Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

There they go again. When Da poor, hapless Cows FINALLY decided they need an OCS (for years they insisted it was so much better to play in an NFL stadium a dozen or so miles from campus, which charged a ridiculous rent, kept most of the concession money, had all the wrong colors and was much too big for the declining number of fans who showed up), they insisted they were going to build a larger, much better stadium than UCF had. It would be the Taj Mahal of college stadia!

Well, the USF BoT met today and heard plans about their new stadium. Mind you, no action, just a little show and tell. It turns out it’s only going to have 35,000 seats and isn’t much different than UCF’s, just about 20% smaller. Theoretically, it might be ready by 2026, but then Da Cows are known for over promising and underdelivering. Not to worry, though - they were once ranked #2 for one week twenty years ago - they are the best! No bothering with the Big XII, the B1G will be begging them to join them any day now because of their academic superiority thanks to Judy Genshaft. Horns Up, everyone!

Edited by spenser1058

The UCF quarterback who led the football program to prominence as it began its journey upward, Daunte Culpepper, has made an unusual public appearance and say we’ll see more of him as “UCF’s biggest cheerleader”.

And who made it all possible? Well, KZ, of course..

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-football-daunte-culpepper-mission-control-20220618-zqmxfj5xxjacxpxws4klh2snaa-story.html

From The Sentinel 

UCF Football is finally old enough to start having “a past” and some of our best players from previous eras like what they see us becoming:

UCF football greats excited about direction of program
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-football-big-12-reaction-20220620-d4bth7vbnjalpet5zjccs6d77a-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Add Frank Gay Home Services to the UCF sponsor list:

“Beginning with the upcoming 2022 season, the company will provide dedicated Frank Gay cool zone areas within the east and west corridor of the FBC Mortgage Stadium concourses. Each cool zone will offer an area for fans to escape the heat during home football games. As part of the agreement, Frank Gay Services will be represented across UCF's football, basketball and baseball programs and venues.”

The Bounce House is chill - Charge On!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Da Cows have decided they need a real live bull before each game since we have a horse.

What could possibly go wrong with a charging bull?

one of the teams used to castrate a bull before their game with Texas I believe.  I cannot remember who, 

as for charging bulls, I think the folks in places like Texas and Oklahoma are probably better equipped to manage something like that versus, like, RayJay district in Hillsborough...

maybe they just need to get better in football first.  I think The O&B play them this year in Gainesville.

• Like 1

“Former Florida Gators running back Demarkcus Bowman is transferring to UCF, he announced on social media Monday.

Bowman is the second ex-Gator to head to the Orlando school this offseason joining tight end Kemore Gamble.”

From The Sentinel 

I like that. Da Cows, who were recruiting him hard (he’s from Lakeland), are not happy, which makes it even better.

What’s really interesting are the Gators. They also lost a big QB pick to the ‘Canes and the faithful in Hogtown are on social media giving their new coach h**l about recruiting. Given he has yet to coach a game for them, that’s an unusually short honeymoon.

Of course, it’s been typical for the reptiles to do that even before social media existed. It was one of the big reasons The Head Ball Coach left town in the first place. If we ever get that bad at UCF, it will be time to do a Charley Pell.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Former Florida Gators running back Demarkcus Bowman is transferring to UCF, he announced on social media Monday.

Bowman is the second ex-Gator to head to the Orlando school this offseason joining tight end Kemore Gamble.”

From The Sentinel 

I like that. Da Cows, who were recruiting him hard (he’s from Lakeland), are not happy, which makes it even better.

What’s really interesting are the Gators. They also lost a big QB pick to the ‘Canes and the faithful in Hogtown are on social media giving their new coach h**l about recruiting. Given he has yet to coach a game for them, that’s an unusually short honeymoon.

Of course, it’s been typical for the reptiles to do that even before social media existed. It was one of the big reasons The Head Ball Coach left town in the first place. If we ever get that bad at UCF, it will be time to do a Charley Pell.

