Hourglass District

sunshine

Mark, I know you do a lot of stories on health code violations so when they try to BS you in the future they don't get local and state inspections. The Orange Co DOH only does institutions like schools. Our UCF store gets inspected by them because we are on the land of an educational institution. Restaurants are certified by DBPR and they do all health inspections. They don't have a local vs state inspector. You get the local inspector based on geography.
It sounds like these people had no idea how to run a restaurant and just throw a bunch of BS excuses out that most people won't know aren't true.

I do wonder why this is even a restaurant if you can't wash dishes there. Feels like a complete miss by the developers.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2018 at 3:30 PM, AmIReal said:

I know several of us dissed Peppino's "Organic" Kitchen at Bumby and Curry Ford... well, looks like they are closed. Rumor is F&D Kitchen of Lake Mary is taking the space, but I have not been able to confirm that.

Scott J confirms:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4345-peppino-s-will-become-f-d-wood-fired-italian-kitchen

Thanks for the update, Spenser. I was hoping F&D would bring their original concept instead of another Italian place, but no such luck. I assume they will address all the issues Mark brought up such as the septic system. With them, Claddaugh, Cilantros, Foxtail and Legumanati, plus whatever brewpub opens across the street this is looking like a nice little enclave. Where will everyone park? People could bike there if only there were dedicated bike lanes.

Mark, do you know if the developer can "combine" seating of all the contiguous properties on the south side of curry ford to qualify for a full liquor license in those locations?

Shame to hear about the owners diagnosis... 

• Like 1

I was in the Winn-Dixie yesterday and they've got tons of pardon our dust signs, they have new shopping carts with cupholders, and the place was crawling with contractors with plans and a bunch of aisles were removed and being cleaned up.   Our Winn-Dixie is finally getting a clean-up and renovation!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, codypet said:

I was in the Winn-Dixie yesterday and they've got tons of pardon our dust signs, they have new shopping carts with cupholders, and the place was crawling with contractors with plans and a bunch of aisles were removed and being cleaned up.   Our Winn-Dixie is finally getting a clean-up and renovation!

Getting Better All the Time (TM)?

Now that I have to boycott Publix, this is probably as good as it's going to get in Curry Ford West. Thanks for the update!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe a good grocery store will replace the WD that closed recently in  Mariner's Village.

I would love a Spouts!

11 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Now that I have to boycott Publix, this is probably as good as it's going to get in Curry Ford West. Thanks for the update!

I will say, I took a Snapchat of one of the aisle that had been removed.  There was what looked like 30 years of caked on dirt and yuck under where the aisle was.   I know every grocery store is likely like that, but I have a hunch those aisles have been there longer than the average Publix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codypet said:

I would love a Spouts!

I will say, I took a Snapchat of one of the aisle that had been removed.  There was what looked like 30 years of caked on dirt and yuck under where the aisle was.   I know every grocery store is likely like that, but I have a hunch those aisles have been there longer than the average Publix.

That store was an A&P before it was a Winn-Dixie. That "Colonial-style" exterior would likely put it about late '60's to early '70's, I think.

Publix usually does a refresh on their stores internally every 5 years. It never seemed like Winn-Dixie did that as often which would explain  their reputation for often being grody.

10 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I dont think the Publix on curry ford and conway has ever been updated.

I know it was at least once when they added the teal and coral color scheme in the '80's (which was probably the last time I was in that store.)

I have noticed Publix blind spots, though. Most of the mid-80's format stores have long since moved or been enlarged (the Herndon Plaza store moving to Baldwin Park, for example), but the Kirkman Oaks store still screams, "I've been here since Cheers was 'must see TV!' "

Edited by spenser1058

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I know it was at least once when they added the teal and coral color scheme in the '80's (which was probably the last time I was in that store.)

I can understand that. Every time I go there they are out of what i need and the interesting item that is on BOGO. They actively make it difficult for me to shop there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJBlake said:

I can understand that. Every time I go there they are out of what i need and the interesting item that is on BOGO. They actively make it difficult for me to shop there. 

