HOPES, WISHES, AND PREDICTIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR

smeagolsfree

Hey folks,

I just wanted to have a little fun on the forum. Just list what your dream, Hope, or Wish is for Nashville in the New Year. Keep it with in reason.

My Hope is the Mass Transit referendum is passed.

My wish is for a 750' or greater tower is announced downtown.

I am not a fortune teller and this past year had surprises like the MLS team we could not have imagined this time last year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hopes are for another 3-5 projects of 25+ stories being announced for the urban core, continued large amounts of residential projects announced (anything from the property splits to turn one house on the corner into 3 or 4 to the huge apartment projects), and another large corporate relocation to Nashville. 

My wish is that another airline would upgrade BNA to hub or focus city status and the resulting competition leads to more convenience and options at a lower price for Nashville travelers. That, and as @jmtunafish also wished, more international flights. 

What you said, Ron, also....

I would add hope for the start of the 120 Second Ave, 40 story/550 ft Condo Tower and ONE KVB Circle - 30 story/450 Ft (my guess) tower.

I wish for a new tall in the Midtown district.

I dream  that the the charm and character of Nashville is never lost with all the new development and changes. I fear the worst as I see neighborhoods being renamed, Nashville's history being forgotten including its' impact on the Civil Rights Movement. The Nashville brand is evolving, but we need to keep the core values of a unique, unapologetic, slightly sassy city afraid of nothing and one that has no inferiority complex or envy of any other city.

Because, "We are Nashville".

I wish for the preservation of our cultural heritage, for the Titans offense to fulfill its potential, and for the continued growth and general improvement of the town, including sidewalks, high urban survivability trees, mass transit, taller, more stylish buildings, more and larger corporate relocations, and a continuation of our status as the "it" city.

My wishes are another major corporate relocation, google to build an office in Nashville (or another tech company), more international flights and interest by airlines both domestic and international, and a 750+ foot building announced downtown (and eventually come to fruition). 

my predictions are amazon chooses Nashville (I’m not kidding either), more hotels and infill is built, and four seasons adds on to the second avenue project. I also predict and hope that the trolley barns project fall through and someone else eventually develops it.

My Hopes:

1. Transit passes and actually gets going with real plans and movement.

2. The 6 months of turmoil at the airport winds down and that the public overwhelming supports the BA flight to London by buying tickets.

3. 5th and Broad and Nashville Yards maintain financial stability and begin construction.

4. We see some type of movement on the West End Summit site.

My Dreams:

1. A new tallest is proposed downtown.

2.  Lenders open up the financing spigot for condos and we see the return of large-scale owner occupied high rise proposals downtown.

3. A high profile corporate relocation is announced that sparks the development of an office building, hotel, retail, and residential on the East Bank development.

My Predictions:

1. 2018 will bring an announcement by an international low cost carrier for additional trans-Atlantic air service.

2. The opening and/or construction of several downtown hotels will lead to the announcement of several larger and more prominent conventions and events in Nashville.

I agree with most of the other posts above.  Here are some additional ideas...

My Hopes:

- Musica Roundabout Fountains get fully funded and underway.
-Comfort Inn and the other motel planned near 14th and 15th Aves North get underway and jump start more development in that dilapidated neighborhood.
-Proposed 21 story boutique hotel at McGavock and 13th Ave. South gets approved by MDHA.
-City begins long-range plans for retractable roof football stadium on PSC Metals site.
-If the House of Blues project along 1st Ave. South gets approved, that it will be all brick and fit wonderfully into the feel of the neighborhood.
-The Stockyards Apartments project gets rejuvenated and underway.
-Germantown Union development gets financed and started.
-Platinum Hospitality finally announces their plans for a couple towers at SE corner of KVB and 6th Ave. South.

