Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

46 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Many many things since I last opened this topic, and I don't feel like multi-quoting so here comes rambling thoughts.

As someone that went to Ohio State, I have my biases, but I'm a strange sports fan in that I'm able to be very objective.  With that said, the first time I stepped onto UCF's campus for a game back in 2012, I was in.  I *LOVE* the fact that there *AREN'T* traditions yet.  It's so cool that everyone is getting to develop these that are gonna be passed down.  Is it the experience I would have wanted as a college student?  No.  But is it super cool to see?  Yes.

UCF has quickly become my Number 2 school.  I try to go to at least one game a year when it doesn't overlap with travels or a Buckeye game, and of course I go to as many tailgates as possible (gotta keep my reputation on these boards, right?).  Last Friday was my one for the year, and it was so heartening to see such a filled stadium.  When I started going years ago, seat and section didn't matter.  A group I know all has seats "around" each other, but everyone was just standing together.  Not anymore.  Now after TDs, to celebrate, they have to go up and down the row because all the seats are filled.

I'm a bit of a purist.  To me, the original BCS that got changed after the undefeated Auburn season in 04 was the best.  40% human judgement, 40% objectivity, 20% "quality" wins.  College Football is meant to be hard.  I don't like playoffs.  They introduce too much "luck".  I was a history major, I don't really like the concept of "Any Given Sunday".  To me, the Patriots are the 07 champions.  18-1 > 13-7.

Bashing on UF for UT-Martin is silly.  There's PLENTY of P5 teams to rag on for SoS, but UF and FSU aren't in that group.  They have a premiere OOC game every year.  You shouldn't be expected to have 2 when playing in a P5 conference.  In fact, that's basically asking to lose games.  People may not like the "cupcake" games, but remember.  There is no preseason in College Football.  Playing a premiere game in week one is downright stupid in my mind.

Yeah, it isn't UCF's fault they have a hard time scheduling.  It's a stupid argument to make.

The biggest thing that screwed UCF was the NCAA granting a waiver to allow the Big 12 to have a Conf Champ game with only 10 teams.  Had that waiver not been issued, the Big 12 would HAVE to expand to remain competitive... and the short list is basically UCF / USF / Memphis / Cinci / Boise.

It's unfortunate things went the way they did, but keep being awesome and eventually the glass ceiling will break.

Fyi, UF didn't play UT-Martin.  UF played UT.  Maybe they played like UT-Martin...but anyway...

Both Florida and Texas have over the years have threatened legislative action when legacy schools don't want to play up and comers. Florida last did that to make UF play FSU. If Gainesville (and Tally for that matter) keep being incalcitrant they're going to run into the same problem as the newer state schools pick up clout in the legislature. Better to come up with their own solution.

The choice in scheduling argument is a fallacy anyway.   Hypothetically, UCF could schedule UF and FSU in the same year and if that year was 2017 or 2018 everyone would say “ho hum”  

Imagine if the NFL did that.  Sorry Seattle, your division was terrible this year.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The choice in scheduling argument is a fallacy anyway.   Hypothetically, UCF could schedule UF and FSU in the same year and if that year was 2017 or 2018 everyone would say “ho hum”  

Imagine if the NFL did that.  Sorry Seattle, your division was terrible this year.   

And the SOS argument also was fallacy last year. Alabama and UCF also played the same number of ranked top 25 teams during the regular season.

If UCF completes the year undefeated and doesn't get invited, I predict a lawsuit, and the expansion of the playoffs will come sooner rather then later. Adding just one set of game to the playoffs solves all the issues, including the issue where the SEC conference loser still manages to get in over other P5 conference champions. An 8 team playoff, with slots reserved for all 5 P5 conference championship game winners, the top ranked G5 conference championship winner, and the remaining 2 slots given to the next 4 highest ranked teams that did not make a conference championship game, or other G5 conference champions not already selected. Alabama also wouldn't have got to skip a game everyone else had to play under this system, and the conference championship game will serve as an extra round, really making it into a 16 game playoff without adding more then a single game for any team.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t suggest our overall SOS is better than Alabama’s.  I’m just saying that it should be a factor because of how subjective and biased it is in general.   

Just expand the thing to 8-12 and have a caveat that any undefeated FBS team gets an auto bid as well as any P5 conf champions and the rest are at large.   

17 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Many many things since I last opened this topic, and I don't feel like multi-quoting so here comes rambling thoughts.

