Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

Who Are Your City's Best and Worst Mayors?

Who Are Your City's Best and Worst Mayors?

Just curious.

Links to lists of mayors for your city are welcome too.

ATL Best and Worst:

Best: William B. Hartsfield

Worst: Bill Campbell

Pittsburgh has David L. Lawrence who ruled city hall from 1934 to his death in 1966 (Mayor from 1946 to 1959) and was Pa. Governor from 1959-1963 (back when you could only serve one term). His autobiography is "Don't Call me Boss" . . . which tells you that although a benevolent ruler he was an old party machine boss.

Lawrence was voted one of the top ten Big City Mayors of the 20th century with such luminaries as LaGuardia and Bradley in LA.

Here is the link comparing him with the best of the best:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/h/holli-mayor.html

Lawrence a die hard Democrat and an Irish Catholic was Pennsylvania's chairman to the Democratic National Convention for close to 40 years and was influential in having the party select Harry Truman as the heir to be for FDR and in picking JFK, it is rumored that he was solely responsible for having JFK choose LBJ as Veep. He was also instrumental in FDR's ascension in the party. So his influence was almost like that of a Guiliani or Howard Dean of today in party politics.

Here is a link on Mayor Lawrence's back room dealings at the 1944 Democratic Convention to move Wallace out of the way and nominate Harry Truman: (how history might have been different if not for Lawrence).

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/oralhist/lawrencedl.htm

Oh yeah worst.

Well again I present this link to help out the 10 best and 10 worst overall in America:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:jQeVm...2+-center&hl=en

Probably the worst ever in Pittsburgh was Mayor Barker who was elected right before the civil war, he was impeached and arrested and then got out and basically started his own "police force" which fought street battles with the Pittsburgh Police under the newly appointed mayor (the police were just as divided with many going back and forth as a bureaucrat might go back and forth between politicans).

In recent times the worst in Pittsburgh had to be Mayor McNair who was in office in the early 1930s, he bascially filibuster city council and then barracaded himself in city hall as council passed a resolution for his arrest warrant, he eventually gave up and sat out in jail until his impeachment was over.

Murphy the Mayor just leaving office is currently under a Federal probe for possible violations of election laws in the 2001 mayoral race.

Although by no means a "big city" during the eras that those experts use, ATL's Hartsfield should be ranked in the Top 10-20 big city mayors.

He helped establish the ATL airport and the rest of modern ATL.

Pittsburgh's worst (as you listed them) are pretty laughable at what they did.

Ironically, Detroit, the only city on that link's list to have two mayors in the top 10 best, has had its current mayor ranked as one of this years worst by TIME Magazine.

Providence's last mayor, Vincent (Buddy) Cianci, is in federal prison now on racketeering conspiracy. Despite his corruption, a lot of people love him since he supposedly led Providence through its rennaissance...

I guess this would make him one of the best and worst mayors, depending on what you think of him.

Yeah I heard about that guy, 48 Hours or Primetime had a big show on him and interviewed alot of Providence citizens out on the street.

Reminds me a lot of a Pennsylvania Mayor that made that NYT "10 Worst List" Philly's Frank Rizzo in the 1970s. There are huge numbers of people that love that guy and think he was the best thing ever for Philadelphia, three ring circus and all.

best: phil bredison (although i do like bill purcell a lot)

worst: bill boner (the name is just a joke waiting to happen, and didn't he play the harmonica on the geraldo show or something?)

Hmmm, well we're from Detroit and presently Kwame takes the cake as being the worst . I always appreciated Dennis Archer, but he had enough. I only hope the corruption can be kept to a minimum with the election nearing- if people vote. Now Coleman Young made the art of corruption a science and never got caught. I should post a transcript of an interview he did back in about 1991 for Primetime Live. You'd be amazed.

Will from DetroitBazaar

PS, another who has perfected corruption is Mayor Daley of Chicago, taking after his dady-o. I'm convinced there are "people" who vote there that do not exist. :)

Nashville

The best.. Phil Bredison thanks for the titans, dell and preds even if there on stike

The worst.....havent been there that long.....

Chicago the best Harold Washington

The worst jane barnes...

Atlanta....

The best .. Andrew Jackson

The worst Shirley Frankin....

Best: Marta Suplicy, worst Paulo Maluf - he robbed 350 billion dollars from the taxes hardly paid by the citizens and sent them to his account in Switzerland!!!! :cry::angry:

it's always off to Switzerland isn't it. lol

I was reading that NYT article I linked and one of the worst 10 in American History Mayor Jimmy Walker of NYC hopped a flight to Europe (probably even Switzerland) with a call girl the day before he was to be indicted by then Governor FDR.

Its always Switzerland lol

I'll weight in for Philadelphia. You can still experience the thrill of the worst mayor if you come now for he still sits in City Hall. His name is John Street. Bar none, he is the worst. Many thought you could not get worst than Frank Rizzo, then along came Wilson Goode. Many thought the same about him and then along came John Street. Notice a trend? To find the best mayor in Philadelphia you'd have to go back a half a century to 1952-1956 to get one. His name was Joseph Clark.