My Dreams:

-The beautiful old home on the Rudy Law site can somehow be relocated to Marathon Village.
-Vanderbilt Univ. begins releasing plans for all the land they have accumulated along Broadway and 21st Ave. South.
-Large hotelier buys land at NW corner of 8th Ave. South and Demonbreun and plans 30-40 story tower.
-Some version of the World Hotel (at least 35 stories) gets announced for SW corner of KVB and Hermitage Ave.
-The parking lot at NE corner of 4th AVe. South and Symphony Place gets developed into a minimum 35 story beauty.
-Someday the large lot along east side of Bicentennial Mall just south of new State Library/Archives (between 5th and 6th Aves North) will be developed into a new Natural History Museum or Center of Science and Industry.
- The family that owns the Nuehoff Plant can get their *stuff* together and finally get that site revitalized--so much potential. 

My Predictions:

-News begins to percolate around the NES property between Church St. and Charlotte Ave.
-Gulch Pedestrian Bridge gets underway, and spurs more land development on both sides of the tracks.
-Tony G. announces his next big project, either for lot across from 505 CST, or western edge of Music City Circle.
-One KVB Circle stimulates more development along Lafayette, including great offers for Shelby Smith's properties.
-Mark Bloom finally announces plans for minimum 15 story luxury brand hotel on his site at SW corner of Peabody and 2nd Ave. South.
-The Cumulus property at SE corner of 2nd Ave. and Peabody goes up for sale.
-The Mass Transit Plan passes, but their will be modifications.
-The Cloud Hill Greer Stadium redevelopment plan will move forward, but with some changes. 

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

I agree with most of the other posts above.  Here are some additional ideas...

My Hopes:

- Musica Roundabout Fountains get fully funded and underway.
-City begins long-range plans for retractable roof football stadium on PSC Metals site.

My Dreams:

-Vanderbilt Univ. begins releasing plans for all the land they have accumulated along Broadway and 21st Ave. South.
-Someday the large lot along east side of Bicentennial Mall just south of new State Library/Archives (between 5th and 6th Aves North) will be developed into a new Natural History Museum or Center of Science and Industry.

My Predictions:

-The Mass Transit Plan passes, but their will be modifications.

All of what you said, especially these  ^^^^^^^^^I like the towers, but appreciate the things that make a better community also.

I would imagine they would want to keep stadium talk very quiet for a few years and let the MLS Stadium and Transit plans settle in.  

I share many of the dreams, wishes, etc . of most of what I've read.   let me add that I'd also like to see more development in the Fisk, Meharry and TSU area to fulfill the idea of creating a university center type atmosphere.  TSU has announced they will build two new dorms and one possibly two new academic facilities.  I hope all have architectural interest and liven up the area.  While on the subject of TSU, I'd like to see the university announce that they plan to build a new on-campus stadium and that TSU athletics is going to pursue moving up to FBS football in a few years.  Academically, I hope there is announcement of a new college at TSU that is either related to law, pharmaceutical science or technology. 

I hope that discussions to develop West Trinity Lane become fruition and that Bordeaux also sees new development along Clarksville Pike near the MLK Bridge and along the river. 

Titans rejuvenate fan support by at least making it past the wild card game.

Predators return to the Stanley Cup and win.

Finally, as a Nashville native living in the DC Metro area, I hope that Nashville remains a positive topic of discussion where ever I go.  I so enjoy bragging about my home town.  It's also refreshing for Nashville to be recognized beyond a small country town.  If it becomes a country metropolis I'm good with that.  But I know Nashville is and can continue to be more than a country music mecca.  So, I hope culturally the city keeps expanding in terms of the visual arts, and variety of entertainment.

Oh, I forgot one other wish... An announcement of a major theme park in the area.  I wish Universal Studios, Disney, Six Flags or Busch Gardens would announce something new and exciting for the Nashville area.

3 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Oh, I forgot one other wish... An announcement of a major theme park in the area.  I wish Universal Studios, Disney, Six Flags or Busch Gardens would announce something new and exciting for the Nashville area.

