February 9th, 2018

Today was another day of not much more visible change to the naked eye.  There is increased grading being done to the South of the site and abatement continues under wraps toward the North of the site in the pictures below.  One new unique detail is that  FOSS DEMOLITION  banners now adorn all the blue fencing surrounding the site.

L4fGC2C.jpg

tvNisvl.jpg

hLu0CAm.jpg

YeT0IWx.jpg

n0oF3ib.jpg

VfjvMh1.jpg

B4k808G.jpg

• Like 1

February 12th, 2018

Exciting day indeed with the plastic tarp coming down on the North side of the site.  Scaffolding should be removed soon and you can see workers taking down the remaining exterior walls on the 2nd and 1st floors below.  Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

SKKm3OK.jpg

• Like 1

February 13th, 2018

Exterior walls on the 2nd floor are now all removed, scaffolding is being taken down on the North side of the site, and there appears to be a rather large piece of equipment in the front lot of the building on the back of a tractor trailer.  It looks like what might be a crane for aiding in demolition.

dYLEkiT.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green_man said:

I had assumed they were selectively demo-ing and haz mat abatement to prepare the building shell for implosion with explosives.

Should be interesting as they very well could, but I'm not entirely sure they'll be able to implode it as it sits right next to NC-147 and across the street from a car dealership.  They might just take it down floor by floor in the end.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:35 PM, KJHburg said:

The Ramada now Regal in Charlotte at Sugar Creek is now a Quality Inn after a renovation.  If you come to the Queen City don;t stay anywhere at that exit stay further north on Harris Blvd or Concord Mills Blvd both which much newer hotels. 

I think we might be talking about two different hotels. When I was in Charlotte last week, it still had a 'Regal' sign up but looked like they might be getting ready to tear down the hotel.

February 15th, 2018

So first thing first, confirmation that they will not be imploding the structure and will be taking it down in a more controlled fashion.  I reached out to FOSS and they happily provided a response (see below).  It should start getting pretty exciting next week!

pGGOtww.jpg

Now for some pictures to ogle at.  A new big banner has been strung on the top of the building for FOSS DEMOLITION and there is increased activity on site this day, centered around the assembly of the aforementioned high reach excavator / multi-processor (further down this post).

O3S3uEA.jpg

6fBZEd4.jpg

NgN8Y8x.jpg

XzCrvgC.jpg

KndMLTY.jpg

Nc709EJ.jpg

H9dlEZx.jpg

o8Qhqsb.jpg

The two yellow excavators below were being used to assemble this goliath piece of equipment:

WMuTDBI.jpg

It's "better half" that will allow for exceeding reach to take apart the building:

QJZhDJq.jpg

The building now as it stands is nothing more than a shell with some stairs to allow access:

5kXpb9d.jpg

• Like 3

February 16th, 2018

The day that I've at least personally been waiting for is here!

aVOSkIC.gif

For the more entertaining "gory" pics (and a video), scroll to the end of the below series.  They started processing down the building around noon on Friday and in roughly three hours had about 12 of the bays knocked out in the back of the building.  The weather was pretty terrible toward the end of the day so they packed it in shortly thereafter.  I imagine it won't take that long for them to bring this building to the ground now.

kBBZlCg.jpg

Dust is making its way through the front of the building in the below picture, opposite of the demo work:

DhWCGhI.jpg

rcDU0My.jpg

HwUTRbE.jpg    RoHbVtR.jpg

PfdeAXq.jpg

Water that is being sprayed to keep dust levels down is visible at ground level in the area in front of the bays being removed:

EItiTHA.jpg

uQgS0wZ.jpg

WIsHjHK.jpg

Now for the nitty gritty pics (and video) that I'm sure most people will be more fascinated by today:

QJT5iqB.jpg

JHnk5Br.jpg

j62OHMX.jpg

For a rather windy video of this in action:
https://streamable.com/qpsjw

Edited by DPK
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...