food came out extremely late after the rest of us and had a wrong item (instant pre-tipping karma).

That said, the motivation for employers to keep it is pretty obvious to me. They can (and have) promote positions that pay X as "on averaging, making Y an hour" based on wage + tips. 

All in all, it's a pretty magnificent social experiment. The DMV could add a tip line to the receipt and I bet a lot of people would add a buck. 

• Like 1

If they're actually doing something over and above their main job of taking my order, ringing it up on the register, preparing my food, filling the order and handing it to me on a tray.... things like refilling my soda, bringing more tortilla chips and salsa or whatever, I wouldn't mind tossing an extra buck in the jar on the way out.

What gets me is when places like Subway and Jersey Mike's not only have a tip jar next to the register, if you pay by card, it asks you if you want to add a tip.

For what?

I don't need the guilt feelings, so I don't eat there that much.  

One of the ones that got me is a ghost kitchen.  I love the food.

• I have to drive my own vehicle to get there. 
  • I pay a premium for the food because I can get the exact same (lesser taste) food for much cheaper.
  • They don't have anywhere to sit, they don't provide plasticware, they don't provide napkins, and they don't provide any condiments.  This is truly 100% self-sufficient beyond the meal itself.
  • You can't order there, there is no one to take your order.  You must order online.
  • I walk up to a window and say my name.  Someone hands it to me from a rack of completed meals.

The default in the app or the online menu is to add a 25% tip to the total.  You have to change it to remove it.  You can easily remove it, but you have to remove and not add it.  The 25% was to the final total, not even the pre-tax total.

In round numbers:

• $30 meal
  • $2 tax
  • $32 final meal
  • $8 tip
  • $40 final bill

I'm tipping for the privilege of what?  

24 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

One of the ones that got me is a ghost kitchen.  I love the food.

• I have to drive my own vehicle to get there. 
  • I pay a premium for the food because I can get the exact same (lesser taste) food for much cheaper.
  • They don't have anywhere to sit, they don't provide plasticware, they don't provide napkins, and they don't provide any condiments.  This is truly 100% self-sufficient beyond the meal itself.
  • You can't order there, there is no one to take your order.  You must order online.
  • I walk up to a window and say my name.  Someone hands it to me from a rack of completed meals.

The default in the app or the online menu is to add a 25% tip to the total.  You have to change it to remove it.  You can easily remove it, but you have to remove and not add it.  The 25% was to the final total, not even the pre-tax total.

In round numbers:

• $30 meal
  • $2 tax
  • $32 final meal
  • $8 tip
  • $40 final bill

I'm tipping for the privilege of what?  

Not a chance!!!!

The bottom line total on that bill for me would = me never eating there again.   

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The Shell station at Curry Ford and Crystal Lake is getting stocked with food so it shouldn't be long before that opens. Also F&D has a condemned sign on the windows and they are pulling the papers up behind Hourglass Brewing. So it doesn't seem like long before they're going to tear down the buildings.

The remodeled Shell station on Curry Ford has finally opened. I haven't been in. Just noticed it driving by today. It looked busy though!

On 2/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, NJBlake said:

Any news as to  what is going on with the new F&D location? It has been in the same state for months now. 

Speaking of this location does anyone know what the building closest to Curry Ford is going to be?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, angela1117 said:

The remodeled Shell station on Curry Ford has finally opened. I haven't been in. Just noticed it driving by today. It looked busy though!

Speaking of this location does anyone know what the building closest to Curry Ford is going to be?

Today might actually be the first day.  I was by about 2 days ago and it wasn't open.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:05 PM, angela1117 said:

We've all been speculating for about a year now.  There are 3 rumors (at least that I've read) guessing what it might be:

1.  Ghost kitchens (hopefully rotating) or basically food trucks minus the truck part
  2. An outdoor collaboration with local breweries for beer where you could sit outside (like Hourglass Brewing provided at the old location) and drink with food coming out to you from F&D
  3. A pickup only location where you could just drive up and grab To-Go options

I hope you were talking about the F&D news you quoted and not the Shell station.  I know nothing about the Shell except I see it when I go to La Fiesta.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

We've all been speculating for about a year now.  There are 3 rumors (at least that I've read) guessing what it might be:

1.  Ghost kitchens (hopefully rotating) or basically food trucks minus the truck part
  2. An outdoor collaboration with local breweries for beer where you could sit outside (like Hourglass Brewing provided at the old location) and drink with food coming out to you from F&D
  3. A pickup only location where you could just drive up and grab To-Go options

I hope you were talking about the F&D news you quoted and not the Shell station.  I know nothing about the Shell except I see it when I go to La Fiesta.

Yea Shell is open.  I just got gas there at lunch.  Curry Ford is completely closed at Peel though.  I suspect its to hook up the sewer to the new F&D buildings.  So progress maybe?

• 1 month later...