Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

There’s a new sheriff and deputy in town and they’re ready to take on the Gators even if it’s a 2-for-1. 

Finally! Gators, UCF about to agree to a football series
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-gators-ucf-agree-football-series-20210714-l63w6sdenncz3nhara2vaahekm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Charge On!

Something I’ve long maintained is that too many college football fans are fighting the last war and that instead of begging to get in the Big XII we would be better served to build the quality of the AAC.

I’ve also long maintained that, as the source of much of the cash that drives the sport, it’s unwise to ignore ESPN in the process. Further, knowing how Disney management works, over the long term teams that do little to contribute to conferences would be set aside. Just because a team was in the right place at the right time 100 years ago is no guarantee going forward it can keep riding the gravy train ESPN is paying for.

Today, we’re seeing just how true both those statements are. I also have to wonder why Bob Bowlsby thinks litigation against ESPN makes sense, given that they are the biggest cash register in the sport.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-commissioner-alleges-espn-conspired-with-sec-american-to-lure-teams-from-conference/

From CBS Sports

On 7/28/2021 at 7:34 PM, spenser1058 said:

Something I’ve long maintained is that too many college football fans are fighting the last war and that instead of begging to get in the Big XII we would be better served to build the quality of the AAC.

I’ve also long maintained that, as the source of much of the cash that drives the sport, it’s unwise to ignore ESPN in the process. Further, knowing how Disney management works, over the long term teams that do little to contribute to conferences would be set aside. Just because a team was in the right place at the right time 100 years ago is no guarantee going forward it can keep riding the gravy train ESPN is paying for.

Today, we’re seeing just how true both those statements are. I also have to wonder why Bob Bowlsby thinks litigation against ESPN makes sense, given that they are the biggest cash register in the sport.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-commissioner-alleges-espn-conspired-with-sec-american-to-lure-teams-from-conference/

From CBS Sports

I've been hearing chatter about the Big12 and AAC ala some sort of superconference now that it is official that OU and Tejas are going to the SEC as late as 2025 but probably much earlier than then.  Not sure about KU and the B1G.

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I've been hearing chatter about the Big12 and AAC ala some sort of superconference now that it is official that OU and Tejas are going to the SEC as late as 2025 but probably much earlier than then.  Not sure about KU and the B1G.

Its hard to envision how that makes any sort of sense. Big12 has more name recognition, and the AAC has too many bad teams on the bottom that it wouldn't make any sense to merge the entire conference. Why wouldn't Big 12 just poach the top 4 or 6 AAC teams and leave the rest to die (or merge with CUSA)

4 minutes ago, aent said:

Its hard to envision how that makes any sort of sense. Big12 has more name recognition, and the AAC has too many bad teams on the bottom that it wouldn't make any sense to merge the entire conference. Why wouldn't Big 12 just poach the top 4 or 6 AAC teams and leave the rest to die (or merge with CUSA)

well, perhaps that too.  I'm hearing Cincy won't be considered by the B1G b/c of TOSU, so they wouldn't go there, but Cincy does have a good brand recognition.  So, it may end up being something like that...brand recognition and market entrance based on invites.  Maybe they get Cincy, UCF, and a couple of more.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:56 PM, spenser1058 said:

There’s a new sheriff and deputy in town and they’re ready to take on the Gators even if it’s a 2-for-1. 

Finally! Gators, UCF about to agree to a football series
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-gators-ucf-agree-football-series-20210714-l63w6sdenncz3nhara2vaahekm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Charge On!

so it is a 2 for 1?  DId they state the years the teams will play each other for the three games?  thx.

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, perhaps that too.  I'm hearing Cincy won't be considered by the B1G b/c of TOSU, so they wouldn't go there, but Cincy does have a good brand recognition.  So, it may end up being something like that...brand recognition and market entrance based on invites.  Maybe they get Cincy, UCF, and a couple of more.

I’ll just note that UCF beat Baylor when we played them, and that was in the Coach O’Leary days before Danny White and Frosty. Before you roll out the old chestnut “they weren’t any good that year”, it was a New Year’s bowl (the last BCS). Speaking of which, talk to Gus about just how “unmotivated” Auburn was in the Peach Bowl.

