markhollin

Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

I’m a huge fan of this project. The only thing I could want to make it better is another 10 stories to everything :). 16 story buildings running along west end with a 30 foot tower punctuating it would look even better. Not complaining though! 

• Like 3

The view of Vanderbilt University from West End Avenue will soon receive a facelift — at a cost of an estimated $600 million.

The brown brick Carmichael Towers will be demolished. In their place, new living space will be built that university officials believe will better reflect the school's character....

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2018/01/22/vanderbilts-600-million-capital-project-change-face-west-end-avenue/1044469001/

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 7.13.30 AM.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Very handsome, heirloom additions to the Nashville fabric / West End corridor. Excited by timeless designs that should weather well and benefit generations to come. Wish I could say that about most developments.

I wish I could say that about most universities.

• Like 3

^^For those with knowledge of this kind of thing...why wouldn't they just go ahead and implode those 3 buildings instead of taking them down floor by floor?

• Like 1

I don't know for sure, but I believe a lot of environmental factors are considered in demolition. There are a lot of adjacent buildings around the towers. Plus, there may be a lot of asbestos that's hard to remove before implosion. I know the core stairwells have lots of piping wrapped in asbestos. And I believe we all had low-pile carpet, but maybe there are asbestos tiles under them. I really cannot remember. 

• Like 3

It has been described as a "residential tower" in VU pubs. 

I seem to recall some academic space included in one of the write-ups but can't be sure. 

Starting to dig.

Looking north from 25th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of West End Ave:

Vandy Tower, Mar 30, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking NE from 25th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of West End Ave:

Vandy Tower, Mar 30, 2018, 2.jpg

• Like 4