Absolutely!  I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I will never forgive Gaylord for shutting down Opryland.  I would give my right ear to have a theme park in Nashville that not only has awesome rides but that celebrates Nashville's unparalleled music industry.  I was never more proud than when I was when I was back in  France one year and ran across people who had been to Nashville and raved about going to Opryland.  For the price of a concert ticket, they got to spend an entire day wandering from show to show at Opryland.  They couldn't care less about the rides.  There was more musical talent in those 120 acres than in many small countries.

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Absolutely!  I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I will never forgive Gaylord for shutting down Opryland.  I would give my right ear to have a theme park in Nashville that not only has awesome rides but that celebrates Nashville's unparalleled music industry.  I was never more proud than when I was when I was back in  France one year and ran across people who had been to Nashville and raved about going to Opryland.  For the price of a concert ticket, they got to spend an entire day wandering from show to show at Opryland.  They couldn't care less about the rides.  There was more musical talent in those 120 acres than in many small countries.

Absolutely. It was all about the music. Then somewhere along the line, they lost sight of what they were all about and tried to become another six flags.

And I might add, the food was great, also. I managed several restaurants in the first four years I worked there and am a little biased, but there was a good variety

29 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Absolutely. It was all about the music. Then somewhere along the line, they lost sight of what they were all about and tried to become another six flags.

And I might add, the food was great, also. I managed several restaurants in the first four years I worked there and am a little biased, but there was a good variety

The food!  My favorite was the Mexican place over by the Grizzly River Rampage which, unfortunately, switched to a bbq place a few years before Opryland closed.  My very first French Dip sandwich was at a place in the New Orleans section.  And there was the pizza place by the Rockin' Roller Coaster.  Geez it's been over 20 years and I still remember the food places almost as well as I remember the rides.

And as far as the rides go, I was perfectly happy with the selection they had although I wish they had built a big wooden roller coaster instead of the Screamin' Delta Demon but it's all a moot point now.  I even liked the Angle Inn (aka the "Tiltin' Hilton") which was near the Tin Lizzies.  There was nothing better on a hot Tennessee summer day than to get soaking wet at the Grizzly River Rampage then dry off on the Tennessee Waltz.  Dang I'm getting all emotional now.  Stupid Gaylord.

I worked primarily on the Country Bumpkin Bumper Car ride while at Opryland, but I also operated practically all the other rides  that were there in '78 and '79 including the Wabash Cannonball, the Tennessee Waltz, Flume Zoom, Barnstormer and even all the kiddie rides.  

The reason I added an amusement park to my list is because I think Nashville needs more family and youth oriented activities.  Opryland was a big attraction for young and old because of its mix of rides and entertainment.  Most parks today have gotten away from the entertainment unless it's incorporated into a ride.  However, several of the amusement parks offer a concert series that help with attendance.  And, just about all of them have theme events for Halloween and Christmas (even in the colder climates).  Those events increase tourism, but they also give locals activities to participate in as well.

^ ^ ^ I agree 100%.  As Nashville's tourism star continues to rise and shine, we need to find additional family-oriented attractions.   Things like:

1) A quality amusement park--hopefully with the music theme that Opryland used to have that helps cement our city's branding.

2) A strong Civil War Museum.  Since Nashville was part of the Union for most of the conflict, we are actually in a unique location to appeal to both northern and southern war aficianados, and could give extra perspective on both sides of the war. I have always felt that the Adventure Science Center would be the perfect spot for this, so it could all be tied-in with Ft. Negely.  There could be a creative trade done with the state to give them that building and the fort grounds in exchange for....

3) A new Center of Science and Industry in a classic looking building as part of the Bicentennial Mall.  Located just to the south of the U.C. State Library andArchives along the east side of 7th Ave. North, between the park and the baseball stadium.  Could have an additional parking garage as part of the mix to further serve the stadium during game nights and other events at the stadium.  The Center could be a joint effort between the city, state, and some other private entities. No reason it couldn't become a big attraction like the one in Chicago or Columbus, OH.  

