Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, spenser1058 said:

The More You Know... More AAC players were selected last year for the NFL draft than from the Big 12.

POWER6 IS REAL

Do you remember the movie "Starship Troopers" back in 1997 or so?  As the movie played, they would show government commercials intermittently giving certain info and ending each time with the slogan "Do you want to know more"...

21 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Andre Ware went to Uh (Houston), an AAC team oddly enough.  And that article from El Herald posted a few days ago here, was written by a UCF grad. Am ju sayin'

Heck, looks like ain't nobody gettin' no respect this week: only a 4-point spread for UCF over Memphis (they lost to Tulane, for God's sake) and only a 7-point spread between UF and Vandy. I mean, Vandy's having a good year, but still.

Anyway, it may all get decided on the field: UCF back to the Peach Bowl vs... the Gators!?!

Charge On!

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Heck, looks like ain't nobody gettin' no respect this week: only a 4-point spread for UCF over Memphis (they lost to Tulane, for God's sake) and only a 7-point spread between UF and Vandy. I mean, Vandy's having a good year, but still.

Anyway, it may all get decided on the field: UCF back to the Peach Bowl vs... the Gators!?!

Charge On!

yeah, it's the 'ole trap game dynamic for dem gaterz.  Big win over LSU and they're thinking letdown this Saturday.  Vandy played ND tough in South Bend a few weeks back, so they are thinking upset.  Before the season began, if UF beat Vandy, that would be considered an upset...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

jrs2: Resistance Is Futile -You Will Be Assimilated..... *giggles*

Listen here, Lucutus of Borg, you misunderstand me.  LOL.

Orange & Blue runs through my veins, as you know.  However, UCF is the local team and I root for them in most all their games they play.  I am happy to see UCF advance in all aspects of academics and sports...I really am.  

Even in  questionable allegiance games (vs SEC teams), as in last year, I actually rooted for them against Auburn.  I'm not phishing for likes; I really did.  It was cool to see them on that big stage. 

I also rooted for them against Baylor with Ba-la-kay at QB.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, USF pulled it out 25-24 to remain undefeated but it took until late in the 4th quarter to do it and against Tulsa. 

Since  the Golden Hurricane is one of the weakest teams in the AAC, the Bulls are hardly going to be helping with our SOS argument.

Even when we want the Bulls to win, they disappoint. *sigh*

There they go again - CBS Sports is predicting this week that Notre Dame will get the #4 CFP spot.  This is the same Notre Dame that squeaked past Pitt by 5 in the 4th quarter just a couple of weeks after we blew Pitt away. 

I'm fine with ND going to the playoffs but it's funny when a team like that is automatically considered to be a contender but we don't even make the conversation.

It's like FOX News: Fair and Balanced, right?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There they go again - CBS Sports is predicting this week that Notre Dame will get the #4 CFP spot.  This is the same Notre Dame that squeaked past Pitt by 5 in the 4th quarter just a couple of weeks after we blew Pitt away. 

I'm fine with ND going to the playoffs but it's funny when a team like that is automatically considered to be a contender but we don't even make the conversation.

It's like FOX News: Fair and Balanced, right?

It's  the Ron Powless syndrome.  You don't even have to play a down at ND and they'll crown you with the Heisman.  I really don't like them.  

On 10/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Gators took a bit to warm up today and tried a new strategy - letting the coaches battle it out on the field. By the end of the game, though, it was a kumbaya moment with hugs all around and the Gators take home the win 37-27.

That WWE suplex move Joseph put on the Vandy player was so out of line.  Why do I say that? Because he should've saved it for FSU.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, spenser1058 said:

Your Hometown National Champions make it 19 in a row by the hair of their chinny chin chins 31-30 and remain undefeated. Memphis made the Knights really work for it.

Charge On! (after my heart starts again)

In all fairness, in football you sometimes win and sometimes the other team just loses.  UCF came *charging* back in the 2nd half, but that last second collapse was all on Memphis and had almost nothing to do with UCF.  At the end of the day, a W is all that matters.