Rashada...so he committed to UM on Sunday.  It makes sense since Coach Mario was in the PAC for a few short years coaching and recruiting and is a familiar face; Napes is not.  The good thing about it is that if Miami gets relatively good, they'll keep FSU down and create turmoil in the ACC and then they can start cannibalizing each other for once.

Bowman transferring...I can see it b/c Lingard has been getting all the press as becoming a major contributor in 2022.  He and the ULL transfer.  In fact, there was talk the past few weeks that Bowman was not "getting it" ala the system which is why his camp was silent; while Lingard has done interviews and gotten favorable reviews as a RB for 2022.  It's bad news for Bowmen's football acumen because he left Clemson (probably for that reason regardless of what the press wrote).  The reason I say this is because Napier's run-centric offense is not complicated (or shouldn't be). 

Napier is gonna get a lot of grief, I know; but they guy has only been there since the beginning of 2022; less than 6 months.  He is going to have to field a sound football team to get peoples' attention.  There has been some negative views on him b/c he coached at ULL and in Louisiana and not Florida.   That's a lesser division than Wyoming was when MacElwain came; and Muschamp was a CIW at Texas under Mack Brown which gave him some street cred.  Mullen had a Florida presence while at UF but then was at MSU for almost ten years in the SECW; he had street cred.  Meyer came from Utah as a two-for.  His 2004 team was stellar even though they were Mountain West?  Spurrier was at Duke but won the ACC, and coached the Bandits USFL.  Zook had a Florida connection for years and was from the NFL.

Napier has a Saban pedigree to a point.  He is going to have to beat everyone sans UGA and Texas A&M to get respect.  He'll get it with 3 losses.  But if he loses to Stoops and/or Mizzou and/or SoCar- forget it.  If he beats FSU on the road, then he's a hero; same with UT in Knox.  I think the Emory Jones experiment set the team back a year.  Because if Mullen was still the HBC, with AR15 starting in 2022, UF would be favored in those games.  Now, it's a situation where nobody knows what to expect b/c of the RB and WR situation complimenting the QB situation.

I think UCF will benefit from Bowman by having him "name-wise" since he played for Dabo and Mullen; it gives street cred to Gus as UCF coach.  Even if he doesn't pan out.  UCF got Gamble already from UF.  Times are changing...

• Like 1

Poor Auburn - it’s beginning to dawn on them how stupid it was to not only fire Gus but to basically make it possible for him to take the UCF job thanks to his truly golden parachute.

We, of course, are happy to thank them - In Gus We Trust!

https://flywareagle.com/2022/06/27/auburn-football-malzahn-2nd-5-star-ucf/

From Fly War Eagle

This is not your daddy’s Big XII. Instead of hiring a good ol’ boy as the next commissioner (which was widely expected), they went outside the box and hired someone from Roc Nation.

The new blood entering the conference is not afraid to take some risks and it may give us some of the most interesting happenings in the sport. Dare we say it… This Is the FuTUre of College Football?

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/28/big-12-hires-brett-yormark-outsider

From Sports Illustrated 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

Poor Auburn - it’s beginning to dawn on them how stupid it was to not only fire Gus but to basically make it possible for him to take the UCF job thanks to his truly golden parachute.

We, of course, are happy to thank them - In Gus We Trust!

https://flywareagle.com/2022/06/27/auburn-football-malzahn-2nd-5-star-ucf/

From Fly War Eagle

I think Auburn messed up when they fired Tommy Tuberville.  They got impatient with Gus, but, part of that was because, IMO, he allowed Jameis to have the ball one last time and then threw a Prevent Defense at him, costing Auburn the 2013 NC and frustrating Gator fans everywhere, starting with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

I think Auburn messed up when they fired Tommy Tuberville.  They got impatient with Gus, but, part of that was because, IMO, he allowed Jameis to have the ball one last time and then threw a Prevent Defense at him, costing Auburn the 2013 NC and frustrating Gator fans everywhere, starting with me.

