Vanderbilt University Tower and West End Dorms, 20 stories/6 stories, 340 units

markhollin

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine 5 times this, and you have the new west end campus addition at 25th Avenue. Does anyone know of a construction cam for that? 

vandybarnard_evocam.jpg

Now what to do about that $#!++% single story retail strip across West End Avenue. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Imagine 5 times this, and you have the new west end campus addition at 25th Avenue. Does anyone know of a construction cam for that? 

vandybarnard_evocam.jpg

Now what to do about that $#!++% single story retail strip across West End Avenue. 

That was the site of a proposed highrise residential project, 5 years ago. Probably just wait a few years and it will probably "take care of itself" 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Thanks! I’ve been lurking for many years, finally decided to join. 

Yes...Welcome aboard, downtownresident!  Hope you can make it out to one of our Monthly Meet-Ups.  We always gather at 10 AM on the first Saturday of each month at Luna Llena Taqueria at NW corner of James Robertson Parkway and 3rd Ave. North.   Watch the thread for the meetings as it gets updated the week before each get-together with topics for discussion, etc. 

Excavation is nearly complete at about 20' depth.  Tower crane in place.

Looking north from 25th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of West End Ave:

Vandy Tower, July 22, 2018, 1jpg.jpg

Looking NE from 25th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of West End Ave:

Vandy Tower, July 22, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking NE from parking lot behind Barnes & Noble along 25th Ave. South:

Vandy Tower, July 22, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Will said:

I heard recently that the University Club on Vandy's campus will be closing down at the end of the year. Not sure if it's for renovations or for something new. Maybe someone with Vandy connections could investigate.

Univ Club of Nashville-Newsletter-2018-10.pdf

The details are in their October newsletter.  Looks like they're closing for one year while VU does something to find them another home.  Nashville City Club and a club at the Aertson (I didn't know there was a club there) are rolling out the carpet for University Club members.  The newsletter isn't 100% clear.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about construction techniques... but I think the placement of the crane at the Vanderbilt dorms site would be too far away from the location of the 20-story tower. Could we see a second tower crane somewhere between the western tower and the fraternities (Pike house)?  I think it will be rising where the sloped driveway is. Also, why was the sorority house (I think Gamma Phi) demolished? I don't recall the plan showing all new Greeks.

Edited by MLBrumby

On 10/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, MLBrumby said:

I don't know much about construction techniques... but I think the placement of the crane at the Vanderbilt dorms site would be too far away from the location of the 20-story tower. Could we see a second tower crane somewhere between the western tower and the fraternities (Pike house)?  I think it will be rising where the sloped driveway is. Also, why was the sorority house (I think Gamma Phi) demolished? I don't recall the plan showing all new Greeks.

Looks like that is a crane base. 

image.png

• Like 3

On 10/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, MLBrumby said:

Also, why was the sorority house (I think Gamma Phi) demolished? I don't recall the plan showing all new Greeks.

Based on student input this spring, the greek row phases were expedited by eighteen months. Lambda Chi Alpha house was demolished and will be replaced with a new house for Zeta Tau Alpha and one for NPHC as they have been using the old Phi Delta Theta house. These should be finished next summer.

• Thanks 2