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ll just note that UCF beat Baylor when we played them, and that was in the Coach O’Leary days before Danny White and Frosty. Before you roll out the old chestnut “they weren’t any good that year”, it was a New Year’s bowl (the last BCS). Speaking of which, talk to Gus about just how “unmotivated” Auburn was in the Peach Bowl.

...Bortles.  that was a good UCF squad.  Daunte almost beat Nebraska in 1997.  UCF beat Auburn in 2017 with their current coach; you won't hear Gus downplay that game either way.

I think UCF can do a good job in a new Big 12. 

I still lament the dismantling of the BigEast.  Pitt, Syracuse, VaTech, Rutgers, WVU, Miami, BC- that was a good conference.

The Big 12.  We have to remember that the Big 12 is really the Big 8 + a few teams from the SWC (the Texas teams); Orange Bowl + Cotton Bowl conferences.

The Big Bowls were always tied to conference champions.  Not so much anymore

I'm rambling again with no end in sight...

• Like 1

I wonder how the perception of UCF will be in 2021 and into the future based on how former UCF coaches and AAC coaches have fared in the Power 5 as HC.  Scott Frost has a dumpster fire at Nebraska.  Coach Josh will be in his first year at Tennessee along with his mouthy AD compatriot, White.  Dude from Memphis is at FSU, year two.

So, Frosty is probably gonna continue to fail at Nebraska.  Too bad, b/c I like him.  Coach Josh and his former UCF AD at UT may be successful there but they went into a dumpster fire as well.  AD White wanted to take jabs at UF to get a 1 for 1.  Now he's got it - what he always wanted, at an SECE school that has only beaten UF once since 2004.  I wonder how many signs saying "2 and 1" or "1 and 1= loss and loss" will be in the crowd at the UF vs UT game.   I will say this, his presence at UT will make some Gator fans pretty livid about UT as if they needed any extra ammo in that department.  They may bring back fraternity block seating and cups-of-urine-throwing not seen since Devil #2, Johnny Majors' '91 squad rolled into Gainesville and lost.  White was a good cheerleader for UCF, as an AD, but his persona was very douchy as perceived by, well, the entire NCAA.  Everybody wanted to see UCF lose just to shut his ass up.  Now, UT gets to inherit that douchebagetry.  It's not bad enough that they fired Phil Fulmer and waffled between Baby Dooley, Lane Train, Pruitt, and the other guy- and they fired the other guy---the only one who actually beat UF out of that whole bunch.  Wow.  Seriously, UT made strides with their athletic department and football facility etc., but hiring White may take them backwards if he starts mouthing off in the SEC.  I'm not really sure how popular he currently is among other SEC AD's as they all remember his mouthiness while at UCF.  He made such a splash that he, Danny White, made non millennials confuse him with Danny White, the former Dallas Cowboys QB in the 1980's for a minute.  What, there's two of them?  And this version doesn't do anything except talk and talk at how UCF should be given all this respect and then UCF can't even win it's own division in a Group of Five conference.  And then Tennessee hires him.  Wow... Maybe the SEC should de-invite Tennessee out of the SEC and invite UCF to take it's place.  Wow.  I cannot wait for the UF vs UT game.  It's in Gainesville and I hope Douchy White is in attendance.  Having that douchebag at UT makes me dislike UT again.  I admit, I was getting soft on the Vols...but not anymore.  Fulmer was a great coach.  UF should reach out to him to come and fix it's offensive line woes.

Dude at FSU will have to contend with UNC's Mack Brown at a program on the rise as I predicted three years ago.  They won't beat Clempsen, and UF will beat them in Gainesville this year.  Miami should also beat them.  They may even lose  yet again.  The Bowden/Fisher days are long gone for FSU.  Their athletic dept needs new revenue sources; heck, not too long ago, they inked a deal to have a branch of the Citrus Club at Doak (I say Doak and not Joke b/c they have nice brickwork now...since the early '90's.  The chances of FSU seeing the Top 25 is slim.

