Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s OK - they have one of the best WBB teams in the country.

Yankees just don’t get college football (sort of like Floridians with MLB).

Us nutmeggers love our lady Huskies. The men's basketball team has been pretty solid as well over the years. Now if someone can just get the NHL back in Hartford, they'd be the most popular person in Connecticut.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

“I’m still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.

Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played 

Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003

Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.“

If you’re under 30, you remember UCF as being better than Miami. Talk about being kept afloat on past glories. The worst part is the media has been responsible for propping them up all this time.

Every year, we hear how Texas and Miami are back. Every year, they are just meh. Welcome to, ummm, Power 5 football?

Are Tennessee and FSU far behind? Maybe South Florida can aspire to be them!

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“I’m still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.

Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played 

Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003

Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.“

If you’re under 30, you remember UCF as being better than Miami. Talk about being kept afloat on past glories. The worst part is the media has been responsible for propping them up all this time.

Every year, we hear how Texas and Miami are back. Every year, they are just meh. Welcome to, ummm, Power 5 football?

Are Tennessee and FSU far behind? Maybe South Florida can aspire to be them!

Miami has a "brand" that the media props up because of 5 national titles and about 3-4 other national title games they played in; because of the 'Catholics vs Convicts' tussles with Notre Dame, because they made the Wishbone obsolete, because of "Wide Right," because of camouflage pants, because of Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, Jeremy Shockey, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, etc., because of The Orange Bowl, because of Howard, Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, because of 2 Live Crew, Vanilla Ice, Expose, because of Coral Gables, because of earned swag and so many other reasons it is sick. 

UCF is guilty of unearned swag abuse.  If you think UCF's "brand" has more than 5% the value of Miami's, then you are delusional and this is why UCF will always be UCF.

There is no propping up of UCF by the media because nobody cares about UCF.  The 70k remote campus and commuting student body translates to a fan base that can hardly pack a 45k seat stadium. 

That same "meh" Texas team's departure from the Big XII (only 10 teams) which opened the door for UCF has now transformed the P5 into the P4 1/2.  There is no  Power 5 anymore.    

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Miami has a "brand" that the media props up because of 5 national titles and about 3-4 other national title games they played in; because of the 'Catholics vs Convicts' tussles with Notre Dame, because they made the Wishbone obsolete, because of "Wide Right," because of camouflage pants, because of Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, Jeremy Shockey, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, etc., because of The Orange Bowl, because of Howard, Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, because of 2 Live Crew, Vanilla Ice, Expose, because of Coral Gables, because of earned swag and so many other reasons it is sick. 

UCF is guilty of unearned swag abuse.  If you think UCF's "brand" has more than 5% the value of Miami's, then you are delusional and this is why UCF will always be UCF.

There is no propping up of UCF by the media because nobody cares about UCF.  The 70k remote campus and commuting student body translates to a fan base that can hardly pack a 45k seat stadium. 

That same "meh" Texas team's departure from the Big XII (only 10 teams) which opened the door for UCF has now transformed the P5 into the P4 1/2.  There is no  Power 5 anymore.    

“No one talks about UCF”.  That’s why ESPN just gave us our own documentary. Whatever. It’s fascinating you keep  championing those who’ve had a lousy product for years. It’s like Detroit in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. Did you ever work for GM?

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

“No one talks about UCF”.  That’s why ESPN just gave us our own documentary. Whatever. It’s fascinating you keep  championing those who’ve had a lousy product for years. It’s like Detroit in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. Did you ever work for GM?

..."a lousy product for years"...

do we need to review UCF's record over the past twenty years and who they've beaten and who they've lost to and then compare it to the backdrop of that program's history?  UCF loses every time compared to those programs.

UCF beat Auburn in 2017 and beat Baylor in 2013/14.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

..."a lousy product for years"...

do we need to review UCF's record over the past twenty years and who they've beaten and who they've lost to and then compare it to the backdrop of that program's history?  UCF loses every time compared to those programs.

UCF beat Auburn in 2017 and beat Baylor in 2013/14.

There you go, stuck in the past again. Stop looking backward and look forward like the young consumers do. 

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There you go, stuck in the past again. Stop looking backward and look forward like the young consumers do. 

yeah but that's your standard..."championing those that have had a lousy product for years"...which is what you said that I do.  If I supported UCF, I would be doing the same thing sans 2017/13, right? 

You make it sound like UCF was a top football power during the past five years or even ten years.  They beat Auburn in 2017.  They lost to LSU in 2018.  They didn't even win their division in 2020 or 2019 or 2016 and were 0-12 in 2015.  They shared the AAC as 3-way champ of AAC in 2014.  Their 2013 team that beat Baylor lost at home to South Carolina.  Before that, they were in Invasion USA, I mean Conference USA, so...well...you know...

I fail to see the reason for the hype.

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Such coaches do exist these days:

‘Luke Fickell shuts down USC rumors. "Grass is not always greener... It makes you realize what great fortunes you have to be building something."’

