Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

CBS Sports looks at the rash of real non-conference games being scheduled instead of the powderpuffs the Power 5 have played for years and asks why. The answer lies in part with ADs believing the CFP will go to 8 teams after 2025.

An interesting conundrum is the scarcity of quality teams to schedule. Schools like USF are taking the 2-and-1 so as not to be left without a seat when the music stops.

For UCF, which insists on home and home, it’s going to get even harder to schedule the teams they need.

Will there be conference realignments to accommodate new powerhouses like the Knights, Cincy and Houston? Who knows?

What will need to happen in the meantime is to make sure the AAC has as many strong teams as possible to keep up SoS within the conference if there’s a lack of games available outside the league.

Either the USF or UCF strategy is viable (apart from the stadium finances), but, as of today, the Bulls couldn’t even measure up in  the AAC so playing Alabama and Florida ain’t much help if you always lose. 

Hopefully, Kerwin Bell has a miracle or two up his sleeve he can put to use soon.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/expected-playoff-expansion-decreased-attendance-have-college-football-teams-strengthening-schedules/

It looks like UCONN is headed back to the Big East.

The school was a founding member of the conference in 1979 and had a great rivalry in basketball with Syracuse and Georgetown.

Sadly, their football program is, in a word, awful. No word of where it goes but the AAC is unlikely to keep them in football only.

The good news for our Knights is that it provides an opportunity to invite a quality program to join the AAC. Who would you prefer to see?

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-conference-aac-20190622-20190622-qgewcp6jhvd5fd4lenxr5vnncm-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Hartford Courant 

I think West Virginia makes sense.

Honestly, most of the Big 12 might just make a great AAC-West.  I've read they are in a bad way anyway.

AAC - East

1. University of Central Florida
  2. University of Cincinnati
  3. University of Memphis
  4. University of South Florida
  5. Temple University
  6. Tulane University
  7. University of Tulsa
  8. Wichita State University  
  9. West Virginia University 
  10. Iowa State University      

AAC - West

1. Baylor University
  2. Southern Methodist University
  3. University of Kansas
  4. Kansas State University
  5. University of Oklahoma
  6. Oklahoma State University
  7. Texas Christian University
  8. University of Texas at Austin
  9. Texas Tech University
  10.  University of Houston

East Carolina University deservedly gets the boot.

It puts most of the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas teams in the West, but not all of them.  I think it automatically makes teams like UCF have better opponents (depending on the sport, of course) and fixes a broken conference.

THE MASTER CONFERENCE!!

5 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I think West Virginia makes sense.

Honestly, most of the Big 12 might just make a great AAC-West.  I've read they are in a bad way anyway.

AAC - East

1. University of Central Florida
  2. University of Cincinnati
  3. University of Memphis
  4. University of South Florida
  5. Temple University
  6. Tulane University
  7. University of Tulsa
  8. Wichita State University  
  9. West Virginia University 
  10. Iowa State University      

AAC - West

1. Baylor University
  2. Southern Methodist University
  3. University of Kansas
  4. Kansas State University
  5. University of Oklahoma
  6. Oklahoma State University
  7. Texas Christian University
  8. University of Texas at Austin
  9. Texas Tech University
  10.  University of Houston

East Carolina University deservedly gets the boot.

It puts most of the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas teams in the West, but not all of them.  I think it automatically makes teams like UCF have better opponents (depending on the sport, of course) and fixes a broken conference.

Be nice to ECU, now - my cousin Wayne was a chemistry prof there (along with his wife) for decades.

OTOH - I wouldn’t mind losing Tulsa and KU apparently isn’t tearing the world up in football, either. What are we doing with Navy?

I have to say I’m having a good bit of schadenfreude about the Big XII. People kept trying to jam them down our throats and it turns out they’re the ones that are in a world of hurt.

What’s even funnier is the reaction from all the Yankees who seem to think UConn has been single-handedly holding up the AAC for the last 5 years. Not only has their football team sucked wind but their men’s bb team hasn’t exactly been leaving the rest of the conference in the dust (the women are another matter), either. Almost no social media posts from anyone in the AAC have been despondent over losing either UConn or the world famous “Civil ConFLiCT” rivalry.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, spenser1058 said:

It looks like UCONN is headed back to the Big East.

Another look at this-

https://www.theringer.com/2019/6/27/18760846/uconn-huskies-big-east-conference-realignment

"OK, so, maybe UConn’s move is not a big deal. It is unlikely to be the first domino in a new wave of conference reshuffling; it will have virtually no effect on college football; it probably won’t make UConn’s premier team, the perennially elite women’s basketball squad, any better or worse. It is, however, a funny footnote. Several years after massive waves of realignment redrew the NCAA map and, in many ways, allowed for the creation of the College Football Playoff, UConn’s move is an acknowledgment that the invisible hand that rearranged the college football landscape screwed up a little bit."

• Like 1

Paul Finebaum rips the ‘Noles:

https://247sports.com/Article/Florida-State-Seminoles-football-Willie-Taggart-Paul-Finebaum-destination-job-133287572/Amp/

From 24/7 Sports

That’s Ok ‘cuz now we have the Knights as Florida’s newest member of the Big Three...

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you were waiting for the Bulls to finally catch up with our Knights and build an on-campus stadium, you may not want to hold your breath. South Florida’s new president apparently see it as a vision, not a priority.

Given they’re still behind us in attendance despite all the room at RayJay, he may have a point. But the Baby Bulls will catch up one of these days...

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2019/07/08/on-campus-usf-football-stadium-is-a-vision-not-yet-a-plan-for-new-school-president/

(Via Tampa Bay Times)

Charge On!
Edited by spenser1058

Interesting comments by Boston coach Brad Stevens about Tacko Fall - he’s got potential as a basketball player (he’s generally considered a diamond in the rough but he seems to be getting some polish in Vegas) but, more than that, he’s just one heck of a human being.

Thinking back on some of the attitudes we suffered through with the Magic (the Dwightmare comes immediately to mind along with others), it’s a shame the DeVos’ can’t make it work with Tacko, especially since the price would apparently be right.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-tacko-fall-celtics-brad-stevens-20190710-6bepgcuojvftblko7kv2ef5jjq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Darriel Mack has broken his ankle and won’t be at the Knights’ training camp. That appears to put Brandon Wimbush in the pole position to start as QB. Stay tuned... this could be huge.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-darriel-mack-injury-20190710-b4plvevpprb4fmefy4d7ntlfgu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

UCF receives $13 million gift (the largest ever) to provide athletic scholarships. This is, of course, huge in its own right.

What’s really amazing, though, is that the frequency keeps growing and the amounts keep getting larger. This things are the building blocks to build a top-tier program and we’re well on our way.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-athletics-gift-commitment-20190724-2nmmr2q6djfg5o6ytrt7eew3f4-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Charge On!

I just asked that my name be put in 27' high letters on the side.  That's all.  They were looking at 30' ones and I was like "NO WAY!  That's entirely too gawdy and puts the focus on me, when the focus should be on the university."  Seriously.  That's just insane.  Thirty feet? 

• Like 1