Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

It's a shame the undefeated streak had to end. But the fact that the polls still kept UCF in the top 25 despite the loss seems to me like the overall college football world is beginning to respect non-P5 teams/conferences a bit more given what UCF has done the past couple of years.

That's a good thing. 

• Like 1

I’ll let the game stand on its own merits.

Pittsburgh is an awesome city and the campus is attractive. I have to say, however, that it was the worst experience I’ve ever had as a visitor at an away game.

The vitriol was especially odd given we’re supposed to be a lowly G5 team. I guess I should like they seemed to be so affected by us.

Nevertheless, it’s probably a good thing we won’t be going back any time soon.

Being a Midwest guy who will go to any football game he can, I've seen the Steelers play in Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati.   This is because my friend is a Steelers fan.  I don't know if Pitt college fans are like this, but those NFL Pitt fans were the worst I've ever seen.  Even to their own.  I've never seen worse fans in my life.  They were consistently hateful, rude, and surly.  That even included their treatment of their own fellow fans.  I saw a Colt's fan get beaten to a bloody pulp for no reason.  I saw people get things thrown at them and insulted.  I saw a Steelers fan get shoved around because his young teen son was a Colts fan and they kept throwing things at his family.

I've been to all of those cities except St. Louis to see other teams play and I've been to Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Jax, and Charlotte.  I might be missing a few other stadiums?  Maybe? 

I've seen bad fan behavior in isolated incidents.  I've never seen the bulk like a Steelers game brings.

• Thanks 1

Actually, Hank went all those other places because he’s still trying to find a place as wonderful as Camping World Stadium! *runs*

One thing that made me jealous was that Pitt plays at Heinz Field. If only we could have ours sponsored by such a solid brand name and one with such deep ties to its city.

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ll let the game stand on its own merits.

Pittsburgh is an awesome city and the campus is attractive. I have to say, however, that it was the worst experience I’ve ever had as a visitor at an away game.

The vitriol was especially odd given we’re supposed to be a lowly G5 team. I guess I should like they seemed to be so affected by us.

Nevertheless, it’s probably a good thing we won’t be going back any time soon.

Respect.

You went to the game. 

Pittsburg is a cool town and Pitt is like 400 years old.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t really paid too much attention so it’s very possible I’m missing something but based on the headlines coming out of Houston I have to wonder if they haven’t been pulling a variation of the USF model where they’ve tried to rise too quickly without first building a solid foundation.

I am aware that money is not a problem over there.

Say what you will about us, the “overnight wonders” some cause UCF of being is built on the solid foundation GOL built (even if it was excruciatingly boring some years) and DW’s insistence we build our base at home even when it would be easier to just wander around the country at the whim of ESPN and hire celebrity coaches.

I truly believe ours is the better route even after a stumble.

It’s also worth noting that we still have a “longest” streak going with yet another 30+ points scored.

Charge On!

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, Hank went all those other places because he’s still trying to find a place as wonderful as Camping World Stadium! *runs*

One thing that made me jealous was that Pitt plays at Heinz Field. If only we could have ours sponsored by such a solid brand name and one with such deep ties to its city.

I believe that name is changing soon. It ends in 2 years and Kraft is moving everything more towards Chicago from Pitt so I think you see a different name on it in a few years. Considering the stupid money UPMC (University of Pitt Medical Center) brings in I could see them buying it. They are building hospitals all over the world.

• Thanks 1

Danny White schedules 1-and-1 with Boise State and BYU.  This is huge- rather than kowtow to teams that represent the past like USF decided to do, instead play the teams that represent the future.

Let’s build a better conference- that’s the future.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ucf-football-schedules-future-nonconference-games-with-boise-state-byu/

From CBS Sports

That’s UF’s pattern - they refused to play FSU until the Legilature made them and stopped playing The U once they got good. 

UCF is moving on to the future while UF maintains the status quo. You’re right it’s ridiculous but so is much of FBS football.

