Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

The kids will be OK - As Texas and Oklahoma show they’re far from invincible (someone please stuff a Whataburger in the mouth of the first sports pundit next August to declare “Texas is back!” ) while they head to the SEC, the new Big XII is showing more firepower than expected:

The 'new' Big 12 is setting up nicely

“When Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby got the message that Texas and Oklahoma were departing the conference for the SEC in July, there's no way he could have known that the future could look this bright come November. 

On Saturday, Oklahoma's six-year reign of dominance came to an end. Elsewhere, No. 24 Houston cemented its spot in the top 25 and could play spoiler against No. 4 Cincinnati in the AAC Championship Game next week. While the league will miss Oklahoma, the Big 12 instead adds the Bearcats, a projected playoff participant, in its place. Texas, conversely, missed just its fourth bowl game since 1998 as it suffered through their worst losing streak since 1956 under first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian. Even in a down season, UCF found its way to eight wins under its first-year coach Gus Malzahn. 

While Oklahoma and Texas are still the only programs in the Big 12 to win multiple national championships, the top-to-bottom football quality of the new Big 12 suddenly seems to be in a strong position. With Baylor, Oklahoma State and Cincinnati on the precipice of locking up their highly-regarded coaches long term, the on-field future appears bright for the new league. 

Granted, the $100 million question -- literally -- is how the broadcast networks see the Big 12 heading forward. There's no guarantee that power-brokers in the sport value winning football (shoutout to the Longhorns). However, the league having multiple apparent playoff contenders in the coming years at least gives the Big 12 a solid baseline.”

Charge On!

From CBS Sports 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-winners-losers-overreactions-for-week-13-middle-class-gives-playoff-race-new-blood/

Edited by spenser1058

Woohoo! Our Knights take on the Gators in the Gasparilla Bowl at RayJay on Dec 23 at 7pm. Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-football-gasperilla-bowl-florida-gators-20211205-oshbeu3oqrgutcyvnk6ugjcauu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I’ve often commented that the Temple Terrace Cows are emulating the foibles of Da U as Miami tries to relive its glory days from decades back (although you have to give the ‘Canes credit - they really ARE in South Florida…).

Bianchi runs through just how dysfunctional the school in Coral Gables is:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-miami-canes-mario-cristobal-manny-diaz-mike-bianchi-column-20211206-swvrpzzrovanfi2zlxqsmi3uoq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2021 at 4:28 PM, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! Our Knights take on the Gators in the Gasparilla Bowl at RayJay on Dec 23 at 7pm. Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-football-gasperilla-bowl-florida-gators-20211205-oshbeu3oqrgutcyvnk6ugjcauu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

yes I'm still alive wallowing in the mud.  UCF has a great opportunity here.  Gus can get revenge for Auburn's 2019 loss to UF.  If UF plays like they did against FSU, they should win.  If they don't, UCF wins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

down...but not out... thx.

is Gabriel still with the team or does he leave pre-bowl-- and...why is he leaving?  did he get benched?

He’s gone. There were a variety of factors including that he and Gus weren’t a great fit although they both tried hard through the Louisville game. He was very tight with Jeff Lebby and word is Lebby recruited him under the table to Ole Miss (although Lebby may head to Oklahoma so who knows). DG has always listened to a lot of people (KZ talked him into UCF despite other options) and I suspect in the era of the transfer portal he was getting offers from all over.

Hopefully, it works out for him but I think we’ll be OK once we get past these blasted injuries that took out too many of our key players.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

He’s gone. There were a variety of factors including that he and Gus weren’t a great fit although they both tried hard through the Louisville game. He was very tight with Jeff Lebby and word is Lebby recruited him under the table to Ole Miss (although Lebby may head to Oklahoma so who knows). DG has always listened to a lot of people (KZ talked him into UCF despite other options) and I suspect in the era of the transfer portal he was getting offers from all over.

Hopefully, it works out for him but I think we’ll be OK once we get past these blasted injuries that took out too many of our key players.

yep...the injury bug...

SOS was a little fortunate.  Most all of the big stars rarely if ever got hurt except for Earnest Graham in 2001- that injury continued a domino effect that led to Zook.

Not even Tebow really got hurt for long.

Since Tebow, Driskell, Brantley, Murphy, Del Rio, Franks, AR ( and a couple of others) all got hurt from 2010-2021.  That's a major QB every 9 or so games getting hurt.  I also think Harris might have gotten hurt too (2014?).  The Gators had had the QB IR bug too much during that span.  They also got lucky with Leak (health-wise).  But Leak became a starter in 03 when Ingle Martin got hurt.