Gus is in Orlando now.  I've always liked Gus.  His claim to fame is in the form of two words:  Mitch and Mustain.  "Mustain" is a name I hold in high esteem b/c it's the name of Dave Mustain of Megadeth.  But I'm talking about the QB that Arkansas recruited and to get him, they had to hire his HS coach, Coach Gus, back in '07.  It worked, but when things didn't work out in Fayetteville, Mustain transferred to SoCal and Seattle Coach.

So the perception is that UCF has an easy schedule and those other coaches like Frost and Coach Josh had it easy in the AAC, or only had it partly easy depending on the season.  And UCF's nemesis coach who likely will fail at FSU is also from the AAC.

The key is going to be Coach Gus getting it going, and getting it going hard and fast.  Cincy is king of the AAC right now since Memphis lost it's HC, but Gus can get it going.  Will he?  He'll be there for at least 3 years I think.  When UCF plays UF in 2024 or so he'll be in his 3rd year at UCF and he may have UCF playing lights out.  Hopefully for UF, they can figure out how to play defense again by then.

UCF took a step or two back the past couple seasons much to the delight of ABC and the Ohio State Herbstreits or the world, and to the delight of Gator fans, I must say, because of the mouthiness of Douchy White mainly.  But now, Gus is there.  It's a completely different ball of wax now.  I like Gus- always have.  Auburn fans are just...ah...whatever...  At least UCF hired Gus and didn't hire Muschamp.  Jeremy Foley snowed everyone over with the hiring of Billy Donovan.  But he was not responsible for hiring Spurrier or Urban Meyer (I forgive him); Meyer was the result of Bernie Machen, former president of Utah.  Foley screwed UF with the hiring of Zook (kind of) and the hiring of Muschamp.  But it was more complicated than that b/c Meyer, upon his exit, tried to dismantle the UF football program so that it would not be competition to his future gig at TOSU.  I take it back...Urban Liar.  Now I'm pissed again.  Foley actually tried to snag Stoops back from OU and Meyer un-quit and tanked UF's 2010 season and then re-quit.  Very douchy.  He was still there when they hired Texas' CIW Muschamp and influenced the hiring of Weis as OC. 

Wow, after all that, maybe Danny White wasn't all that bad comparatively speaking.

The Gus Bus has been going all in on keeping the Hometown talent at home and scores a win over Hogtown with Boone star Leyton Nelson. Later, Gator:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/os-sp-leyton-nelson-commits-ucf-20210805-a3fuvjdlh5gmheinqfuuegiwpi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Heupel was the worst at cultivating local preps and their coaches. I almost feel sad for the Volunteer State’s worst program (wonder if Josh can beat GA State the next time around?).

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Gus Bus has been going all in on keeping the Hometown talent at home and scores a win over Hogtown with Boone star Leyton Nelson. Later, Gator:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/os-sp-leyton-nelson-commits-ucf-20210805-a3fuvjdlh5gmheinqfuuegiwpi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Heupel was the worst at cultivating local preps and their coaches. I almost feel sad for the Volunteer State’s worst program (wonder if Josh can beat GA State the next time around?).

Coach Gus is a big time coach who was one misjudgment away from beating FSU in the 2013 BCS; don't give Jameis time with the ball or he'll beat you.  Smart made the same mistake four years later against Saban when he plugged Tua into the game.  

He can get recruits to buy in just on his coaching pedigree alone...Auburn.

UCF did well by hiring a multi-year HC from the SEC.  Frost was great.  Heupel (thx for spelling it) did ok at continuing Frost's plan for the most part.

I think the biggest mistake UCF made coaching-hire-wise was when they hired a guy that Notre Dame un-hired b/c of his resume issue; and then he choked against Mack Brown and Tejas when UCF had them on the ropes except Israel (QB, not the country) kept fumbling it back when they were trying to christen the new digs on national tv.  I think the fumbling was a trickle down effect from the HC that was affecting the QB's confidence.  But, he was at Tech, right?

As for Tennessee...I dunno what to expect from them this year....apparently they've got lots of transfers and lost alot.  UF plays them at The Swamp.  If UF wins big, that may affect their confidence going forward...maybe, maybe not...