Of course, it’s apparently a thing in the SEC. UT also refuses to play the best team in Tennessee. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s UF’s pattern - they refused to play FSU until the Legilature made them and stopped playing The U once they got good. 

UCF is moving on to the future while UF maintains the status quo. You’re right it’s ridiculous but so is much of FBS football.

Of course, it’s apparently a thing in the SEC. UT also refuses to play the best team in Tennessee. 

Miami:

Read the article in the 1982 SI with Wayne Peace on the cover, "The Peace Corps."  It was the UF-Miami game.   They discuss how UF and Miami play each other as a result of 5-year long contracts.  The next contract would have been 1983-1987.  The urban myth everybody loves to believe is that UF was "afraid" to play Miami once they got good.  In that SI issue, they clearly state that 1982 was the final year of that 5-year contract and UF was looking to dump Miami because they were losing money in that series.  Were they lying back in 1982 before Miami ever won anything?  No.

They decided to give it a go one last time from 1983-1987 and didn't renew in 1988.  So what?  UF beat Miami in 1982.  UF renewed the contract again.  UF beat Miami in 1983.  Miami punked UF in 1984.  UF beat Miami in 1985, a Miami team that would've played OU for the national title but for that loss.  UF lost in 1986 and 1987.  So what?  UF was already in tussles with Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, and UGA in the '80's in games that had national title implications.  Throw FSU into that mix as well.

"Moving into the future":  I don't even know what that means.  UF plays in the SEC, doesn't need Miami, a team that said no to an SEC invite; doesn't need FSU, another team that said no to an SEC invite, to win the BCS Title, the Bowl Coalition, or to get a berth in The CFP.  Back when those two schools opted for the defunct Big East and lowly ACC, they had the easy paths to the national title game.  FSU didn't lose a game in the ACC until the Barber brothers at UVA got them in 1995.  Miami rolled through the Big East in '91 and opted--opted, for the Orange Bowl game against an outmatched option team in Nebraska over No.3 UF in the Sugar Bowl.  Then, in 1992, during the first year of divisional play, UF almost beat Alabama, the team that destroyed Miami in the Sugar Bowl for the national title.

Status Quo?  First off, the SEC gave those other two schools a chance in the early '90's.  They said no.  Fast forward to now, and FSU is a program in shambles and Miami is not doing so well either.  Look at Miami now...they were like..."we should've beat UF"...but now they are celebrating when they beat BCC and CMU 17-12 like it was the Super Bowl.  They joined the ACC and played down to the competition which has killed that program.  FSU was all about Bobby Bowden.  Jimbo extended that grace period and now it's expired.

UF makes $21M per year from SEC play.  FSU makes maybe $7M from ACC play.  The SEC started the divisional play trend.    The SEC expanded in 1992 and in 2012.  There's no stagnation here, only innovation ala the "super conference" trend.  

Just because UCF couldn't get the right people in it's administration to recognize that chasing USF was not the way to go, and they boarded the Titanic, instead of the RC Oasis, is not UF's fault.  UF doesn't owe a team that plays in a 40k seat stadium and just lost to now-No.37 ranked Pitt anything, whether you or anyone else thinks it does or not.  UF also does not owe UCF a 1 for 1 either.  What UCF should do is schedule their former AAC brethren, Louisville and Rutgers, if they can, and prove to them that they're better than them and smarter than them by staying in the AAC in the G5 back in 2013-14, They should also schedule WVU, who went to the Big 12 around the same time, the team that perhaps directly snagged a seat that might have been reserved for a UCF-type program.  Is that UF's fault too?

UCF has no choice but to adopt a mantra of "moving into the future" because of where it's at because of it's own mistakes.  At least Louisville, WVU, and Rutgers don't have to worry about that because they already "moved into the future" when UCF didn't even know where it was in the present.

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

UCF and UF will both be playing home and homes with a team in Utah and not with each other.  If this doesn’t boggle your mind then you aren’t thinking.

What boggles my mind is why UCF was content to join the AAC when Louisville and Rutgers opted for major conferences at a time when the Big East had one foot in the dirt and the other on a banana peel.  Have you ever asked yourself why, or is that not even important to you?  Spenser would argue that the past doesn't matter, but, doesn't it though? 

