Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

We're #23 (at least in the coaches' poll)! I'm going to choose to believe it's because we have a new coach rather than thinking we were jobbed yet again.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24265185/alabama-crimson-tide-starts-no-1-preseason-coaches-poll

From ESPN

Hmmm.  Meyer is in trouble...curious to see what happens.

If UCF can continue it's fast paced offensive ways then that consistency will go far in the collective minds of the voters.  When offenses flounder, voters take note.  We know; we've seen it with the Gators and teams that didn't blow out lesser opponents.

The preseason ranking is probably b/c of the new coach; they don't know whether there's any juice left since Frost left.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Hmmm.  Meyer is in trouble...curious to see what happens.

If UCF can continue it's fast paced offensive ways then that consistency will go far in the collective minds of the voters.  When offenses flounder, voters take note.  We know; we've seen it with the Gators and teams that didn't blow out lesser opponents.

The preseason ranking is probably b/c of the new coach; they don't know whether there's any juice left since Frost left.

Coach Heup was widely praised for his turnaround of an SEC team last year (Mizzou.) If this works, and there are signs it might, Danny White is a genius.

• Like 1

Yahoo! Sports takes a good look at how they think the Knights' season will go. Interestingly, they suggest our lads will defeat UNC and Pitt but lose to FAU (omg) and Memphis. 

They also note two transfers from 'Bama - who knew?

Anyway, that gets us a pre-season ranking with Yahoo! of #22.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/yahoo-sports-2018-top-25-no-22-central-florida-145915993.htmlp

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, jrs2 said:

Here’s where teams with a new head coach, but a returning QB ranked at the end of ‘17 and to start ‘18:

-Mississippi State: 20 > 18
-Florida State: NR > 19
-UCF: 7 > 23

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

Yahoo! Sports takes a good look at how they think the Knights' season will go. Interestingly, they suggest our lads will defeat UNC and Pitt but lose to FAU (omg) and Memphis. 

They also note two transfers from 'Bama - who knew?

Anyway, that gets us a pre-season ranking with Yahoo! of #22.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/yahoo-sports-2018-top-25-no-22-central-florida-145915993.htmlp

Um, my Orange & Blue need a non-idiot QB at the helm.  Anyone willing to transfer from, say, Bama or UCF by chance?  Anyone? Anyone?

FAU was like 11-2 or 11-3 last year with Kiffie.  I think they'll be good again this year.  They've got an on-campus stadium.  Can you believe it?  Wow.  FAU...  Anyway, that will be a showdown.  UNC has Fedora as coach.  Good coach.  They lost some players in the offseason so that will work to UCF's advantage to the dismay of 'Heel Nation.

But, man, Mullen really needs to come through...

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:27 PM, Jernigan said:

Here’s where teams with a new head coach, but a returning QB ranked at the end of ‘17 and to start ‘18:

-Mississippi State: 20 > 18
-Florida State: NR > 19
-UCF: 7 > 23

You forgot one:

-Florida: NR > NR

If one can consider Franks a returning QB, that is...does sucking disqualify you?

Edited by jrs2
  • Haha 1

Probably the best thread for this random bit...

I had a dream last night that I met Blake Bortles hanging out at a UCF game and he shared that he had bought the TG Lee plant and was developing awesome streetscapes around the perimeter.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Probably the best thread for this random bit...

I had a dream last night that I met Blake Bortles hanging out at a UCF game and he shared that he had bought the TG Lee plant and was developing awesome streetscapes around the perimeter.      

As long as Blake puts the cow back on the roof, I'm good.

AP lists our Knights #21 in their preseason ranking. It's the first time they've made AP's poll before the season starts.

The AP poll is arguably the most significant before CFP rankings begin in October.

UCF ranked No. 21 in preseason AP top poll
http://bit.ly/2MBS2NX

From the Sentinel

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez, who has had a seat at the CFP table during 3  of its 4 year in existence, says it's time to expand to 6 teams including the top Group of 5 team:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/should-the-college-football-playoff-expand-to-six-teams-barry-alvarez-is-convinced/

From CBS Sports

Charge On!

If you thought flying the UCF co-champ banner over the Citrus Bowl was over the top (quite literally -over the top of the stadium), think about this: it was only a few years ago while strolling the campus that the only team t-shirts you were likely to see were for the Gators, 'Noles or 'Canes. 

Quite simply, no one, including the students, could have cared less about UCF teams. It was a commuter school and nothing more.

Fast forward today and students are living on campus, academic stats continue rising and there's more pride on campus than ever before.

And an alum, for heaven's sake, cared enough about the Knights to fly that banner over the 'Bama-Louisville game (and it wasn't cheap.)

Whether you agree with the sentiment or not, it's clear UCF now matters here in Florida and even beyond. Pretty good work, I'd say.

Charge On!

Attorney tries to irk Alabama, flies banner calling UCF co-national champs over Camping World Stadium
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/sports-editor-blog/os-sp-ucf-national-champions-banner-20180901-story.html

From the Sentinel