• Like 2

UCF missed a prime opportunity to really jump up in the polls by making a decent showing in a week where there were several upsets. Playing down to the competition and squeaking by Memphis really hurt them and could be the difference on them missing the playoff once again. Sure, they won on the road, but UCF can't afford to give the "pundits" an excuse to point to with their weaker schedule even if they run the table. Lots of the P5 conference loudmouths are looking for an excuse to point to, and squeaking by teams they need to beat convincingly is not going to help them jump up the rankings. OTOH, the SEC is beating each other up this year, so 2 teams making the playoff from them is unlikely, but I would like to see UCF make some statement wins against their opponents so that the folks trying to hold them back from playing for the championship can't justifiably point to less impressive credentials. I think last year's team was better than this year's UCF team and deserved a shot. This year I have not seen as much showing that they can really prove their worth. It's a shame the UNC game got canceled and the other OOC teams they play just aren't that great, but they need to be mopping up on AAC and easier opponents to make a statement to the polls and the ranking system. 

Edited by dcluley98

As 24/7 notes, when you compare how UCF plays teams like Pitt or SMU compared to P5 teams, we look pretty good. It's all about perception - for example, did you know that Georgia's schedule prior to LSU did not any include any winning programs this year (and when they hit a winning team in LSU, look how that went...)? Or that Alabama was not playing any Top 25 teams early in the season. Now, both Georgia and the Tide are great teams, there's no question. But they are not infallible. Did you know that the last time we played Auburn, we won? Or that the last time we played Georgia, we won? Or that the only time we played Alabama, we won?

All we ask is to inject objectivity into the process.

https://247sports.com/Article/UCF-Knights-College-Football-Playoff-transitive-property-argument-123400585/

Edited by spenser1058

Oh, I know that the Knights compare favorably cross schedule. I also know that the P5 are going to use any excuse to try to keep them out, which sucks. UCF has to play even better than other P5 teams throughout the whole season just to have a shot because the powers that be are actively trying to rig the system against them and propagandizing the case for only their teams to get in. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, spenser1058 said:

Could the Gators take back the SEC East after all these years? LSU is sure trying to make it so with a 16-0 lead over Georgia at the half. Stay tuned...

Rhetorical...I don't know.  LSU whipped up on UGA with solid line play etc.  Did that wake UGA up, or ae they not that good?  We'll find out in two weeks.  But I still don't know how good UF is b/c their pass rush never got a sack for most of the game against Vandy.  Is Vandy that good having played ND toe to toe?  What will UF do against UGA?  I don't know.  I can only assume Mullen will keep them playing consistently.  The week off this week might have been more important to UF then we realize b/c the new workout routine Mullen has placed them on might be wearing on them.

Bad INT at the goal line at beginning of Vandy game that gave Vandy momentum.  If UF was up 7-0 it would've been a different story.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Rhetorical...I don't know.  LSU whipped up on UGA with solid line play etc.  Did that wake UGA up, or ae they not that good?  We'll find out in two weeks.  But I still don't know how good UF is b/c their pass rush never got a sack for most of the game against Vandy.  Is Vandy that good having played ND toe to toe?  What will UF do against UGA?  I don't know.  I can only assume Mullen will keep them playing consistently.  The week off this week might have been more important to UF then we realize b/c the new workout routine Mullen has placed them on might be wearing on them.

Bad INT at the goal line at beginning of Vandy game that gave Vandy momentum.  If UF was up 7-0 it would've been a different story.

I really like Coach Mullen - he really seems to be a great fit in G'ville and God knows he can develop talent. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Meanwhile, the poor old 'Cocks are settling back into their usual mediocrity. They're another sportswriters' meme about becoming the next big thing and it never happens, despite high-powered talent like Lou Holtz and the Head Ball Coach. It seems once an idea is popular among the scribes, it has a half-life akin to uranium. No wonder UCF can't get traction.