That's what happens.  A lot of seasons go south when the continuity of the offense gets upset.

As for Gabriel, dunno...he's good...and I think Rattler is transferring from OU...so  who knows.  Too much movement in the CFB right now...

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 7:46 PM, spenser1058 said:

I’ve often commented that the Temple Terrace Cows are emulating the foibles of Da U as Miami tries to relive its glory days from decades back (although you have to give the ‘Canes credit - they really ARE in South Florida…).

Bianchi runs through just how dysfunctional the school in Coral Gables is:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-miami-canes-mario-cristobal-manny-diaz-mike-bianchi-column-20211206-swvrpzzrovanfi2zlxqsmi3uoq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

so...Da U hired Cristobal.  I wonder.....will he be a difference maker as they hope he'll be...

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so...Da U hired Cristobal.  I wonder.....will he be a difference maker as they hope he'll be...

Remember they wanted Manny Diaz so bad they snatched him from Temple just as he got to Philly? Maybe this time is different (Cristobal’s daddy-in-law is a booster and has more money than just about anyone in Miami - he’s talking about an OCS or, should we say, a nearby stadium -finally - out of his own pocket). But they’ve been saying that for decades down there. One reason Howard S. left was because they wouldn’t commit to facilities. 

What’s really fun about this is that the “west coast branch” of Da U, where the Cows roam, are having a similar discussion about facilities.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Remember they wanted Manny Diaz so bad they snatched him from Temple just as he got to Philly? Maybe this time is different (Cristobal’s daddy-in-law is a booster and has more money than just about anyone in Miami - he’s talking about an OCS or, should we say, a nearby stadium -finally - out of his own pocket). But they’ve been saying that for decades down there. One reason Howard S. left was because they wouldn’t commit to facilities. 

What’s really fun about this is that the “west coast branch” of Da U, where the Cows roam, are having a similar discussion about facilities.

That would be impressive if they could build an OCS.  But I wonder if Hard Rock would cut them a deal not to leave Joe Robbie.

USF needed a Billy Napier with a big $$$ commitment. If he could do there what he did at Lafayette, they would be a playah.  Notice how I said ULL and not UF...he's making some hires and losing recruits.  I wonder what Mario is gonna do at Da U  in that respect.

I don't think Miami has the room for an OCS...

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

That would be impressive if they could build an OCS.  But I wonder if Hard Rock would cut them a deal not to leave Joe Robbie.

USF needed a Billy Napier with a big $$$ commitment. If he could do there what he did at Lafayette, they would be a playah.  Notice how I said ULL and not UF...he's making some hires and losing recruits.  I wonder what Mario is gonna do at Da U  in that respect.

I don't think Miami has the room for an OCS...

They don’t- the plan floated by the boosters is to buy and demolish Coral Gables High. Only problem is the school board just spent a boatload of cash renovating it and it goes back to 1950 so the preservationists will grumble. Coral Gables is like WP (only more so) and all the rich folks there won’t hesitate to complain about that idea.

The Gasparilla Bowl between UCF and UF has sold out, even after opening the upper bowl.

Usually, they restrict it to 40000 tickets but the upper bowl takes capacity to 65000. Standing-room tickets are coming.

Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-florida-gators-gasparilla-bowl-tickets-sold-out-20211210-i4rse4umwnguxnizslkajhftme-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The sellout (in just a few days) of the Gasparilla Bowl, normally just a mediocre affair where they don’t even open the upper bowl, demonstrates just how stupid certain teams in the state were to hide from UCF the last few years.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-gators-ucf-gasparilla-bowl-mike-bianchi-commentary-20211211-kukulszxyfh4nct7vo5335ypoi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Bianchi nails it.

• Haha 1

Coach D and his men improve to 7-2 with their first conference win of the season. They dismantled Temple 65-48. 

Charge On!

(Maybe that’s why the DeVos family hates public education so much - here’s a state university hoops team running circles around the Magic. Just a thought. One thing’s for sure - if UCF ever had as many losing teams as the DeVos clan, AD T.Mo and President Cartwright would clean up that mess in a hurry.)

Edited by spenser1058

Early Signing Day has come and gone and not only does it look like UCF has its best recruiting class ever, they also ranked ahead of UF and Da U. If you haven’t yet, it’s time to hop on the Gus Bus…

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-ucf-recruiting-gus-malzahn-mike-bianchi-column-20211216-dufffzikejhbtjpfyojluufpke-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Charge On!