2018 - Development Predictions

rjp212

Richmond definitely is on the upswing in terms of development, and I thought it would be fun to list our predictions for 2018.   So let us hear your hopes/dreams/insider knowledge for the new year!

I'll start with some easy ones:

- Developer announced for the Arena Redevelopment, but project won't start for years.

- New Apartments announced in Manchester, Scotts Addition and Shockoe.

Some hopes/dreams

- A high-rise hotel announced for Downtown.  Seems a Hotel Indigo would go great here.

- Grocery store announced for Manchester.  

- A Fortune 1000 corporate relocation to Richmond, hopefully leading to a new high-rise in Downtown.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Richmond definitely is on the upswing in terms of development, and I thought it would be fun to list our predictions for 2018.   So let us hear your hopes/dreams/insider knowledge for the new year!

I'll start with some easy ones:

- Developer announced for the Arena Redevelopment, but project won't start for years.

- New Apartments announced in Manchester, Scotts Addition and Shockoe.

Some hopes/dreams

- A high-rise hotel announced for Downtown.  Seems a Hotel Indigo would go great here.

- Grocery store announced for Manchester.  

- A Fortune 1000 corporate relocation to Richmond, hopefully leading to a new high-rise in Downtown.

South Reynolds is planning around a grocery store for the retail pad site, though not sure the status (was expecting around 2018 if I recall).

Hopefully the arena will come with that high-rise hotel :)

How about RIC expansion?

Curious to see what happens to the James Center -- it definitely needs a renovation.  Perhaps the new owners will dust off the expansion plans that were floated a decade ago.  Doubling the height of James Center III would be great.  The pentagon shaped lot to the south of it is a prime spot for a new tower.

In 2018, I would like to see some definitive plans for the Lumpkin's Slave Jail site/Slavery Museum.  One way or another, a decision needs to be made here.

While not strictly a development wish, I would like to see more cobblestone streets uncovered.

I’d like to see Union Bankshares expand so much that they would need a new home downtown and announce the building of a new iconic tower. 

I also want to see the state sell the Monroe Tower to a developer who will glass clad the tower and add a spire that will be shine in all kinds of colors at night. 

I want to see the two 16 story residential towers built in Manchester on the canal that have been envisioned. 

Uphoff’s tower...was it a bluff or will he build it?

I'd like to see something finally materialize on the boulevard (I know I'm probably asking to much). I'd like to hear an announcement about an expansion of pulse either to the airport and short pump or staples mill and down Jeff Davis. A new airline for RIC with flights west would also be a feasible goal. I'd like to see something big come from whichever developer is selected to redevelop the arena. I'd also like to see the 2 16 story towers near mayo bridge and possibly more apartments and retail built downtown to increase street presence. Finally, more work on improving the canal walk between the locks and Browns island to could do wonders for the riverfront.

Yall dreaming of new towers and everything but I am excited myself of seeing more parking lots eliminated with some great infill.

Predictions wise? I think a developer will take a chance on Monroe Ward and propose something and kick start a development boom around that area west of downtown where there are those huge parking lots. Rockett's Landing will continue announcing expansion southwards (while we keep dreaming for the day they start building up towards Stone to create a connection to Shockoe Bottom). 

Oh and obviously: VCU will keep announcing new buildings.

edit: and one more, and this would be the dream. A national retailer will lease a space downtown and it will encourage others to follow suit, thus bringing some good retail back to downtown (very needed I tell ya hwat)

Been on vacation so haven't been on the forum.

Predictions, hopes, dreams:

I'm really hoping that the pulse is successful and that it expands to the airport or another line added for a north-south route.

More and more infill, we have a lot of infill projects proposed around the city from Shockoe to Jackson Ward, I'm hoping these kick off soon, the denser we get as a city the more likely it is that we start seeing retail return to downtown and we start growing more vertical.

I'm also hoping/predicting that we'll snag a good company to move downtown

I'm also going to predict that there will be a much better regional approach to things around the city; not to get too political but with the new Henrico Board of Supervisors and the changes in state government we will probably see more attention given to urban areas and an increase in regional cooperation between the city and the counties which should be very good for growth.

Archived