Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

markhollin

• 4 weeks later...

The view of Vanderbilt University from West End Avenue will soon receive a facelift — at a cost of an estimated $600 million.

The brown brick Carmichael Towers will be demolished. In their place, new living space will be built that university officials believe will better reflect the school's character....

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2018/01/22/vanderbilts-600-million-capital-project-change-face-west-end-avenue/1044469001/

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 7.13.30 AM.png

• Like 2

Fencing up, trees down, small buildings being razed.

Looking SW from West End Ave. 1/2 block east of 25th Ave. South:

Vandy Tower, Jan 23, 2018, 1.jpg

Peeking through fencing along West End Ave. looking SW. The two story structure should be scraped in a matter of days. 

Vandy Tower, Jan 23, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking SW along West End Ave towards 25th Ave. South:

Vandy Tower, Jan 23, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Very handsome, heirloom additions to the Nashville fabric / West End corridor. Excited by timeless designs that should weather well and benefit generations to come. Wish I could say that about most developments.

I wish I could say that about most universities.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know for sure, but I believe a lot of environmental factors are considered in demolition. There are a lot of adjacent buildings around the towers. Plus, there may be a lot of asbestos that's hard to remove before implosion. I know the core stairwells have lots of piping wrapped in asbestos. And I believe we all had low-pile carpet, but maybe there are asbestos tiles under them. I really cannot remember. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...