Orlando's Hometown National Champions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what you’re missing is that just about every program has a spark that changes everything. It’s what happens after that spark that matters. When did football at The U ever matter before Ho

Ya'll should both just combine and absorb Florida Polytechnic University as it was originally planned, call yourself University of South Central Florida Knighty-Bulls and build a giant Taj Mahal Stadi

Congrats to the UCF Knights for their 2017 National Championship!  13-0, what a season.

Posted Images

Bianchi gets the quote of the week that sums up the demise of the War On I4 perfectly:

”The UCF Knights are in the Power 5 because they built their program with brick and mortar. The USF Bulls are not because they tried to build a program with smoke and mirrors.“

From The Sentinel 

29 minutes ago, orange87 said:

And of course the UConn football team continues to be an embarrassment.

It’s OK - they have one of the best WBB teams in the country.

Yankees just don’t get college football (sort of like Floridians with MLB).

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s OK - they have one of the best WBB teams in the country.

Yankees just don’t get college football (sort of like Floridians with MLB).

Us nutmeggers love our lady Huskies. The men's basketball team has been pretty solid as well over the years. Now if someone can just get the NHL back in Hartford, they'd be the most popular person in Connecticut.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

Our Knights are #26 in this week’s AP poll and #28 in the Coaches’ (moving up in both). If we get past Louisville next Friday (7:30pm ESPN), we should crack the Top 25 for the first time this season.

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

“I’m still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.

Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played 

Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003

Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.“

If you’re under 30, you remember UCF as being better than Miami. Talk about being kept afloat on past glories. The worst part is the media has been responsible for propping them up all this time.

Every year, we hear how Texas and Miami are back. Every year, they are just meh. Welcome to, ummm, Power 5 football?

Are Tennessee and FSU far behind? Maybe South Florida can aspire to be them!

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“I’m still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.

Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played 

Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003

Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.“

If you’re under 30, you remember UCF as being better than Miami. Talk about being kept afloat on past glories. The worst part is the media has been responsible for propping them up all this time.

Every year, we hear how Texas and Miami are back. Every year, they are just meh. Welcome to, ummm, Power 5 football?

Are Tennessee and FSU far behind? Maybe South Florida can aspire to be them!

Miami has a "brand" that the media props up because of 5 national titles and about 3-4 other national title games they played in; because of the 'Catholics vs Convicts' tussles with Notre Dame, because they made the Wishbone obsolete, because of "Wide Right," because of camouflage pants, because of Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, Jeremy Shockey, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, etc., because of The Orange Bowl, because of Howard, Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, because of 2 Live Crew, Vanilla Ice, Expose, because of Coral Gables, because of earned swag and so many other reasons it is sick. 

UCF is guilty of unearned swag abuse.  If you think UCF's "brand" has more than 5% the value of Miami's, then you are delusional and this is why UCF will always be UCF.

There is no propping up of UCF by the media because nobody cares about UCF.  The 70k remote campus and commuting student body translates to a fan base that can hardly pack a 45k seat stadium. 

That same "meh" Texas team's departure from the Big XII (only 10 teams) which opened the door for UCF has now transformed the P5 into the P4 1/2.  There is no  Power 5 anymore.    

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Miami has a "brand" that the media props up because of 5 national titles and about 3-4 other national title games they played in; because of the 'Catholics vs Convicts' tussles with Notre Dame, because they made the Wishbone obsolete, because of "Wide Right," because of camouflage pants, because of Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, Jeremy Shockey, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, etc., because of The Orange Bowl, because of Howard, Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, because of 2 Live Crew, Vanilla Ice, Expose, because of Coral Gables, because of earned swag and so many other reasons it is sick. 

UCF is guilty of unearned swag abuse.  If you think UCF's "brand" has more than 5% the value of Miami's, then you are delusional and this is why UCF will always be UCF.

There is no propping up of UCF by the media because nobody cares about UCF.  The 70k remote campus and commuting student body translates to a fan base that can hardly pack a 45k seat stadium. 

That same "meh" Texas team's departure from the Big XII (only 10 teams) which opened the door for UCF has now transformed the P5 into the P4 1/2.  There is no  Power 5 anymore.    