I've watched a few old games of UF vs UT and to see that talent UT had on the field it's amazing they've devolved as much as they have.  I'm sure people said the same thing about UF in 2013 and 2017...  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Coach Gus is a big time coach who was one misjudgment away from beating FSU in the 2013 BCS; don't give Jameis time with the ball or he'll beat you.  Smart made the same mistake four years later against Saban when he plugged Tua into the game.  

He can get recruits to buy in just on his coaching pedigree alone...Auburn.

UCF did well by hiring a multi-year HC from the SEC.  Frost was great.  Heupel (thx for spelling it) did ok at continuing Frost's plan for the most part.

I think the biggest mistake UCF made coaching-hire-wise was when they hired a guy that Notre Dame un-hired b/c of his resume issue; and then he choked against Mack Brown and Tejas when UCF had them on the ropes except Israel (QB, not the country) kept fumbling it back when they were trying to christen the new digs on national tv.  I think the fumbling was a trickle down effect from the HC that was affecting the QB's confidence.  But, he was at Tech, right?

As for Tennessee...I dunno what to expect from them this year....apparently they've got lots of transfers and lost alot.  UF plays them at The Swamp.  If UF wins big, that may affect their confidence going forward...maybe, maybe not...

I've watched a few old games of UF vs UT and to see that talent UT had on the field it's amazing they've devolved as much as they have.  I'm sure people said the same thing about UF in 2013 and 2017...  

George was definitely old school but he gave UCF something it needed - stability and a solid foundation. Compare us with the Temple Terrace Bovines and you see the difference. George also went all in on facilities (we were first in the state with an IPF). George wasn’t my favorite coach and it wasn’t my kind of football, but Frosty was able to benefit from what he built.

• Haha 1

The Hula Bowl is coming to the Bounce House!

UCF to host Hula Bowl in 2022
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-to-host-hula-bowl-20210809-w6nyd2u23jcybjrlm3uixrlfvy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

We also seem to have a sponsor again for the stadium if Randy Fine can keep from whining…

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Hula Bowl is coming to the Bounce House!

UCF to host Hula Bowl in 2022
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-to-host-hula-bowl-20210809-w6nyd2u23jcybjrlm3uixrlfvy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

We also seem to have a sponsor again for the stadium if Randy Fine can keep from whining…

So Orlando will host multiple bowl games/ games sites?  That's huge.

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

George was definitely old school but he gave UCF something it needed - stability and a solid foundation. Compare us with the Temple Terrace Bovines and you see the difference. George also went all in on facilities (we were first in the state with an IPF). George wasn’t my favorite coach and it wasn’t my kind of football, but Frosty was able to benefit from what he built.

Yeah...that was always a bone of contention with me about UF...no IPF until the MacElwain era.  It's a nice facility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of the poor Cows in downtown Temple Terrace, while UCF’s license plate sales are growing, theirs are going the other way. Of course, given the school doesn’t even know what part of the state it’s in, trying to go in the right direction is probably a challenge for them…

you really have it in for them, lol.

I guess the Big East block attempts by USF has long lasting effects...and bad karma attached...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

you really have it in for them, lol.

I guess the Big East block attempts by USF has long lasting effects...and bad karma attached...

South Florida Genshafted us but karma is a b****h. They were supposed to be our rivals but The War On I4 has become hardly worth the trip. We often show up with more folks at RayJay than they do. It’s just sad.

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

South Florida Genshafted us but karma is a b****h. They were supposed to be our rivals but The War On I4 has become hardly worth the trip. We often show up with more folks at RayJay than they do. It’s just sad.

I think their "Fulmer" was the firing of Leavitt.  They had The Big East in mostly full force for a few years like they wanted but they didn't keep track of trends and potential moves.  I accused UCF of doing this when they joined the defunct Big East that became the AAC after losing marquee members less than a year later; but USF stagnated where they were as the conference fell apart and did nothing, and now, they more or less stink in football.  WVU joined the Big 12 during that time.  It's really too bad b/c USF had a good thing going for a while- good logo, good Oregon-esque uni variations, etc.  UCF was actually referred to by Uncle Lou as an elite Group of Five team, along with Memphis and Cincy.    UCF has adorned the Oregon-esque uni's too...