As someone that went to Ohio State, I have my biases, but I'm a strange sports fan in that I'm able to be very objective.  With that said, the first time I stepped onto UCF's campus for a game back in 2012, I was in.  I *LOVE* the fact that there *AREN'T* traditions yet.  It's so cool that everyone is getting to develop these that are gonna be passed down.  Is it the experience I would have wanted as a college student?  No.  But is it super cool to see?  Yes.

UCF has quickly become my Number 2 school.  I try to go to at least one game a year when it doesn't overlap with travels or a Buckeye game, and of course I go to as many tailgates as possible (gotta keep my reputation on these boards, right?).  Last Friday was my one for the year, and it was so heartening to see such a filled stadium.  When I started going years ago, seat and section didn't matter.  A group I know all has seats "around" each other, but everyone was just standing together.  Not anymore.  Now after TDs, to celebrate, they have to go up and down the row because all the seats are filled.

I'm a bit of a purist.  To me, the original BCS that got changed after the undefeated Auburn season in 04 was the best.  40% human judgement, 40% objectivity, 20% "quality" wins.  College Football is meant to be hard.  I don't like playoffs.  They introduce too much "luck".  I was a history major, I don't really like the concept of "Any Given Sunday".  To me, the Patriots are the 07 champions.  18-1 > 13-7.

Bashing on UF for UT-Martin is silly.  There's PLENTY of P5 teams to rag on for SoS, but UF and FSU aren't in that group.  They have a premiere OOC game every year.  You shouldn't be expected to have 2 when playing in a P5 conference.  In fact, that's basically asking to lose games.  People may not like the "cupcake" games, but remember.  There is no preseason in College Football.  Playing a premiere game in week one is downright stupid in my mind.

Yeah, it isn't UCF's fault they have a hard time scheduling.  It's a stupid argument to make.

The biggest thing that screwed UCF was the NCAA granting a waiver to allow the Big 12 to have a Conf Champ game with only 10 teams.  Had that waiver not been issued, the Big 12 would HAVE to expand to remain competitive... and the short list is basically UCF / USF / Memphis / Cinci / Boise.

It's unfortunate things went the way they did, but keep being awesome and eventually the glass ceiling will break.

The current playoff doesn't work - although I do think an 8 team playoff makes sense. It's the closest thing to a real playoff you can have in FBS. Each of the 5 P5 conference champions, the best of the G5 and then 2 wild cards. Once you get there, I don't think you can argue whoever wins that can truly be called the "National Champion". 

^^

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747283-college-football-rankings-2017-bleacher-reports-final-regular-season-top-25

You guys keep focusing on Alabama last year, BUT...  look at the final rankings post conference championship games.  What about Ohio State?  It's not like UCF was No.5 looking into the Top 4 from outside; Ohio State was also ahead of them in the polls.

There were 5 teams ahead of UCF in the polls last year, and the Playoff only takes the Top 4, and it is not and has never been a UCF vs Alabama and each team's credentials analysis anywhere in the NCAA, except in Orlando.

20 hours ago, aent said:

And the SOS argument also was fallacy last year. Alabama and UCF also played the same number of ranked top 25 teams during the regular season.

Fallacy?  Really? Here is the reality:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-01-08

No. 6 UCF's SOS in 2017 was No. 54.  The strengths of schedule of the Top 5 teams ahead of UCF (OU, Bama, Clemson, UGA, TOSU) were No. 7 or higher  in the NCAA in 2017.  Not No.53 or higher; No.7 or higher.

23 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

That works both ways though.  The big argument against Alabama last year was they played no one... They played FSU... who just happened to suck

"Big argument" by whom?  See above link.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I'm not sure when the 2019 SOS rankings will come out, but for this year, 2018, UF's SOS is No.54 (which I thought was pretty low for UF) until I saw UCF's: UCF's SOS in 2018 is No.120

UF is playing Miami next year also (as well as UT-Martin) among their non-conference opponents which also includes FSU.  Based on program strength (FSU & Miami), I think UF's 2019 non-conference slate is going to be sufficiently tough.

I guess this has all been said before, but this is from the CFP Director..."UCF got full consideration from the committee last year. I believe the committee at the end of the season had ranked UCF higher than the sportswriters and the coaches had. So they got every consideration and they had a wonderful season."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24815987/cfp-director-bill-hancock-says-there-path-ucf-knights-reach-playoff

14 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I guess this has all been said before, but this is from the CFP Director..."UCF got full consideration from the committee last year. I believe the committee at the end of the season had ranked UCF higher than the sportswriters and the coaches had. So they got every consideration and they had a wonderful season."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24815987/cfp-director-bill-hancock-says-there-path-ucf-knights-reach-playoff

And his favorite book is "Candide."