“No one talks about UCF”.  That’s why ESPN just gave us our own documentary. Whatever. It’s fascinating you keep  championing those who’ve had a lousy product for years. It’s like Detroit in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. Did you ever work for GM?

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

“No one talks about UCF”.  That’s why ESPN just gave us our own documentary. Whatever. It’s fascinating you keep  championing those who’ve had a lousy product for years. It’s like Detroit in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. Did you ever work for GM?

..."a lousy product for years"...

do we need to review UCF's record over the past twenty years and who they've beaten and who they've lost to and then compare it to the backdrop of that program's history?  UCF loses every time compared to those programs.

UCF beat Auburn in 2017 and beat Baylor in 2013/14.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

..."a lousy product for years"...

do we need to review UCF's record over the past twenty years and who they've beaten and who they've lost to and then compare it to the backdrop of that program's history?  UCF loses every time compared to those programs.

UCF beat Auburn in 2017 and beat Baylor in 2013/14.

There you go, stuck in the past again. Stop looking backward and look forward like the young consumers do. 

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There you go, stuck in the past again. Stop looking backward and look forward like the young consumers do. 

yeah but that's your standard..."championing those that have had a lousy product for years"...which is what you said that I do.  If I supported UCF, I would be doing the same thing sans 2017/13, right? 

You make it sound like UCF was a top football power during the past five years or even ten years.  They beat Auburn in 2017.  They lost to LSU in 2018.  They didn't even win their division in 2020 or 2019 or 2016 and were 0-12 in 2015.  They shared the AAC as 3-way champ of AAC in 2014.  Their 2013 team that beat Baylor lost at home to South Carolina.  Before that, they were in Invasion USA, I mean Conference USA, so...well...you know...

I fail to see the reason for the hype.

Such coaches do exist these days:

‘Luke Fickell shuts down USC rumors. "Grass is not always greener... It makes you realize what great fortunes you have to be building something."’

I guess Gus isn’t the only one. 

Right, Frosty and Heup?

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Such coaches do exist these days:

‘Luke Fickell shuts down USC rumors. "Grass is not always greener... It makes you realize what great fortunes you have to be building something."’

I guess Gus isn’t the only one. 

Right, Frosty and Heup?

So, you didn't reply to my last post which showed UCF the mirror.  That's perfectly fine.

There is nothing wrong with "building something."  And Luke Fickell is smart b/c he is imbedded in the Ohio/Midwest scene and has been for over a decade.

Frosty should have stayed at UCF, IMO.  He built something that turned heads and thought it would translate to Nebraska which has a different dynamic, especially since UN was now a B1G team playing a B1G schedule and not a Big XII schedule; and this was not Tom Osborne's Huskers either.  Frost is probably gonna get fired at UN soon too.  USC just axed Clay Helton...  

Heup continued what Frost started.  To his defense, KZ got hurt and he was the franchise player; they had to start Gabriel as a freshman.  He did a decent job in 2019 I think but 2020 was an off year, so no one know how he would have done things differently in 2021 because he left.

When you criticize these other programs to raise UCF up, you are saying that UCF is a top or desirable coaching job as well, which it's not.  Heup went to UT after 3 years; Frost went to UN after 2-3 years; O'Leary wasn't a "catch" with the drama that surrounded him b/c of the resume thing and getting GaTech on probation.  And Gus was not hired away from Auburn; he was a fired coach.   Just because someone was fired doesn't mean they aren't redeemable; that's not the point I'm making.  Until UCF hires a HC coach away from another big program, then they are not big time regardless of a bunch of wins over lesser teams.  

It's fine to be a fan and gung ho about the team, but sensationalism can only go so far especially when you dog team/schools that have actually done something..

Louie Ville tonight (if in Ohio, pronounces Louis Ville)

Papa Jphn's Stadium; a nice stadium actually.

Should be a good game.  Louisville is a fun town.

I can't predict the game because I just had two Fireball shots and I am not thinking straight.  I like Gus, so I think UCF should win.

Leagues aside, when you have a good QB and  good coach, that usually gives you a good edge in games.  I think UCF has both.

watched the game.  I predicted a Loss 4 pages back in this thread.  But, at the end, I thought UCF would pull it off until the INT.  I don't blame Gus for calling a pass play; go for the jugular.