I’d certainly rather have Tommy at Auburn than in the US Senate. When it comes to anything outside football, the man is dumb as a stump. Oh, well, it’ll give Herschel someone to talk to if Georgians are silly enough to do that…

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’d certainly rather have Tommy at Auburn than in the US Senate. When it comes to anything outside football, the man is dumb as a stump. Oh, well, it’ll give Herschel someone to talk to if Georgians are silly enough to do that…

That article about Finebaum you posted, the comments following it, man, those UGA trollers are a nasty insufferable bunch. I was close to creating a user account and joining the attack.  But, like Obi Wan Kenobi before me..."i'm getting too old for this sort of thing..."  Too old- maybe not, but a little apathetic to the trash talk because at the end of the day, all teams have up years and down years.  The trash talk almost becomes irrelevant as a result.

I think the last time, as a Gator fan, I really had fire, was the SOS vs Saint Bobby series.  It was that, and SOS vs  Terry Bowden at Auburn also; it was also Meyer vs Richt.  Richt was polarizing in football b/c he was on Saint Bobby's staff.

UGA fans can't stand the fact that they can't beat Bama regularly- they got lucky in the title game b/c of injuries.  And they know that the only way they can win the SECE is if UF has a down year.  Because, when UF is good, they can't win the SECE.  They hate that so they act all superior and stuff.  It's all good; it fuels the rivalry.

This can be a big turn the corner year for Gus and UCF in this new complexion of college football and money being spent era.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

That article about Finebaum you posted, the comments following it, man, those UGA trollers are a nasty insufferable bunch. I was close to creating a user account and joining the attack.  But, like Obi Wan Kenobi before me..."i'm getting too old for this sort of thing..."  Too old- maybe not, but a little apathetic to the trash talk because at the end of the day, all teams have up years and down years.  The trash talk almost becomes irrelevant as a result.

I think the last time, as a Gator fan, I really had fire, was the SOS vs Saint Bobby series.  It was that, and SOS vs  Terry Bowden at Auburn also; it was also Meyer vs Richt.  Richt was polarizing in football b/c he was on Saint Bobby's staff.

UGA fans can't stand the fact that they can't beat Bama regularly- they got lucky in the title game b/c of injuries.  And they know that the only way they can win the SECE is if UF has a down year.  Because, when UF is good, they can't win the SECE.  They hate that so they act all superior and stuff.  It's all good; it fuels the rivalry.

This can be a big turn the corner year for Gus and UCF in this new complexion of college football and money being spent era.

If UF, UGA and UT all end up being good in the same year, I’ll be askeered. Not to mention, who knew UK would ever learn to play football?

Is the SEC going to keep divisions?

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If UF, UGA and UT all end up being good in the same year, I’ll be askeered. Not to mention, who knew UK would ever learn to play football?

Is the SEC going to keep divisions?

I thought they were creating "quads", four of them.  But I haven't heard about it since last year when they announced Oil & Tornadoes joining the league.

Yeah, Kentucky.  Wow.   You know, they used to have Foster Grant's as a HC in the mid to late 90's when they snagged that QB recruit from SOS...what was his name.  UK was dangerous back then.  Then when they had the Pillsbury Throw Boy at QB they were to be taken seriously. May he rest in peace.  He was fun.  But they also had The Bear as HC before he went to Bama.  SO as a program, they do have the ability to be good.

• Like 1

“Former UCF wide receiver Marlon Williams helped the Birmingham Stallions capture the inaugural USFL championship 33-30 over the Philadelphia Stars on Sunday night at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.”

From The Sentinel 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-marlon-williams-usfl-championship-birmingham-stallions-20220704-tvln5jziuveotbh7ocfpwfyrcm-story.html

*BUILT BY UCF*

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Former UCF wide receiver Marlon Williams helped the Birmingham Stallions capture the inaugural USFL championship 33-30 over the Philadelphia Stars on Sunday night at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.”

From The Sentinel 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-knights-marlon-williams-usfl-championship-birmingham-stallions-20220704-tvln5jziuveotbh7ocfpwfyrcm-story.html

*BUILT BY UCF*

they improved that stadium in Canton, BTW, and it looks sweet; not that big, but what's there looks to be first class.

• Like 1