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From Google: Tomorrow's game against Pitt at 3:30pm will be the Knights' first official sellout this season at the Bounce House (last week we unofficially hit capacity vs. the Lane Train.)

Charge On!

I'm interested in that unofficially hit capacity.  That's some interesting math or there were A LOT of people never in their seats.  With that said, it was pretty full, so good on fans/alumni/students for supporting.

Is it still free for students?  I heard that at one point, but never did any research.

56 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm interested in that unofficially hit capacity.  That's some interesting math or there were A LOT of people never in their seats.  With that said, it was pretty full, so good on fans/alumni/students for supporting.

Is it still free for students?  I heard that at one point, but never did any research.

There is student seating available (the per credit hour's athletic fee has been horrendous to try to make up for the  fundraising shortfalls of a non-P5 team) and even the possibility of students bringing guests. That will likely see changes now as they begin to fill up seats.

A lot of times, of course, corporate seats are sold in advance and declared sold even though no one shows up. While true believers and even students would have an interest in FAU (lots of students are from south Florida), a lot of the casual corporate crowd may have had no idea just how competitive the Lane Train could be.

It will be interesting to watch how many actually appear for Pitt, our only regular season P5 contest thanks to Florence.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There is student seating available (the per credit hour's athletic fee has been horrendous to try to make up for the  fundraising shortfalls of a non-P5 team) and even the possibility of students bringing guests. That will likely see changes now as they begin to fill up seats.

Student tickets are free/included in tuition and based on availability there is student guest tickets, but none were available for today's game.

Another win, shutting down the ACC team/Pitt is the most dominant manner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aent said:

Student tickets are free/included in tuition and based on availability there is student guest tickets, but none were available for today's game.

Another win, shutting down the ACC team/Pitt is the most dominant manner.

But how can that be? Only P5 teams in big boy pants are good enough! (Finebaum said so, right?) I get so confused.

Oh well, that takes the streak to 17. On to SMU and back to conference play next week.

A tip of the helmet and a rousing chorus of "We Are the Boys" to jrs as the Gators scored the upset in Starkville and beat #23 Miss State 13-6.

From YouTube

GOOOOO GATORS!

Sadly, Coach Frosty had another bad day, losing to Purdue and going 0-4 on the season.

If we have any 'Noles in the group, they did slide past Louisville. A Tomahawk Chop to FSU!

The U handily disposed of Chapel Hill Thursday night and we're waiting on the Lane Train to dispense with MTSU.

FIU had no problem with Arkansas-Pine Bluff and the Bulls were off this week.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Bianchi compares what type of program Pitt produces with $27 mil from the ACC vs. UCF's program with $2 million from the American.

So who's the better investment, all you good capitalists out there?

Memo to CFB Playoff Committee: Did you see UCF dismantle Power 5 Pitt?
http://bit.ly/2IvGUxP

From the Sentinel

Update: Turns out the Lane Train sputtered again and lost to MTSU 25-24. While UCF keeps being the "little engine that could," climbing over teams from whatever conference is set in front of them, FAU has some work to do to win in C-USA. 

Meanwhile, when presented with a Big 10 team last year, UCF won; when it was an SEC team, the Knights won; now it's an ACC team and the Knights won. I think we call that consistency.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2018/09/29/mtsu-football-middle-tennessee-florida-atlantic-lane-kiffin/1411598002/

From the Tennessean

Edited by spenser1058

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bianchi compares what type of program Pitt produces with $27 mil from the ACC vs. UCF's program with $2 million from the American.

So who's the better investment, all you good capitalists out there?

Memo to CFB Playoff Committee: Did you see UCF dismantle Power 5 Pitt?
http://bit.ly/2IvGUxP

From the Sentinel

Well, I see your point that UCF seemingly has done more with less resources.

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

All hail, Florida, hail!

Yep.  Looks like Mullen is the real deal.  He’s gotten Franks to play smarter.  Grantham has the D playing with Top 5 stats and play.  I predicted that MSU’s loss of Mullen and adjusting to a new game plan would work to UF’s advantage coupled with UF’s new game plan which is light years ahead of last year’s lack of a sound game plan and direction.

• Like 1

While much of the FBS is seeing declining attendance (those P5 conferences with underwhelming teams, you know,) our Knights are surging at the Bounce House.

It seems the students especially are embracing their Hometown National Champions. It's a long way from when the t-shirts seen on campus were more likely to be from Gainesville or Tally than our nascent team. Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-sp-ucf-football-notes-0929-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel