Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

Meanwhile, UCF hoops beats Cal State -Fullerton (really?) 68-52. Much hay has been made about Danny White declining to have the Knights' football team running all over the country for SOS games and in the process killing the local fan base. The SEC insists if we do that we could be as successful as Boise States a few years back when they did that (how many national championships has Boise State ever played for? Hint: <1.)

Anyway, UCF hoops apparently likes ESPN's attention enough to play a mid-morning game on a Thursday. Hmmmm....

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

UF is going for that all-important strength of schedule this weekend by playing, ummmm, Idaho. Not the actually decent team up there, Boise State, the other one. (The Tide is playing another powerhouse- The Citadel.)

They're following that up with the unranked and totally unimpressive FSU. What's that? They had no way of knowing how lousy the 'Noles would be when they scheduled the game? Welcome to UCF's world!

People that insult UCF for Pittsburgh/Georgia Tech/[other serious team] not being good are dumb.  People that insult Florida for FSU having a down year are also dumb.  Most marquee games are scheduled years if not decades in advance.  As long as you have at least one, that's all that should matter.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, spenser1058 said:

UF is going for that all-important strength of schedule this weekend by playing, ummmm, Idaho. Not the actually decent team up there, Boise State, the other one. (The Tide is playing another powerhouse- The Citadel.)

They're following that up with the unranked and totally unimpressive FSU. What's that? They had no way of knowing how lousy the 'Noles would be when they scheduled the game? Welcome to UCF's world!

One often wonders who would win a contest for most hypocritical organization - the GOP or the SEC?

You are a trip!  I think the GOP would come in at No.2 (I reserved No.1 for...another entity...) and the SEC would come in at No.3 on that short list. 

So, Spenser1058, you don't appreciate ma Gaterz prime-time noon game against Potato-ho, I see.  It's all good, tho.  I'd like to be 8-3 going into Tally.  I'm not so gung ho about that game as the sportswriters are; we're too inconsistent.  I still can't believe we came back from a 31-14 deficit and won.  

So, I reckon you and your black & gold crew should be crashing ESPN Gameday tomorrow at 9am, right?  Big opportunity; it's the big time for UCF...

21 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

People that insult UCF for Pittsburgh/Georgia Tech/[other serious team] not being good are dumb.  People that insult Florida for FSU having a down year are also dumb.  Most marquee games are scheduled years if not decades in advance.  As long as you have at least one, that's all that should matter.

What's UCF's marquee game?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Herbie's ready to take the CFP to 8. Now to just get Finebaum (recently called the "human manifestation of the SEC") on board:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-herbstreit-espn-gameday-20181115-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

Herbie will back anything so long as his Buckeyes aren't left out...  But he knows that even with 8 teams, chances are that UCF would be left out again.  Finebaum has nothing to worry about either.  See below:

SEC:  Bama, sometimes LSU, Auburn, UGA or another combination.  But, UF appears to be heading back up.  So that's presently a pool of 3-4 legitimate Top 8 contenders; 4-5 in the future.

Big Ten: TOSU, sometimes Wisconsin, Michigan St.  But now, Michigan appears back and Penn St may also be close.  That's 2-4

Big 12:  OU, maybe WVU this year, not so much Texas.  That's 1 maybe 2

ACC: Clemson; maybe FSU in the future; less likely Miami.  That's 1, maybe 2-3 in the future.

Pac 10: Oregon or USC or Washington- maybe 1 Top 8 team consistently.

ND (this year at least)

So, I tally 7 maybe 8 teams from these categories getting in every year (not including ND b/c I'm not a believer). 

UCF: So, what are the chances UCF gets into an 8 team playoff field?  To answer this, here's something to think about:  in NCAA basketball, teams only get a berth in the 64 team playoff field if their RPI is high enough (out of 300+ teams).  Basketball teams build up that RPI by playing tough teams, win or lose. Case in point:  UF went back to back in '06, '07., yet, in '08, their RPI was weak- even though they won 20+ games and so they were left out and had to go to the NIT instead.  The same thing happened the following year (weak RPI). 

Now, apply this standard to the FBS (which we already do).  So, what's UCF's argument now for football and why should it vary from this standard that their own  UCF basketball team adheres to? Or even college baseball (same standard; judged by the RPI way more than with wins and losses than both football and basketball).

Your College GameDay Hometown National Champions once again clinch the AAC East by defeating #24 Cincinnati (I know that SoS can't compare to the Potato Heads and the Citadel, but one makes do) 38-13. Meanwhile, the streak goes to 23.

Next week, it's the War On I4 at Ray Jay and then the AAC Championship.

And to think it all started in a cow pasture at St. Leo...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-ucf-football-spotlight-mike-bianchi-1118-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

(I know that SoS can't compare to the Potato Heads and the Citadel, but one makes do)

Citadel is tough!!111 they were tied at halftime with the best team ever even if they  lose!!111111222 and they had such a quality loss last night they probably deserve to be ranked

Your Hometown National Champions are a hit on TV as well. Both College GameDay on ESPN (up 8% over last year) and ABC's prime time broadcast of UCF vs. Cincy (3 vs. 2.6 million for KU/OU on FOX) were measurable increases.

Once again, those who suggest no one cares about the American and that only the P5 matters seem to be in error.

Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-sp-football-news-1119-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

If I'm not hosting a watch party at my house, I'll be at the game watch location on Church St.  No need to travel to watch this... uh... team.

I watched the Maryland game.  Meyer is smart- but almost had a heart attack on Saturday.  Their defensive strategy duped MD into going for two when they didn't have to in 2OT.  The gamble paid off. The result was a win.  Part of the game is winning those types of games that come down to the wire on the road.

In contrast, my YearOne Florida Fightin' Mullens got hammered at home to Mizzou a week ago.  A horrible loss.  A close win would've been criticized I'm sure, but to lose like that at home is just terrible.  The Kentucky game was not too much different.

So, be thankful TOSU has the mojo to still be in it this late in the season.  I pick them against Mee-shi-gan b/c I don't think Harbaugh has what it takes to beat Meyer; and I think Meyer also has his number.

Edited by jrs2

15 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, be thankful TOSU has the mojo to still be in it this late in the season.  I pick them against Mee-shi-gan b/c I don't think Harbaugh has what it takes to beat Meyer; and I think Meyer also has his number.

Pretender or not, I'd bet on THE OSU this coming weekend.  This is their kind of game and a game they certainly can win.

• Like 1