Back to being "Fulmered," I think something similar happened at UF with Spurrier.  Foley never hired him, and I think Foley's attitude towards him ala the whole shut the F up about Earnest Graham and Darnell Dockett and all that guff pretty much was like a bf ghosting his gf during covid, and then causing the gf to break up with the bf...kind of a psychology to that.  I think Foley edged him out b/c he thought he was so great with his personal hire in Donovan, who's BB team had just played for the NC in 2000. 

I think when USF fired Leavitt, it was akin to Foley more or less telling SOS to shut the f up thus causing him to quit.

Foley hired Zook, we know... but Machen hired Meyer.  After that, I think it was a battle of egos between Foley and Meyer that led to Stoops not being pursued in 2009 before Meyer un-quit and the CIW of Texas being hired instead in Muschamp in 2010 when Meyer re-quit with Cheesburger Charlie as OC while Meyer's office was still in the football building...while Muschamp was on campus.  WTF?  And he was planning to coach TOSU the whole time.  "Don't go to UF...that program is broke-" Meyer to WR recruit from MD in 2011.  Mom of WR recruit "if UF is broke, then Meyer is the one who broke it."

Back to Spurrier: he left with a team ranked No.3 overall and a Heisman Finalist QB returning in 2002.  It made no sense to leave.  I think that's why Berlin transferred to Miami; I would've left too.  But, butting heads with your AD can't make the workplace an easy one I gather.  But UF was able to get Meyer to quickly turn around the Zook floundering. 

Zook's big mistake was the hiring of Ed Zaumbrecher as OC.  It screwed up Grossman.  Zook had some big wins, but Ole Miss had Eli Manning two of those years and they beat UF both years.  In '03, Miami pulled off a Choke at Doak but with a win, not a tie, which was bad when  UF's starting QB left with a concussion and they threw in true frosh Chris Leak.  Also, the ref's in the 2003 UF-FSU fiasco killed UF's bid to become SECE Champ because of the 3-way tie and tie breaker based on ranking when their bad calls (ACC refs) were so bad that game, it caused Kirk Herbstreit to make a segment about it on ESPN more or less apologizing to Gator Nation for the loss based on bad calls which cost UF the berth to rematch the LSU team they had already beaten that year.  So there was alot of bad luck if you will as well.  But, I think that's karma too; it always seems the bad luck follows the coaches that are just ok but not that good and it brings them down. 

Same thing happened to Muschamp.  7-6 in year one.  Two of the games were against the two national title game berth teams, LSU & Bama.  Brantley gets hurt and they throw in two freshmen to see who fudges up the least.  In year two, they finished 11-1 in the regular season and ranked No.3, and one ND non-loss to Pitt in getting a berth in the BCS vs Bama; but instead UF got clobbered by Louisville in the bowl game.  Charlie Strong's revenge?  In 2013, Driskell gets hurt early (vs Miami) and they go 4-7 as their 2nd string QB gets hurt as well.  No meaningful backup b/c they chased out 5-star Brissette who became the starter at NC State.  In 2014, they go 7-5 with some heroics from Harris at QB vs UT.

Same thing happened to MacElwain.  In year one, UF is in the Top 5 with the play of Grier at QB.  Then he gets suspended for 12 months for using PEDs.  ???  Then, he transfers.  Then, the backup, Harris, transfers out b/c he feels he won't get a fair shake.  Why no fair shake?  All of the sudden, Del Rio is the starter?  Hmmm.  Son of an NFL coach...and...possible job opportunity in the NFL?   UF plays Michigan in 2015 and 2017, losing both times.  Then at the end of 2017 after firing MacElwain, he ends up as a WR Coach on Michigan's coaching staff.  What?  I was livid.  OMG...  To be honest, UF won the SECE in 2015 & 16 out of default b/c UGA and UT both sucked.

So the karma hit UF as well I think.  I think the coaches that try not to lose versus trying to win bring the bad karma upon themselves and the program.  USF thought they were better than Leavitt and they were wrong.  UT thought that they were better than Fulmer and they were also wrong.  Foley thought he was better than Spurrier and boy was he wrong. 