UCF is like the tourist who goes to Animal Kingdom and expects the Monorail to pick him up there, and then criticizes Disney when he finds out later that the Monorail stops at EPCOT. 

Sorry, UCF, do your research next time on the dynamics of the FBS; you were 19 years invested prior to 2014.  And UF shouldn't have to be guilted or shamed into picking up the pieces as a result.

And if this doesn't resonate with you, then I can't help you.

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

What boggles my mind is why UCF was content to join the AAC when Louisville and Rutgers opted for major conferences at a time when the Big East had one foot in the dirt and the other on a banana peel.  Have you ever asked yourself why, or is that not even important to you?  Spenser would argue that the past doesn't matter, but, doesn't it though? 

UCF is like the tourist who goes to Animal Kingdom and expects the Monorail to pick him up there, and then criticizes Disney when he finds out later that the Monorail stops at EPCOT. 

Sorry, UCF, do your research next time on the dynamics of the FBS; you were 19 years invested prior to 2014.  And UF shouldn't have to be guilted or shamed into picking up the pieces as a result.

And if this doesn't resonate with you, then I can't help you.

Please cite your source that there was a ACC/Big10/Big12 invitation?

Or perhaps you meant SEC or AFC East?  In any case please cite your source or I’m not even responding to this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Please cite your source that there was a ACC/Big10/Big12 invitation?

Or perhaps you meant SEC or AFC East?  In any case please cite your source or I’m not even responding to this.

Do you mean for UCF?  Do you mean an invite they said no too?  I'm not saying that there was and never implied it.

But based on your fact check response to me, which is valid, I feel like I am the only one here who has researched my info before I have posted anything.  All I get from Spenser et al is that the past doesn't matter- I now believe the reason is b/c nobody knows the history of this thing in any detail or just prefers to sweep it under the rug and ignore it once they learn of it.

Personally, I could care less about UCF and the G5 or the P5 as it relates to UCF- until someone drags UF into the conversation.

I mean no ill will to UCF, but, they are like that tourist at Animal Kingdom and they won't be satisfied until Disney extends the Monorail- but they won't sit back and say "my God, why did I go to Animal Kingdom in the first place expecting the Monorail to pick me up here when it stops at EPCOT?  Why didn't I look at the map first?"

That's my point.  The FBS will not change for UCF or for their apparent incompetence in athletics in this situation.

Also, to your prior point, college coaches don't just get hired without representation.  Neither do athletes.  Same goes for universities.  Did UCF not contact major conferences and politick to get an invite when they entered the FBS in 1996?  We know they joined the MAC and C-USA.  If they did and the response was "no" then it was probably b/c the school and/or athletic department wasn't good enough for admission wherever they politicked...or money.  If they didn't even politick, then shame on them.  How did Texas A&M and Mizzou end up in the SEC do ya think?  Meetings take place; deals get cut.  Did the UCF administration even know that those two schools were looking to leave the Big 12?  And did the UCF administration even know that Louisville and Rutgers from THEIR OWN CONFERENCE were looking to leave?  That's the one that gets me the most.  Personally, I think the UCF administration was downright clueless.

How about my favorite example, USF?  How the hec does a brand new football program go from zero to the Big East within 9 years at a time when the Big East was a power 6 conference?  Temple got kicked out of the Big East in 2004 for not taking football seriously enough.  Look at my last year posts on UCF and winning percentage against P5 schools since 1996.  If Temple wasn't good enough to stay in, then it follows that UCF wasn't good enough to even get in.  So the past does matter.  Just b/c they think they're good enough now doesn't mean anything.  Temple actually got kicked out...of the conference UCF later joined!  OMG.  There are so many examples and red flags and things that happened.  Seriously, I think UCF was clueless and got lucky with Scott Frost and Danny White and now they think that they should be absolved of all their football administration sins.  Well, they can hope in one hand...as they say.