Hourglass District

sunshine

The first time we went to Peppino's the service SUCKED in all caps, but we enjoyed the food.  I read a reviews on Yelp and saw a lot of the same.  We were looking for something one night and read an updated review that said they had cleaned house on the servers.  We tried it again and had a great experience.  We've been back a couple more times and it has stayed on the good side.  Plus, every time we go the seating gets larger.  They keep adding space.

Our server one night was the manager and we were chatting about how bad our first visit was.  I actually called up the reviews on my phone and asked her about it.  She said the owner read the reviews and agreed.  She said it was true that they had cleaned house, getting rid of almost everyone.  The sad part for a new business is the question of how many people they probably turned off from coming back (thinking about OG's neighbors and AIR's experiences) who won't come back?

We dine out a lot and my general rule would be to give someone another shot if I have a bad experience. However, there are much better options in this genre within 10 minutes- Bruno, Tartini's and even Brick and Fire so I'll just go to one of those. My biggest knock on Peppino is calling themselves an "Organic Kitchen" and then not using organic ingredients... I know that doesn't matter to many, but it is deceptive and inexcusable to me.

BTW, my visit was after the cleaning house and my terrible server was the female manager you spoke to. She may have been having a bad night, but her treatment of customers (not us, but several others) and her treatment of other staff was not good.

I hated Bruno.  It was a long wait for extremely sub-par food, in my opinion.  My wife thought it was ok.  I do like Tartini's a lot.

I do not believe that Peppino's is going to be there long.  I enjoyed the food, but as AIR stated, I don't give a crap about organic vs. not organic.  That said, I do agree that if you put something in your name you should do it.  Much like the Puerto Rican chain called Martin's BBQ.  I went there and there wasn't a single BBQ item on the menu.  WHAT IN THE WORLD????

Yeah, I haven't even had the desire to go.  Are you a wood fired kitchen or an organic kitchen?  Are you a pizza place that serves italian food or an italian place that makes pizzas?  You really don't have a website?  And your facebook page just has a (badly) scanner copy of your menu?  If you open at 11, what's the deal with the half page of breakfast?

Basically everything just seems hastily tossed together, and the anecdotes of service seem to point in the same direction.  There's plenty of other places I've yet to try.  I'll get back to this one, if it's still around, one day...

1 hour ago, NJBlake said:

Don't bother with those when Italian house is right there and serves the most authentic "new york" style italian food in the area. That place does not get enough credit. 

I've been meaning to try their pizza.

Luigi's next to the Amscot at Curry Ford & Conway has good pizza too, if anyone is interested.

Bella Italia is good in the Conway/Michigan Plaza.   Service has been bad for me but we just order it to go now.

We also recently stumbled upon Stone Fire Pizza - sort of a hole in the wall on Hoffner between Orange and Hansel (which is Orange where it’s split).   We love all the food there.    

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh wow, I ate there when it really WAS a Pizza Hut.

The PH closed several years ago. Early 2,000's I think. Don't remember ever eating at that one.

The restaurant that's there now is the same one that moved in after PH closed and they've been there ever since, so it must be pretty good.

It was called "The Italian Pie House" for a long time, then they shortened it to "The Italian House" I suppose to reflect the fact that they have a full menu besides pizza.

• Like 2

I was chatting with AndyPok1 and It made me remember a solid pizza joint that, while out of the hourglass district by a ways, has spot on pizza and zeppoles. Pizzeria Roberti on Chickasaw Trail and Curry Ford. the guy is some chef from NY and they let the dough proof for like a whole day to get the flavors to really develop. 

on a side note, anyone see that we have a juice bike station now? (been a few weeks i know) 

2 hours ago, NJBlake said:

I was chatting with AndyPok1 and It made me remember a solid pizza joint that, while out of the hourglass district by a ways, has spot on pizza and zeppoles. Pizzeria Roberti on Chickasaw Trail and Curry Ford. the guy is some chef from NY and they let the dough proof for like a whole day to get the flavors to really develop. 

on a side note, anyone see that we have a juice bike station now? (been a few weeks i know) 

In front of Family Dollar?  Yep.  I follow the Curry Ford West district on facebook and they were pushing for it pretty big.  Funny is it coincided with the bike lane study launch.

2 hours ago, NJBlake said:

The guy who owns Pizzeria Roberti is a good guy.  We've eaten there a few times and loved it.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, HankStrong said:

The first time we went to Peppino's the service SUCKED in all caps, but we enjoyed the food.  I read a reviews on Yelp and saw a lot of the same.  We were looking for something one night and read an updated review that said they had cleaned house on the servers.  We tried it again and had a great experience.  We've been back a couple more times and it has stayed on the good side.  Plus, every time we go the seating gets larger.  They keep adding space.

Our server one night was the manager and we were chatting about how bad our first visit was.  I actually called up the reviews on my phone and asked her about it.  She said the owner read the reviews and agreed.  She said it was true that they had cleaned house, getting rid of almost everyone.  The sad part for a new business is the question of how many people they probably turned off from coming back (thinking about OG's neighbors and AIR's experiences) who won't come back?

Have been three times now, first time out of curiosity, subsequent visits with friends who  were also curious.

As of three days ago the staff issues have not been solved.  Indifferent at best; scatter-brained, forgetting customers, forgetting requests, etc. I don't know whether is it because the staff themselves are indifferent, poorly trained, poorly managed, or that there are too few of them, but it isn't working. On two of my three visits we saw three parties get up and leave while grousing about the poor service. Adding this to  other posts here it seems that this is the status quo and not an anomaly. It strikes me that ownership isn't particularly interested in actually running a restaurant properly. Perhaps it's really just a hobby for someone who is retired but wants to keep busy.

As for the food, the brick/wood-fired pizza is very, very good. You can really taste the difference that the imported flour, cheese, and olive oil makes. All else being equal I would keep coming back just for the pizza. But all isn't equal as a 12" pizza [their only size]  with pepperoni and Kalamata olives is $16. Add a soft drink or a beer, tax, and a 20% tip and that's almost $25 . That's just ridiculous. Il Pescatore's pizza - a different style but with ingredients every bit as high quality - is just as good and half that price.

As for the rest of the menu, it's basically Mama Leoni's Frozen Favorites plated up  with indifferent service and  high prices. We weren't even served bread.

If they can  get by selling pizza, both take-out and dine-in, and do a brisk bar service, they might make it. Otherwise, they won't be around for long without some significant changes.

Oh, and enough already with the yard sale and surplus correctional facility seating. McDonald's makes their seating hard and uncomfortable by design, to make you want to leave quickly. That IMO is not something restaurants like this should be emulating.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Oh, and enough already with the yard sale and surplus correctional facility seating. McDonald's makes their seating hard and uncomfortable by design, to make you want to leave quickly. That IMO is not something restaurants like this should be emulating.

Haha, I never heard that about McDonalds before, learn something new everyday. I always assumed the furniture design's goal was to prevent people from moving it and making the place look like a disaster. I know from my clubhouse in my community without someone to seat people, they manage to make it look like a hurricane came through even when its just like  2 people go through. I don't understand people sometimes (frequently)

I know when the HOA bought new pool furniture, it was recommended to buy the manufacturer to buy brown and dark colors only so people are less willing to touch it when its burning hot from the sun. Then they have to put a towel on it which protects it and are less likely to move it around as much.

Edited by aent

Survey said that 80% that use Curry Ford road west are not from the area. They lives in Avalon Park and are too cheap to pay tolls.  They dont stop for the business there.

Since they announced that it is only temporary, these commuters do not change their driving habits.

• Like 2