Oddly enough, UCF I think saw something in White and let him go and then they sign a 2 for 1 versus UF.  Interesting how that happened.

White's ego is gonna bite him in the rear.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I think their "Fulmer" was the firing of Leavitt.  They had The Big East in mostly full force for a few years like they wanted but they didn't keep track of trends and potential moves.  I accused UCF of doing this when they joined the defunct Big East that became the AAC after losing marquee members less than a year later; but USF stagnated where they were as the conference fell apart and did nothing, and now, they more or less stink in football.  WVU joined the Big 12 during that time.  It's really too bad b/c USF had a good thing going for a while- good logo, good Oregon-esque uni variations, etc.  UCF was actually referred to by Uncle Lou as an elite Group of Five team, along with Memphis and Cincy.    UCF has adorned the Oregon-esque uni's too...

Back to being "Fulmered," I think something similar happened at UF with Spurrier.  Foley never hired him, and I think Foley's attitude towards him ala the whole shut the F up about Earnest Graham and Darnell Dockett and all that guff pretty much was like a bf ghosting his gf during covid, and then causing the gf to break up with the bf...kind of a psychology to that.  I think Foley edged him out b/c he thought he was so great with his personal hire in Donovan, who's BB team had just played for the NC in 2000. 

I think when USF fired Leavitt, it was akin to Foley more or less telling SOS to shut the f up thus causing him to quit.

Foley hired Zook, we know... but Machen hired Meyer.  After that, I think it was a battle of egos between Foley and Meyer that led to Stoops not being pursued in 2009 before Meyer un-quit and the CIW of Texas being hired instead in Muschamp in 2010 when Meyer re-quit with Cheesburger Charlie as OC while Meyer's office was still in the football building...while Muschamp was on campus.  WTF?  And he was planning to coach TOSU the whole time.  "Don't go to UF...that program is broke-" Meyer to WR recruit from MD in 2011.  Mom of WR recruit "if UF is broke, then Meyer is the one who broke it."

Back to Spurrier: he left with a team ranked No.3 overall and a Heisman Finalist QB returning in 2002.  It made no sense to leave.  I think that's why Berlin transferred to Miami; I would've left too.  But, butting heads with your AD can't make the workplace an easy one I gather.  But UF was able to get Meyer to quickly turn around the Zook floundering. 

Zook's big mistake was the hiring of Ed Zaumbrecher as OC.  It screwed up Grossman.  Zook had some big wins, but Ole Miss had Eli Manning two of those years and they beat UF both years.  In '03, Miami pulled off a Choke at Doak but with a win, not a tie, which was bad when  UF's starting QB left with a concussion and they threw in true frosh Chris Leak.  Also, the ref's in the 2003 UF-FSU fiasco killed UF's bid to become SECE Champ because of the 3-way tie and tie breaker based on ranking when their bad calls (ACC refs) were so bad that game, it caused Kirk Herbstreit to make a segment about it on ESPN more or less apologizing to Gator Nation for the loss based on bad calls which cost UF the berth to rematch the LSU team they had already beaten that year.  So there was alot of bad luck if you will as well.  But, I think that's karma too; it always seems the bad luck follows the coaches that are just ok but not that good and it brings them down. 

Same thing happened to Muschamp.  7-6 in year one.  Two of the games were against the two national title game berth teams, LSU & Bama.  Brantley gets hurt and they throw in two freshmen to see who fudges up the least.  In year two, they finished 11-1 in the regular season and ranked No.3, and one ND non-loss to Pitt in getting a berth in the BCS vs Bama; but instead UF got clobbered by Louisville in the bowl game.  Charlie Strong's revenge?  In 2013, Driskell gets hurt early (vs Miami) and they go 4-7 as their 2nd string QB gets hurt as well.  No meaningful backup b/c they chased out 5-star Brissette who became the starter at NC State.  In 2014, they go 7-5 with some heroics from Harris at QB vs UT.