But rest assured the Publix Bakery is making sure you have nothing but pure thoughts when you order a cake!

http://www.wsav.com/news/local-news/south-carolina-news/sc-grad-s-cake-censored-by-publix/1192074563

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I dont think the Publix on curry ford and conway has ever been updated.

That store was demo'd and rebuilt in the early 90's.  Last update came in 2014.  My wife (gf) at the time lived at the Cornerstone apts and I stopped to pick up flowers after work one night and they had closed at 8pm because they were in the middle of doing renovations in the store.  A quick thing I noticed about Publix is they seem (not always) to be changing the color of the exterior sign around the time they do a renovation.   Current up to date Publix signs are like an olive green color.  If they're dark green or teal, they likely haven't been updated yet.   I don't know about Publix with white signs though.

image.thumb.png.10a2a777c8bf0da51083374aa5e92896.pngimage.thumb.png.041bacfdae2b837903748112f3d00a5e.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that's definitely a replacement store. The original was a winged version  that was inline with the rest of the shopping center.

Fun fact: my first crush in elementary school was on a boy whose dad owned a combination drug  (Rexall, I think) and Goodyear store there in Conway Plaza. Talk about an odd retail mix...

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Yep, that's definitely a replacement store. The original was a winged version  that was inline with the rest of the shopping center.

Fun fact: my first crush in elementary school was on a boy whose dad owned a combination drug  (Rexall, I think) and Goodyear store there in Conway Plaza. Talk about an odd retail mix...

The store in codypet's pics is the store at E. Colonial and Shine Ave.

This is the Conway and Curry Ford store...

Screenshot_20180522-104848_01.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

There was an outback takeout right next to the Publix that I never noticed until recently when I was looking for food .

It opened just a few months ago.  It was a Nationwide insurance before that.  Still curious if Dollar Tree that left this plaza makes its way over to the Walgreen's at Primrose and Curry Ford when the new Walgreen's opens.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

The store in codypet's pics is the store at E. Colonial and Shine Ave.

This is the Conway and Curry Ford store...

Screenshot_20180522-104848_01.png

Yes, I was highlighting the different color signs.  I couldn't find an older photo of the Curry Ford/Conway store.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

It opened just a few months ago.  It was a Nationwide insurance before that.  Still curious if Dollar Tree that left this plaza makes its way over to the Walgreen's at Primrose and Curry Ford when the new Walgreen's opens.

If you're talking about the space that's on the S. Conway side of Publix, back in the 90's it used to be a video rental place called American Video Network. I used to do the vinyl lettering on their huge, white backlit awnings. 

The owner would have the words "American Video Network" stacked in smaller text on the left side, then in the biggest red text he could get away with under local zoning codes, it would read... 

16,000 MOVIES!!!!

He eventually proved to be such competition for Blockbuster, they finally bought him out for millions. He was a real obnoxious jerk, too. Stereotypical New Jersey type.

5 hours ago, codypet said:

I would love a Spouts!

There is a Hispanic grocery chain called Fresco y Más which is owned by WD's parent company Southeast Grocers and which is expanding into the Orlando and Tampa markets.

From Orlando Weekly: Fresco y Más describes itself as "a neighborhood grocer that tailors its items and amenities to the neighborhood where it resides, all while keeping an authentic Hispanic shopping experience".

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/03/20/hispanic-grocery-store-fresco-y-mas-is-coming-to-orlando

I wonder if that's what will be going into the former WD @ Mariner's Village.

I'm just an old Souhern bubba whose native cuisine is Morrison's so I have no idea which of these might be best but there's also Publix Sabor and Sedano's (which is based in south Florida.) 

So, if the demographics support it, there's a few options for Hispanic-oriented grocers.

I did try Xtra (from Puerto Rico) back in the '80s. That store on 436 (University Park Plaza?) was the first superstore in town (other than the ill-fated Grand Way at Parkwood Plaza in the early '60's), predating Super Target and the Walmart Supercenters. I didn't recognize many of the brands so I only went once and it didn't stay in the market very long.

Meanwhile, I just go to Black Bean Cafe when I'm thinking Cuban.