Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

UCF Athletics has released projected costs for the expansion of the Bounce House and other related projects:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-football-proposed-stadium-expansion-terry-mohajir-20220519-pmdqp5m7jng6nnvbdor7csgwru-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Due to removing some current seating to add upgrades and club amenities for upscale fans/corporate supporters, the Bounce House will net about 1500 additional seats or about a 3.3% increase.

Charge On!

Per OBJ, https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/05/19/ucf-football-campus-construction-orlando-florida.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Those projects include:

McNamara Cove: This would include a $5.81 million "recovery river" southwest of the stadium, as well as cold and hot pools for football players.
Parking Lot E2 expansion and enhancement: This would include a new $4.36 million plaza leading up to the stadium and tailgate areas near McNamara Cove.
Relocation of a football practice field: This $4.74 million project would move the east football practice field to vacant land to make room for McNamara Cove.
Football stadium south tower: This would include the removal of 4,600 bench seats for 1,050 seatback club seats. A new tower will include offices for football, as well as a donor club and a club lodge. That portion has a total cost of $60.09 million.
Wayne Densch Sports Center renovation: With the move of the football office, the project would expand some of the the player spaces into existing space, including locker rooms, athletic training areas and student-athlete meeting spaces. The project is estimated at $20.26 million
Football stadium north seating deck and concourse: The project would add roughly 5,000 bench seats for students, along with an enhanced concourse to connect those seats with restrooms and concessions areas. That portion of the project is estimated at $29.76 million. The project would represent a 3.32% increase of stadium seating capacity to 46,490.

Our Knights beat Michigan AGAIN, much more convincingly today, 9-4.

The Knights Softball team moves on to their first NCAA Super Regionals next weekend in Norman, Oklahoma, to take on the No. 1 Sooners (52-2) in a best-of-three series for the spot in the Women’s College World Series.

Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-central-florida-orlando-knights-ncaa-softball-regional-final-20220523-j65n7rrinfaddbkd7yuohtful4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Our Knights beat Michigan AGAIN, much more convincingly today, 9-4.

The Knights Softball team moves on to their first NCAA Super Regionals next weekend in Norman, Oklahoma, to take on the No. 1 Sooners (52-2) in a best-of-three series for the spot in the Women’s College World Series.

Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-central-florida-orlando-knights-ncaa-softball-regional-final-20220523-j65n7rrinfaddbkd7yuohtful4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

wow. had no idea.  not bad at all...

The Charge On! Tour arrives at Port Canaveral today:

Tuesday, May 24 – Space Coast
Location: Gator's Dockside (683 Dave Nisbet Drive, Port Canaveral, FL 32920)
Time: 5:30-7:30 p.m.

The Tour will be in Oviedo later this week and in Downtown Orlando in August. Don’t miss this great chance to hear from our coaches and maybe even T.Mo!

The UCF Board of Trustees signed on today for the expansion of the Bounce House and other athletic facilities today. This is just one step closer to being ready to compete in the Big XII in 2023. Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-central-florida-orlando-knights-bot-stadium-expansion-20220526-ephbz5gzsbg67lasujld4pchgq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Don’t forget, the next stop for the Charge On! Tour is this evening in the park at Oviedo. Everyone walk like a chicken and turn out!

The next stop will be in August at the Ace Cafe in Downtown Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

It’s <100 days until college football is back and the first game for our Knights will be Sep 1 at 7:00pm at the Bounce House. 

Look for the colorcast (where have you gone, Tom Snyder?) on ESPN+.

Charge On!

If you Gators out there miss the dulcet tones of Mick Hubert (oh, my!), tune in to UCF’s Marc Daniels, well on his way to becoming the dean of Florida college sports announcing.

Edited by spenser1058

On 5/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, spenser1058 said:

Also, a question for our college sports expert, @jrs2 - why in the world does the Big XII not compete in men’s soccer?

why, thank you for those accolades.

I really don't know.  maybe they hate post-game riots, LOL. 

That's probably a very red conference...although Austin isn't/wasn't...

• Haha 1

Third time’s the charm? Rumor from the Sentinel’s Jason Beede on Twitter is we’ll have a new name for the Bounce House, to the tune of $19.5 mil for ten years. Stay tuned and all you folks in Brevard see if you can keep Randy Fine’s mouth shut this time.

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, the new name is FBC Mortgage Stadium. Not the most exciting but certainly beats the venue named for a quasi-pyramid scheme. We’ll take OK stadium names for $19.5 million, Alex! 

From The Sentinel’s Jason Beede on Twitter.

Hey, FBC Mortgage is on one of the buildings downtown, so, if it's good enough for that, then it's good enough for Bounce.  Is Spectrum losing market share to CenturyLink?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Hey, FBC Mortgage is on one of the buildings downtown, so, if it's good enough for that, then it's good enough for Bounce.  Is Spectrum losing market share to CenturyLink?

Not sure. They opted out a couple of years ago, but cable’s pretty much a declining business these days, so probably keeping their money close. I do like that FBC is headquartered here and doing business in about 20 states. Does that make them larger than local HQ Morgan & Morgan, I wonder?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure. They opted out a couple of years ago, but cable’s pretty much a declining business these days, so probably keeping their money close. I do like that FBC is headquartered here and doing business in about 20 states. Does that make them larger than local HQ Morgan & Morgan, I wonder?

no way...M&M is in almost all the states I think.  But, I did not realize how big FBC Mortgage was.  Wow...

Yeah, cable tv is going by wy of the Dodo for many, but you  will always need internet...and PPV for MMA and Boxing etc and football games...I talk to a lot of people I know that are "afraid" to cut the cord... talk about conditioning...

• Like 1

I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, but as the college football preview tabloids are being released, a funny thing is happening.

Many of them, in their coverage of football here in Florida, have taken to posting pics of four teams instead of the formerly ubiquitous three. No muss, no fuss, as though it’s always been that way. It’s interesting that all of DW’s sturm und drang has led us to a simple fait accompli.

https://mobile.twitter.com/philsteele042/status/1531786034371084288/photo/1

Now we’ll just wait for Finebaum to give us a big hug…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, but as the college football preview tabloids are being released, a funny thing is happening.

Many of them, in their coverage of football here in Florida, have taken to posting pics of four teams instead of the formerly ubiquitous three. No muss, no fuss, as though it’s always been that way. It’s interesting that all of DW’s sturm und drang has led us to a simple fait accompli.

https://mobile.twitter.com/philsteele042/status/1531786034371084288/photo/1

Now we’ll just wait for Finebaum to give us a big hug…

...I wouldn't hold my breath...

• Haha 1

It’s official- UCF is on its way to the Big XII on July 1, 2023. It only cost us $18 million to leave the American but additional revenues from the Big XII should more than make up for in a few years.

Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-big-12-conference-aac-buyout-houston-cincinnati-20220610-ot2v6hesozeb7a5qlwaqh5gq5e-story.html

From The Sentinel