I guess Gus isn’t the only one. 

Right, Frosty and Heup?

So, you didn't reply to my last post which showed UCF the mirror.  That's perfectly fine.

There is nothing wrong with "building something."  And Luke Fickell is smart b/c he is imbedded in the Ohio/Midwest scene and has been for over a decade.

Frosty should have stayed at UCF, IMO.  He built something that turned heads and thought it would translate to Nebraska which has a different dynamic, especially since UN was now a B1G team playing a B1G schedule and not a Big XII schedule; and this was not Tom Osborne's Huskers either.  Frost is probably gonna get fired at UN soon too.  USC just axed Clay Helton...  

Heup continued what Frost started.  To his defense, KZ got hurt and he was the franchise player; they had to start Gabriel as a freshman.  He did a decent job in 2019 I think but 2020 was an off year, so no one know how he would have done things differently in 2021 because he left.

When you criticize these other programs to raise UCF up, you are saying that UCF is a top or desirable coaching job as well, which it's not.  Heup went to UT after 3 years; Frost went to UN after 2-3 years; O'Leary wasn't a "catch" with the drama that surrounded him b/c of the resume thing and getting GaTech on probation.  And Gus was not hired away from Auburn; he was a fired coach.   Just because someone was fired doesn't mean they aren't redeemable; that's not the point I'm making.  Until UCF hires a HC coach away from another big program, then they are not big time regardless of a bunch of wins over lesser teams.  

It's fine to be a fan and gung ho about the team, but sensationalism can only go so far especially when you dog team/schools that have actually done something..

Louie Ville tonight (if in Ohio, pronounces Louis Ville)

Papa Jphn's Stadium; a nice stadium actually.

Should be a good game.  Louisville is a fun town.

I can't predict the game because I just had two Fireball shots and I am not thinking straight.  I like Gus, so I think UCF should win.

Leagues aside, when you have a good QB and  good coach, that usually gives you a good edge in games.  I think UCF has both.

the media is salivating at the fact that Cincy beat IU on the road.  You would think they beat TOSU with all the hype.  they say Cincy is a virtual lock for The Playoff if they win out.  If UCF beats Cincy next month,, and depending on the divisions which I do not know- face off against them again and win again for the AAC CG, they may have a shot at a berth.  The Louisville loss was a pick 6 scenario and close; maybe the pollsters will become believers in Gus.

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days before posting it (an act punishable by death according to at least one of our posters but I’ll soldier on) and I think it’s safe to say that UCF has no reason to ponder “what if?” scenarios with Danny and Josh.

Danny is the architect of UCF Athletics and took us to a higher level across several sports that will remain his legacy over time. We owe a lot to Danny but successor Terry Mohajir has taken the baton and moved us ahead after just a few months on the job.

What we’ve learned over the years is that college football is as much about “who’s your daddy?” in the minds of the powers that be and the media as it is performance on the field. Where a team begins in the pre-season polls before a down is ever played often determines where a team ends up and mediocre teams often remain more highly ranked than they should as a result, even after 2 and 3 losses.

Fine, that’s the way it works. In that world, Danny made the pundits and coaches pay attention to UCF, often for the first time. He rates a statue in front of the Bounce House for that alone.

I disagree with Bianchi about Josh. I’m sure he’s a fine coach but he just never quite gelled with the program and one often got the feeling he was just going through the motions. That worked fine with the NC team Frosty left him for 2018, but after that there was an inexorable slide.

I don’t think Josh was sad to leave (a big raise no doubt helped), but I don’t think most of Knight Nation was all that sad to see him go (and the fact it led to a great payout for us is a big bonus).

In the end, they made their decision and we’ve all moved on. It has worked out OK and left us ready to… Charge On! to the Big XII.

After Vols get run over by Gators, do Danny White, Josh Heupel regret leaving Big 12-bound UCF? | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-gators-tennessee-vols-josh-heupel-danny-white-mike-bianchi-20210926-dijoyekbcfg3hei45hlte36kba-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days before posting it (an act punishable by death according to at least one of our posters but I’ll soldier on) and I think it’s safe to say that UCF has no reason to ponder “what if?” scenarios with Danny and Josh.

Danny is the architect of UCF Athletics and took us to a higher level across several sports that will remain his legacy over time. We owe a lot to Danny but successor Terry Mohajir has taken the baton and moved us ahead after just a few months on the job.

What we’ve learned over the years is that college football is as much about “who’s your daddy?” in the minds of the powers that be and the media as it is performance on the field. Where a team begins in the pre-season polls before a down is ever played often determines where a team ends up and mediocre teams often remain more highly ranked than they should as a result, even after 2 and 3 losses.

Fine, that’s the way it works. In that world, Danny made the pundits and coaches pay attention to UCF, often for the first time. He rates a statue in front of the Bounce House for that alone.

I disagree with Bianchi about Josh. I’m sure he’s a fine coach but he just never quite gelled with the program and one often got the feeling he was just going through the motions. That worked fine with the NC team Frosty left him for 2018, but after that there was an inexorable slide.

I don’t think Josh was sad to leave (a big raise no doubt helped), but I don’t think most of Knight Nation was all that sad to see him go (and the fact it led to a great payout for us is a big bonus).

In the end, they made their decision and we’ve all moved on. It has worked out OK and left us ready to… Charge On! to the Big XII.

After Vols get run over by Gators, do Danny White, Josh Heupel regret leaving Big 12-bound UCF? | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-gators-tennessee-vols-josh-heupel-danny-white-mike-bianchi-20210926-dijoyekbcfg3hei45hlte36kba-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Somebody commented on Danny White really turning it up ala booster money for UCF.  I didn't know that; that's good work for an AD.  I never disagreed with his efforts to get UCF recognized; my commentary was merely that in a P5 world where those schools have an SOS to contend with that on average is light years tougher than UCF's average SOS, you can't expect to have equal footing with those bigger programs/older schools, and, yes, bigger schools (compare campus sizes) to demand a 1 and 1.

Josh had the misfortune of KZ getting injured.  But, KZ was such a good player, KZ to UCF was like Crab Legs to FSU, and Jimbo, or even Tebow to Meyer, or Laptop to Chizik and Auburn.  The marquee is so good, that when he leaves, you see a performance drop off and then the HC gets the blame.

Just b/c UF beat UT, that's no reason for Josh and White to regret leaving UCF.  UT had to replace like 20+ players in the offseason; I'm surprised they're as good as they are which is a real testament to Josh and his staff's (White's) ability to have pulled it all together like they did; that, plus I believe an NCAA investigation.

I never intended to go toe to toe with you over comments lauding UCF; rather, I saw them as an invitation to retort or add a contrasting viewpoint (or a reality check, LOL).

The pollster system takes into account returning starters, star ratings of recruits, past season performance, schedule, to get an initial poll and rank the Top 50 teams.  All those factors come into play.  Granted, UGA prides itself on it's recruiting class strength every year and thinks they're God's Chosen Program, yet they always seem to choke.  All choking aside, they need something "tangible" to use as a factor in rating these teams.  The NFL does it in a similar way based on talent.

UCF did prove pollsters wrong by, as condescending pundits have said, by "overachieving."  Shoot, I've had to bear Tennessee fans slamming Spurrier for "doing more with less" for years (granted, not since the Urban Meyer days did I hear that).  Now, UT has been buried into pompousness submission for around 15 years when it comes to trash talking UF.  Amazing to witness how that is even possible year in and year out.  The same is happening to FSU...perhaps Miami too.  UF is very fortunate they have good leadership. 

But UCF can use this as an opportunity to gain traction in the state.  If the Big XII survives, UCF can use the move to springboard to another level; but they need to do it quick.  Gus has to have a big year to start it off right and big, otherwise UCF may be viewed as a flash in the pan program.  I think Gus is a better coach than Josh; definitely more experienced by a lot.  The loss to Louisville was just one of those things that happens that can getcha in the waning moments of a game; beyond that, it was a toe to toe contest. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I totally missed this game and I don't know how:  Louisville beat FSU in Tally on Saturday pretty handedly.  Wow.  FSU is now 0-4.

So, back to UCF vs Louisville:  it was a close last seconds loss ON THE ROAD.

think about that...

And think about what UCF might have done with the same resources FSU and Louisville get from the ACC while UCF is working with the payout from the American.

Even more interesting, despite the ACC payout, FSU is all but broke. What are they spending their money on?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

And think about what UCF might have done with the same resources FSU and Louisville get from the ACC while UCF is working with the payout from the American.

Even more interesting, despite the ACC payout, FSU is all but broke. What are they spending their money on?

what's really interesting is that UCF has a med school and a teaching hospital  next to it.  FSU's med school is really only years 1 and 2 in Tally, and years 3 and 4 split among two or more cities in Fla, Daytona being one of them.  That's not a med school...

As for football, I don't know what's up with them.  If you break down a single game, you can identify a couple of things that if changed, could translate to a win.  But, at the end of the day, nobody is intimidated by FSU anymore and won't be ever again, so teams from non-traditional schools like Wake go in there and manhandle them.  Financially I think their athletic department has been in the red for a few years straight now.  

Maybe I was too hard on UCF before with the stadium...in that...Get it built, create revenue stream, and build from there...

UCF really needed to have FSU on their schedule this year... Gus could have gotten revenge and UCF could really elevate within the state.  USF I believe played FSU one year and beat them.  I know I was bummed UF couldn't play them last year.  I can't wait for this year's game.

• Like 1

Matt Wright, arguably UCF’s best kicker ever  (certainly in terms of points), has been signed with the Jags’ practice squad.

Charge On!

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/09/27/jaguars-vs-bengals-josh-lambos-days-may-numbered-jags-work-out-kickers/5843177001/

From The Florida Times Union 

• Like 1