4) A Natural History Museum along the mall would be great, too.

5) A few more top-notch music museums, specifically Gospel Music Hall of Fame, Guitarists Hall of Fame, Drummers Hall of Fame, and Songwriters Hall of Fame come to mind.  Also, I could see smaller attractions that Bill Miller excels at like museums for Elvis Presley,  Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson,  etc. Also a Recording Studio Museum. 

6) Another Riverboat, and perhaps a museum honoring the glory days of river travel. 

7) The huge ferris wheel near Nissan Stadium that is being proposed should move forward.

8) Further expansion and marketing efforts for Nashville Shores Water Park.

My hopes:

1. Light Rail.
  2. More density and less flat roofs.
  3. Taller than 20-25 floor buildings in SoBro (the height restriction is stupid).
  4. Another International non-stop flight to Asia, Mexico, or Europe.

My wishes:

1. Reconstruction of major interstate interchanges (I-24, 40, & 440 comes to mind).
  2. Expanded Music City Star services
  3. More creativity with designs and less "cookie cutter" architecture.
  4. Beat the hell out of Raleigh and Austin in every single ranking conceivable. (Raleigh is just a GIANT suburb-like city and Austin...it's in Texas and that's all that needs to be said).

My predictions:

I don't do predictions.

Happy 2018 friends!!

9 hours ago, mwill18 said:

Biggest Dream:

- Interstate caps atop 40/65 on the west loop - Parks, shopping, transit stations on top (Similar to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas)

DC is doing the same over I-395.  Except they are building more residential and office buildings above it.  There were already sections of I-395 that was in a tunnel, but by the time this project to restore land above I-395 is complete, pretty much all of the eastern portion of it through DC will be underground.  I can't remember the acreage they are creating, but it is substantial.  I'd like to see Nashville do that along the I-40 stretch that arches to the north of Jefferson Street between 21st Ave. N and  16th Ave.  N if your traveling eastbound.  It would reconnect many of the streets that were cut off and recreate the grid in that area and allow for newer development that has been limited due to I-40.

I also wanted to add to my wish list that Beaman and any other car dealer with a big lot along Broadway and surrounding streets sell their property to developers so that the area can be transformed to a more appealing commercial, residential and shopping district.  I also think it would be good area for an urban shopping complex with a Target, one of the newer urban Home Depot stores (there about half the size of a traditional HD), TJ Max, Home Goods, a fitness center, a grocery store and a blend of other locally owned and national based retail stores and restaurants.  The complex could also include movie theaters. 

• 1 month later...
On 2018/1/2 at 4:55 AM, Binbin98 said:

My wishes are another major corporate relocation, google to build an office in Nashville (or another tech company), more international flights and interest by airlines both domestic and international, and a 750+ foot building announced downtown (and eventually come to fruition). 

my predictions are amazon chooses Nashville (I’m not kidding either), more hotels and infill is built, and four seasons adds on to the second avenue project. I also predict and hope that the trolley barns project fall through and someone else eventually develops it.

well so far the last prediction i had happened, I'm 95% sure the four seasons one will be announced this year, and I am obviously not too sure about Amazon, but if I were them I would find Nashville surprisingly enticing. Sure it is not a big city with a large transportation system or hub airport, but I feel like with as large as a company as amazon, Nashville ranks high in everything they are looking for in general and Bezos could literally integrate amazon into the fabric of the city and become what Nashville will be known for forever. Specifically, the transportation system, airport, river north, amongst other things could all be centered around/constructed for Amazon as a company and their employees' convenience and accessibility, while also allowing them to enjoy just living in Nashville with a seriously high quality of life compared to other cities on the list (honestly only Boston, Austin, Denver, and Raleigh really strike me as having a possibly better quality of living than Nashville currently). Anyways it is just my musings, but still this could be a huge oppurtunity for Amazon and the city as a whole. But lets see if my prediction comes right even though at first i bet against nashville lol

Archived