Same thing happened to MacElwain.  In year one, UF is in the Top 5 with the play of Grier at QB.  Then he gets suspended for 12 months for using PEDs.  ???  Then, he transfers.  Then, the backup, Harris, transfers out b/c he feels he won't get a fair shake.  Why no fair shake?  All of the sudden, Del Rio is the starter?  Hmmm.  Son of an NFL coach...and...possible job opportunity in the NFL?   UF plays Michigan in 2015 and 2017, losing both times.  Then at the end of 2017 after firing MacElwain, he ends up as a WR Coach on Michigan's coaching staff.  What?  I was livid.  OMG...  To be honest, UF won the SECE in 2015 & 16 out of default b/c UGA and UT both sucked.

So the karma hit UF as well I think.  I think the coaches that try not to lose versus trying to win bring the bad karma upon themselves and the program.  USF thought they were better than Leavitt and they were wrong.  UT thought that they were better than Fulmer and they were also wrong.  Foley thought he was better than Spurrier and boy was he wrong. 

Oddly enough, UCF I think saw something in White and let him go and then they sign a 2 for 1 versus UF.  Interesting how that happened.

White's ego is gonna bite him in the rear.

Danny’s about as brash as Spurrier used to be (did you notice his comments on Bobby passing? He was certainly polite but miles away from effusive). Steve rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way but got Hogtown on the map. Danny did the same for UCF (I think he’s likely to regret Knoxville even more than Frosty does Lincoln - at least Scott can blame it on family and Coach Osborne).

Dr. Cartwright observed that a similar situation in Buffalo to ours with Danny led folks to bemoan the loss of their AD, but that the next one was even better. Terry looks like he’s gonna do that, too.

We also have to thank Auburn for throwing so much money at Gus he can use the rest of his career for legacy building (he already proved he can beat Saban).

Unlike the hungry young coaches, he knows he has a chance to be for UCF what Bobby was for FSU and that’s what’s on his mind.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Danny’s about as brash as Spurrier used to be (did you notice his comments on Bobby passing? He was certainly polite but miles away from effusive). Steve rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way but got Hogtown on the map. Danny did the same for UCF (I think he’s likely to regret Knoxville even more than Frosty does Lincoln - at least Scott can blame it on family and Coach Osborne).

Dr. Cartwright observed that a similar situation in Buffalo to ours with Danny led folks to bemoan the loss of their AD, but that the next one was even better. Terry looks like he’s gonna do that, too.

We also have to thank Auburn for throwing so much money at Gus he can use the rest of his career for legacy building (he already proved he can beat Savannah).

Unlike the hungry young coaches, he knows he has a chance to be for UCF what Bobby was for FSU and that’s what’s on his mind.

So, Gus is a Power 5 coach.  It's almost like he's an "insider" if you will.  O'Leary not so much b/c he was there during the BCS years but not with the later realignment creating the Power & Group conferences.  So, this is good.

Spurrier was brash but he backed it up, and most of his commentary was reactive to other coaches mouthing off.  Goff was a crapty coach but was a douche ex-UGA QB from the mid-Seventies.  Spurrier didn't like UGA and didn't appreciate stupid comments bu Goff to the media.  That's why Goff never beat Spurrier, even when UGA had a "superior" team in 1992.  Spurrier respected UT and knew he had to win that game to have a shot at a good season.  The Citrus Bowl jokes- UT deserved it b/c of the douchebaggetry of their then-former coach, Johnny Majors, and his anti-UF politicking.  That was karma.  So I wouldn't be surprised at all if all the woes at UT in the past 15 years are a delayed karma to Majors' 'Gator Chomp' to the SEC in 1984 and likely also 1990.

Danny White talked a big game but UCF didn't back it up on the field.  The 2 for 1 drama got UCF air time, but the bulk of the Power Five just ridiculed and laughed when UCF couldn't win their own division.  It's just a fact.  So, after White talked and talked and then had to eat crow, he split in a more douchy fashion then when Franks split UF after he got hurt and realized his cry-babying was the only reason Mullen tolerated him as the starter in 2018 and beginning of 2019.

White had a job to do and he did it or tried to do it; can't fault him for that.  Give us respect! Oh wait, I'm going to be the AD at UF's rival, UT...  Nevermind.

That's White's legacy to me.

Yeah...Saint Bobby...Saint Bobby and Mickey Andrews...for another time...